• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key Collector App - What's the verdict?
2 2

390 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Key Collector Comics said:

That's funny. "You made me go back and look."  Then, "experienced collectors don't need the app."  You definitely have the wrong idea about the app. I don't think collecting key issues discourages anyone from reading a comic book and I think if they're inclined to read, they're going to do it.  I can tell you that I get emails on a daily basis that express how easily Key Collector helped someone get into comics or back into comics.  An email I haven't received yet is someone saying it destroyed their love for comics.  If young collectors are using the app then its getting them more engaged in the hobby and in doing so, while being in the community or seeing something that piques their curiosity on the app, there's a better possibility they'll put the effort forth to read.  There are a lot of categories that focus on the interesting points of a run and there are plans for future features that helps to onboard readers to titles.

Your app is this generation's version of the guy walking around a con with a Wizard magazine, where he's highlighted all the keys he's supposed to buy, but only less than guide.  Those guys were a waste of space and air at every con they attended, and now we have you to thank for the new batch.

I'd like to know what the process is for verifying the info being added to the that. In the early stages of this app, I believe it was over on Valiantman's site, that feedback was requested on it. I noticed that the wrong issue had been listed for the first appearance of one of the Valiant characters, and called it out. It was changed in the app, but if I had called out the wrong issue, would it have been changed to that? Is someone reading all the relevant issues? Referring to online wikis, which anyone can manipulate?

There are obviously other aspects to the app, but I agree that this is gonna be a go-to tool for the tools who want to "invest" in comic books (and therefor reduce the quantity available to real collectors, or people who know what they're doing otherwise).

It highlights the aspect that appeal to those tools. It's kinda how CVS used to appeal to thieves by having the worst Return Policy ever. It's gonna have a negative stigma attached, unfortunately.

I have no use for it, but good luck.

30 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Your app is this generation's version of the guy walking around a con with a Wizard magazine, where he's highlighted all the keys he's supposed to buy, but only less than guide.  Those guys were a waste of space and air at every con they attended, and now we have you to thank for the new batch.

But you use my app.  You even said so on this thread.  Do you also still have your highlighted wizards?

7 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I'd like to know what the process is for verifying the info being added to the that. In the early stages of this app, I believe it was over on Valiantman's site, that feedback was requested on it. I noticed that the wrong issue had been listed for the first appearance of one of the Valiant characters, and called it out. It was changed in the app, but if I had called out the wrong issue, would it have been changed to that? Is someone reading all the relevant issues? Referring to online wikis, which anyone can manipulate?

The valiant information actually came straight from Valiant.  They had a proprietary list of character first appearances that they kept on their site.   They might still have it up.  I’m not sure how updated it is. 

When I enter something new I’ll check multiple sources online.  I never allow anything to be entered from checking two sources alone. If three sources agree and I feel confident about it, I might enter it but I’m very cautious of that even and usually cross reference the actual comic online, making sure to check the preceding issue for a cameo.  

There are over 14k key issues in the database now which is double what we launched with.  While I can’t say with 100% confidence that there aren’t any mistakes I can say with 100% confidence that it is the most accurate and I owe a lot of that to the people who have reached out to make corrections.  The great thing about the technology is being able to make immediate changes so if you told me x was wrong, x could be fixed within seconds  

17 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

There are obviously other aspects to the app, but I agree that this is gonna be a go-to tool for the tools who want to "invest" in comic books (and therefor reduce the quantity available to real collectors, or people who know what they're doing otherwise).

It highlights the aspect that appeal to those tools. It's kinda how CVS used to appeal to thieves by having the worst Return Policy ever. It's gonna have a negative stigma attached, unfortunately.

I have no use for it, but good luck.

CVS the pharmacy?

Just now, Key Collector Comics said:

CVS the pharmacy?

Yes. I worked there as a Manager for a few years. I think corporate/regional return policies have changed since I left years ago, but a thief could make hundreds of dollars/day with their stupid policies. It pissed me off when I worked there.

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Yes. I worked there as a Manager for a few years. I think corporate/regional return policies have changed since I left years ago, but a thief could make hundreds of dollars/day with their stupid policies. It pissed me off when I worked there.

I say this respectfully but you're just making assumptions on who is using the information that you have not necessarily witnessed firsthand (the person using it or the information therein) and comparing it to thievery. Take into consideration that there is A LOT going on in the world of comics.  Daily and often in an instant.  Its impossible to keep up unless it is your job to literally monitor the market.  I'm not even saying as a shop owner, monitoring the market because there is a ton of admin, ordering, customer service and thousand other things going on where it makes it difficult to be plugged in constantly.  So while there are different people using it for different reasons, I believe most are using it to be aware.  I mean, talk about stealing and taking advantage - there are enough sellers doing that on ebay. If nothing else, the app is a good preventive measure because its giving honest information and communicating whats trending. Also if there's some funny business going on, we'll call it out.  Look at our warning on the app for the AOC comic or check out the Rags video on YouTube Key Collector channel. I'd recommend just looking into SLIGHTLY before making such bold statements. Regardless, thank you for commenting

1 minute ago, Key Collector Comics said:

