• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key Collector App - What's the verdict?
2 2

390 posts in this topic

Just now, Key Collector Comics said:

Speculation is a fraction of the app and there are other groups like on Facebook that are better suited for speculation and flipping.  As I said, it’s primarily about helping people identify the milestone moments in comics and other gems.  In the span of 85 years, quite a bit has been published.  This is meant to help navigate through it all. If you’re a collector you’ll appreciate it. 

Which is exactly what speculators, flippers, and "investors" are looking for. You're reiterating what I'm already calling it out for being.

32 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

The attraction, which was clearly defined by me, of thieves to CVS is the same as "comic investors" to this app. Any further inference is unrelated and not implied. Comic flippers, who are a disservice to the hobby, will be attracted to the app.

There are as many flipers in this hobby as there are collectors, there are probably more flippers who are collectors than purely collectors. There are people like myself who use the ap strictly for entertainment value. Do you know how many "blue chip" collectors and dealers began as flippers? This is a fun hobby, no need to diminish the enjoyment others feel by your personal views.

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Which is exactly what speculators, flippers, and "investors" are looking for. You're reiterating what I'm already calling it out for being.

Or maybe this is your view. What if you were like "what is the first appearance of Satana" well, just open the Ap and punch it in. What is the first appearance of Wildcat from the JSA? Punch that in. Wanna know the first time Steve Rogers appeared as the US Agent? Punch it in.   It's not just about money.

On 2/2/2019 at 5:42 PM, Spidey 62 said:

I can be a nit picker but what the heck.  I like the app for what it is, but I hate that they have password parameters.  8 characters, one cap and one small.  I am sooooooo sick of passwords.  It is a comic book app...1234 will do as a password.  Sorry, can't help it. 

I recommend using LastPass or 1Password.

I really feel it’s the branding of the app that’s rubbing some people the wrong way. Providing an informational resource where I can go to look up comics, artists, characters, publishing data  etc in an app sounds great!

But calling it “Key collector” and emphasizing every little nuance in a book as a “key”, it is CLEARLY aimed at all of the FOMO junkies who think all the dollar bin books in their investment portfolio are going to pay for their kids college one day. 

Market it as the ultimate comic book index/resource and let people use it however they wish. But I suppose calling it key collector and charging for exclusive “Super key hunting info” so people are led to believe their dollar bin drek is retirement fund material makes more sense 

21 minutes ago, Old Fashion PB and J said:

There are as many flipers in this hobby as there are collectors, there are probably more flippers who are collectors than purely collectors. There are people like myself who use the ap strictly for entertainment value. Do you know how many "blue chip" collectors and dealers began as flippers? This is a fun hobby, no need to diminish the enjoyment others feel by your personal views.

Personal views? Just facts, man. Nothing personal about it.

19 minutes ago, Old Fashion PB and J said:

Or maybe this is your view. What if you were like "what is the first appearance of Satana" well, just open the Ap and punch it in. What is the first appearance of Wildcat from the JSA? Punch that in. Wanna know the first time Steve Rogers appeared as the US Agent? Punch it in.   It's not just about money.

Or, it's just factual. Nothing perceptive about it. I never said it had anything to do about money. Speculators and flippers will be all over it, though.

8 minutes ago, speedcake said:

I really feel it’s the branding of the app that’s rubbing some people the wrong way. Providing an informational resource where I can go to look up comics, artists, characters, publishing data  etc in an app sounds great!

But calling it “Key collector” and emphasizing every little nuance in a book as a “key”, it is CLEARLY aimed at all of the FOMO junkies who think all the dollar bin books in their investment portfolio are going to pay for their kids college one day. 

Market it as the ultimate comic book index/resource and let people use it however they wish. But I suppose calling it key collector and charging for exclusive “Super key hunting info” so people are led to believe their dollar bin drek is retirement fund material makes more sense 

Very accurate.

I think we all understand that the app has "more" to it. It specifically appeals to a certain type of person, though, rather than the hobby-at-whole.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Yes. I worked there as a Manager for a few years. I think corporate/regional return policies have changed since I left years ago, but a thief could make hundreds of dollars/day with their stupid policies. It pissed me off when I worked there.

37 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Not necessarily. Speculators and flippers look for whats hot now or whats going to be hot to get in cheap on and resell when it hits. It doesn't make sense to really have the conversation with someone who is already adamantly opposed to looking at the app yourself. I mean let's face it...you're pretty much speculating on what its about 🤭

24 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Collector implies you are collecting it and keeping it.  But how you described it in the second sentence is exactly what it is.  

Not necessarily. Speculators and flippers look for whats hot now or whats going to be hot to get in cheap on and resell when it hits. It doesn't make sense to really have the conversation with someone who is already adamantly opposed to looking at the app yourself. I mean let's face it...you're pretty much speculating on what its about 🤭

It doesn't make sense to really have the conversation with someone who consistently infers things that are not being communicated.

I've looked at the app myself. You've literally conveyed and reiterated points that I've already posted. Again, if ignorance is bliss...

Your speculation of me/my posts is about as good as Swami's and Hollywood's on comics. lol

Collector implies you are collecting it and keeping it.  But how you described it in the second sentence is exactly what it is.  

Well sure, calling it "dollar bin key investor" would have been a little too on the nose  ;)

On 2/3/2019 at 6:44 PM, ComicsAndCode said:

I might be in the minority with my opinion, but I think this app does a disservice to the comic hobby. It pretty  much fosters the speculator mentally of collecting and sadly it does have the ability to artificially inflate prices of “key” issues. Also there is little visibility in what goes into valuation, what is the data sample size and data sources.

Too gimmicky for me.

On 2/3/2019 at 7:28 PM, jcjames said:

So does every " XYZ Age Books That Are Heating Up" thread on this forum. 

And my comment about the Gibbon issue also being stan's last solo ASM story was partly tongue in cheek. It's actually a personal key for me for that reason. I know I'll never own his FIRST stories in each title, but I can own each of his last. 

Quite opposite actually. If it appears on KC it has the ability to move the market. It would then subsequently be listed in the "heating up" thread on here. If you are buying at that point, it's most likely too late as the market has already moved. Speculation is buying before the move.

I have it in my phone and it’s helpful for me ... I like to think I have a fairly decent photographic memory but it is helpful when doing complete runs ( I also have master lists on my phone ) and the app doesn’t take up a lot of space 

I think the dollar bin stuff is a pretty cool caviat , but again I’m a collector first .

1 hour ago, Old Fashion PB and J said:

This is perfect.  This is the intention.  Comic history. What happened in which issue.  Thank you

1 hour ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

I have it in my phone and it’s helpful for me ... I like to think I have a fairly decent photographic memory but it is helpful when doing complete runs ( I also have master lists on my phone ) and the app doesn’t take up a lot of space 

I think the dollar bin stuff is a pretty cool caviat , but again I’m a collector first .

Im glad you're liking it.  Thanks for adding to the conversation

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

It doesn't make sense to really have the conversation with someone who consistently infers things that are not being communicated.

I've looked at the app myself. You've literally conveyed and reiterated points that I've already posted. Again, if ignorance is bliss...

Your speculation of me/my posts is about as good as Swami's and Hollywood's on comics. lol

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Congrats on becoming a key player in the market we all trade in. 

Here are some words of wisdom from someone you'd probably appreciate hearing:

"With great power comes great responsibility"

Best wishes 

A&L

Thank you.