• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SS on a non-witnessed signed-exclusive variant?

24 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, SBRobin said:

I didn't even think there was anything wrong with doing that. I figured it was just a way to get around a technicality in order to get a Universal label on a book that ordinarily would always be a Qualified label since it has a non-witnessed signature. The purpose of that would purely be to avoid the inherent stigma of the qualified label rather than trying any act of deception. I know if the artist signed in a different place it would still be qualified because it has a second unwitnessed signature, but I thought maybe by signing directly over the original, it would "cancel it out" and CGC wouldn't have an issue with it since you're not trying to pass off a second unauthenticated signature. I realize now I asked my original question incorrectly. I should have asked if CGC would give a Universal label on the variant rather than a qualified, since they know the sig is legit. I realize now though that this is just too rare of a circumstance for it to be practical for them to have an exception for.

Regarding this variant, yes, it was limited to 100 issues and every one was signed by Dan, except for one which was signed by Joss Whedon. I would like my copy slabbed but I just don't want a green label, even though anyone who buys it has a guarantee that the Dan signature is legit. The person who tries to sell the Dan + Joss copy though can only guarantee the Dan signature

If you're really against green labels, you can submit the book and ask for a Universal label.  They'll give it to you, but the signature will be counted as a defect, meaning the grade will be quite low.  

The amount they deduct depends on the size and location of the signature.  If it's a big Sharpie signature right in the middle of the art, it'll get docked a lot.  If it's small and out of the way, not so much.  If the book is otherwise a 9.8 and the signature is an "average" size, expect a 7.5-8.0.

Personally, I don't mind Qualified labels, but there is a stigma about them for sure.  

On 2/7/2019 at 10:44 AM, Turtle said:

Believe it or not, this very thought has been brought up dozens of times on these boards over the years.  I'm very glad to hear that you won't be doing this.  It speaks to your character.  (thumbsu

Basically, this would be a form of deception.  CGC has stated that they are not on board with this practice and books will be graded either with a sizable grade penalty or it's possible they'd refuse to grade the book.  I wouldn't recommend attempting to get an artist to sign over an old signature in an attempt to cover it up and pass it off as Signature Series.

I don't know much about this particular Buffy variant.  You say it was limited to 100 issues and Dan signed all of them.  Does this mean the variant itself only has 100 copies and Dan signed each one?  Or does this mean that out of all the copies printed, Dan signed 100 as some form of limited edition run?  In other words, is the only difference between the regular version and the variant Dan's signature?

What about having the Artist (since it is him or her) do a sketch or remark over their own signature and then re-submit?  For example if I have a TMNT #1 first print signed by Eastman in the 90's.  When i submit it, it would be green label.  But if i take it to him at a con and ask him to sketch over it and resign, CGC at the con should be able to give a yellow label right?  The only visible sig would be eastmans...over eastmans... :)  Q.

On 2/7/2019 at 8:57 PM, Turtle said:

If you're really against green labels, you can submit the book and ask for a Universal label.  They'll give it to you, but the signature will be counted as a defect, meaning the grade will be quite low.  

The amount they deduct depends on the size and location of the signature.  If it's a big Sharpie signature right in the middle of the art, it'll get docked a lot.  If it's small and out of the way, not so much.  If the book is otherwise a 9.8 and the signature is an "average" size, expect a 7.5-8.0.

Personally, I don't mind Qualified labels, but there is a stigma about them for sure.  

Maybe its the color and name.  Maybe instead of green use a more mentally accepting cover, or heck even a transparent label?  And not call them qualified, the term basically means like "you barely or just made it".  I think its all about the presentation that makes the difference.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 5:09 PM, Cypress City Comics said:

What about having the Artist (since it is him or her) do a sketch or remark over their own signature and then re-submit?  For example if I have a TMNT #1 first print signed by Eastman in the 90's.  When i submit it, it would be green label.  But if i take it to him at a con and ask him to sketch over it and resign, CGC at the con should be able to give a yellow label right?  The only visible sig would be eastmans...over eastmans... :)  Q.

Where is the signature?  Is it on the cover or on the first page/interior cover.

Most of their 80's and 90's signatures were interior signatures.  These were often placed in unobtrusive areas and reasonably sized.  As such, they did not impact the grade and they still received a blue label.  There are TONS of examples of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd print copies signed by Eastman and/or Laird in blue label slabs that were not docked a grade.

While there are times where having an artist cover something up is fine, my personal opinion is that this likely isn't one of those times.  If you can post a picture, it would help.  You should definitely get a few opinions on it before doing what you are considering.