• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sales Thread To Benefit Local Comic Collector Gary Maulsby
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!  As I'm sure all of you know.  Local comic book collecting social circles are a very tight group.  It was brought to my attention that a collector and comic enthusiast here in Tulsa, OK needs some help with medical expenses.  As such, some of the local guys shared his GoFundMe link with me https://www.gofundme.com/gary-maulsby-needs-our-help and I said "Hey!  I'm not sure if it still goes on, but on the CGC boards we used to hold benefit sales for collectors in need, so I could try starting a thread there."  So here I am.  Now I know that we typically reserve these types of threads for members here specifically, but the man is a collector and I'm honestly not sure if he's a member here or not. 

I'll be posting a couple of books for sale and all funds received will go directly to Gary Maulsby to help him and his family out in their time of need.  I don't know Gary well, in fact I've only met him a couple of times at local comic conventions where he and his nephew have shopped through my comics...but I do know from reading his GoFundMe page that he's a good guy and a very integral part of his family.  If you would like to sell a book in this thread to contribute please feel free to do so.  If you would prefer to just donate via the GoFundMe link then you are also encouraged to do that.  Each seller may choose whether or not they wish to cover shipping or charge to the buyer.

No HOS/Probation. 

:takeit:in the thread trumps any and  all PM deals.  If it's not marked sold in the thread then it is still live and available for sale.  So as a buyer I encourage you to mark :takeit: in case your seller is slow to mark sold.

Claim the item in this thread but make your payment directly on the go fund me link provided above.  If you choose anonymous then a screenshot of your receipt will be required before items are shipped.  

If you have any questions please let me know.  Thanks!

Edited by comicalgems
Modify payment terms

13 hours ago, comicalgems said:

Hello everyone!  As I'm sure all of you know.  Local comic book collecting social circles are a very tight group.  It was brought to my attention that a collector and comic enthusiast here in Tulsa, OK needs some help with medical expenses.  As such, some of the local guys shared his GoFundMe link with me https://www.gofundme.com/gary-maulsby-needs-our-help and I said "Hey!  I'm not sure if it still goes on, but on the CGC boards we used to hold benefit sales for collectors in need, so I could try starting a thread there."  So here I am.  Now I know that we typically reserve these types of threads for members here specifically, but the man is a collector and I'm honestly not sure if he's a member here or not. 

I'll be posting a couple of books for sale and all funds received will go directly to Gary Maulsby to help him and his family out in their time of need.  I don't know Gary well, in fact I've only met him a couple of times at local comic conventions where he and his nephew have shopped through my comics...but I do know from reading his GoFundMe page that he's a good guy and a very integral part of his family.  If you would like to sell a book in this thread to contribute please feel free to do so.  If you would prefer to just donate via the GoFundMe link then you are also encouraged to do that.  Each seller may choose whether or not they wish to cover shipping or charge to the buyer.

No HOS/Probation. 

:takeit:in the thread trumps any and  all PM deals.  If it's not marked sold in the thread then it is still live and available for sale.  So as a buyer I encourage you to mark :takeit: in case your seller is slow to mark sold.

If you have any questions please let me know.  Thanks!

He seems like a good guy. Very tough situation. Sent a donation... Cheers CG.

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

Very nice of you, Jason. I do have one question, do the payments for books go directly to the gofundme page?

One of his friends has offered to field Paypal payments so it does t get hard to verify what’s what.  His specific request is that any payments be noted “For Gary and this item _____” any straight cash donations can go to the go fund me page.  It was actually this friend that approached a group of us Tulsa collectors to see if we could help.  

Of of course Sharon you have lots more experience with these type of threads so if you have suggestions then I’m certainly open to hearing them.

6 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Not trying to stir anything up, but aren't charity threads for boardies?

I did one for Puerto Rican relief; people are free to participate or not as they like. No rules about that that I'm aware of.

2 hours ago, comicalgems said:

One of his friends has offered to field Paypal payments so it does t get hard to verify what’s what.  His specific request is that any payments be noted “For Gary and this item _____” any straight cash donations can go to the go fund me page.  It was actually this friend that approached a group of us Tulsa collectors to see if we could help.  

Of of course Sharon you have lots more experience with these type of threads so if you have suggestions then I’m certainly open to hearing them.

Well, if you do PP to a friend of his, the friend may be liable for taxes since it's not a registered charity. Also if there are a lot of payments, PP can freeze that person's account if you try to make them personal.  Besides board rules now state you cannot ask for Personal PP so there are the same kind of fees that Gofundme charges.  Also unfortunately you don't really know that all the money will get to the right place, things happen.

We've done Paypal directly into the person's account, that works best I think. But we've also done them with payments directly to a gofundme page...just recently with Brittany...it worked well. You can see the payment on the page so you know where the money went and if someone wants to be anonymous, then they can show you the receipt from the gofundme page.

4 hours ago, Hudson said:

I think it is really nice of the OP to try and reach out and help others, regardless of “membership”.   

Thanks.  Like I said, I don't know if he has a board name or not.  He could be a boardie that mainly lurks and reads threads or maybe he's not at all?  I just know the local guys wanted to help do something and we're discussing doing some sort of mini convention to raise money for him.  I have seen the generosity on these message boards in the past and I thought this would be a great place to try to help raise some funds for someone that loves comic books and loves his family and shares his passion for comics with his nephew (next generation) and seems like a genuinely nice guy.