• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze X-Men...moving up? Underappreciated?
3 3

32 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Only the monstrously rare #97-99 and 107 are tougher in 9.8,

I was curious, so I looked it up. There are 25-40 copies of each in 9.8. I could see "relatively scarce", but "monstrously rare"? hm

Maybe I am jaded from collecting legitimately rare golden age (less than 10 total census copies on desirable issues), but I have trouble seeing rare and bronze X-Men in the same sentence. 

1 hour ago, october said:

I was curious, so I looked it up. There are 25-40 copies of each in 9.8. I could see "relatively scarce", but "monstrously rare"? hm

Maybe I am jaded from collecting legitimately rare golden age (less than 10 total census copies on desirable issues), but I have trouble seeing rare and bronze X-Men in the same sentence. 

It's all relative.

There are 538 blue label 9.8 X-Men #141.

21 hours ago, spidermanbeyond said:

Someone got a great deal in 9/2017 for $315.  A little over 1 year and 5x return on investment!

Someone got the ultimate deal buying two copies at the time of their release from their local store and kept them in pristine condition.  :flipbait:

23 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yeah, that's pretty crazy. #131 is as hard to get in 9.8 as many of the earlier ones, like #116, 114, 104, 95. Only the monstrously rare #97-99 and 107 are tougher in 9.8,

That said, I suspect this sale will drive some out of the woodwork...

Someone must've reeeely wanted the white pages on that 131! Lone Star comics has a 9.8 ow/w for around 1100

107 has gone bonkers in comparison to 97-99!!! I mean is first full Starjammers that huge of a deal? It's not even the first appearance. I don't get that one ???

12 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

107 has gone bonkers in comparison to 97-99!!! I mean is first full Starjammers that huge of a deal? It's not even the first appearance. I don't get that one ???

I love 107.  It's the hulk181 for Starjammers which is not bad spec... and that Dave Cockrum cover is awesome.

Bronze Age X-Men (back issues) is when I knew I wanted to be a comic collector, specifically when I got to the end of X-Men 99 and the little blurb at the end said something like Next Issue - The New Team Vs. The Old Team! It was a hand me down comic from one of my older brothers, coverless, and it was completely different than any comic I could remember. Before this revelation, I was stuck with hokey DC Superman stories or Archies.

1 hour ago, mrwoogieman said:

Bronze Age X-Men (back issues) is when I knew I wanted to be a comic collector, specifically when I got to the end of X-Men 99 and the little blurb at the end said something like Next Issue - The New Team Vs. The Old Team! It was a hand me down comic from one of my older brothers, coverless, and it was completely different than any comic I could remember. Before this revelation, I was stuck with hokey DC Superman stories or Archies.

I feel ya on that last page! It was right after old team cyclops knocks out new team cyclops from behind. The page is one big panel like a splash page similar to the 100 cover if I remember it right hm. Just amazing storytelling from Claremont! Guy's a genius!

It all takes place in orbit while they were still trying to figure out how to get back to earth without burning up. Of course that's where Jean volunteers later &  well... rest is history right...

Edited by MGsimba77