I say this respectfully but you're just making assumptions on who is using the information that you have not necessarily witnessed firsthand (the person using it or the information therein) and comparing it to thievery. Take into consideration that there is A LOT going on in the world of comics.  Daily and often in an instant.  Its impossible to keep up unless it is your job to literally monitor the market.  I'm not even saying as a shop owner, monitoring the market because there is a ton of admin, ordering, customer service and thousand other things going on where it makes it difficult to be plugged in constantly.  So while there are different people using it for different reasons, I believe most are using it to be aware.  I mean, talk about stealing and taking advantage - there are enough sellers doing that on ebay. If nothing else, the app is a good preventive measure because its giving honest information and communicating whats trending. Also if there's some funny business going on, we'll call it out.  Look at our warning on the app for the AOC comic or check out the Rags video on YouTube Key Collector channel. I'd recommend just looking into SLIGHTLY before making such bold statements. Regardless, thank you for commenting

Wooooooooow you took this way too literally. I wasn't attacking you or your app, or comparing it to thievery, and you're taking this way too personally.

If you're delusional enough to think that the people who come here asking for the 'flavor of the week I can flip next year' are not going to use this app, then ignorance truly is bliss...

17 minutes ago, Key Collector Comics said:

But you use my app.  You even said so on this thread.  Do you also still have your highlighted wizards?

The valiant information actually came straight from Valiant.  They had a proprietary list of character first appearances that they kept on their site.   They might still have it up.  I’m not sure how updated it is. 

When I enter something new I’ll check multiple sources online.  I never allow anything to be entered from checking two sources alone. If three sources agree and I feel confident about it, I might enter it but I’m very cautious of that even and usually cross reference the actual comic online, making sure to check the preceding issue for a cameo.  

There are over 14k key issues in the database now which is double what we launched with.  While I can’t say with 100% confidence that there aren’t any mistakes I can say with 100% confidence that it is the most accurate and I owe a lot of that to the people who have reached out to make corrections.  The great thing about the technology is being able to make immediate changes so if you told me x was wrong, x could be fixed within seconds  

I was a fan of the original Valiant, so I've been following the new company since the re-launch, and I've never seen a page like what you're describing. Greg (Valiantman) who runs the Valiantfans site, has had info like that on his site, but that's a fan site, not an official site. And while I trust that he tries to keep the information accurate, I would think that an independent verification of the information one is adding to their own app is important if they're not getting it from the source. I'm assuming that that's where the information comes from, as the issue I am referring to had been incorrectly listed in the price guide there. 

12 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I was a fan of the original Valiant, so I've been following the new company since the re-launch, and I've never seen a page like what you're describing. Greg (Valiantman) who runs the Valiantfans site, has had info like that on his site, but that's a fan site, not an official site. And while I trust that he tries to keep the information accurate, I would think that an independent verification of the information one is adding to their own app is important if they're not getting it from the source. I'm assuming that that's where the information comes from, as the issue I am referring to had been incorrectly listed in the price guide there. 

It was awhile back so I’m a little foggy on what link took me there but I received it from Dinesh who ran Valiant at the time.  I’m fairly certain it was internal. I’ll have to ask 

22 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Wooooooooow you took this way too literally. I wasn't attacking you or your app, or comparing it to thievery, and you're taking this way too personally.

If you're delusional enough to think that the people who come here asking for the 'flavor of the week I can flip next year' are not going to use this app, then ignorance truly is bliss...

I’m not taking it personally and definitely didn’t feel attacked by you.   I was just responding to the comparison.  If you didn’t mean it that way maybe someone else who doesn’t know much about what we’re talking about could’ve taken it that way so I was covering all points. 

I think there are definitely people who are interested in flipping and they have their reasons.  Let’s not forget that new comics cost $4 best case scenario.  If someone is flipping maybe they’re supplementing their collecting.  Or paying some bills. 

3 minutes ago, Key Collector Comics said:

I’m not taking it personally and definitely didn’t feel attacked by you.   I was just responding to the comparison.  If you didn’t mean it that way maybe someone else who doesn’t know much about what we’re talking about could’ve taken it that way so I was covering all points. 

I think there are definitely people who are interested in flipping and they have their reasons.  Let’s not forget that new comics cost $4 best case scenario.  If someone is flipping maybe they’re supplementing their collecting.  Or paying some bills. 

The attraction, which was clearly defined by me, of thieves to CVS is the same as "comic investors" to this app. Any further inference is unrelated and not implied. Comic flippers, who are a disservice to the hobby, will be attracted to the app.

4 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Seriously? This guy is being criticized for making this app? :facepalm:

I'm not criticizing the guy, just telling him that in fact the speculators/flippers are gonna gravitate towards it since "keys" are being highlighted feature. I don't care one way or another. I wish we'd have less of them to reduce inflation, but whatever. There will likely never be a time without them.

14 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Seriously? This guy is being criticized for making this app? :facepalm:

8 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I'm not criticizing the guy, just telling him that in fact the speculators/flippers are gonna gravitate towards it since "keys" are being highlighted feature. I don't care one way or another. I wish we'd have less of them to reduce inflation, but whatever. There will likely never be a time without them.

Speculation is a fraction of the app and there are other groups like on Facebook that are better suited for speculation and flipping.  As I said, it’s primarily about helping people identify the milestone moments in comics and other gems.  In the span of 85 years, quite a bit has been published.  This is meant to help navigate through it all. If you’re a collector you’ll appreciate it.