• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key Collector App - What's the verdict?
2 2

390 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Old Fashion PB and J said:

Or maybe this is your view. What if you were like "what is the first appearance of Satana" well, just open the Ap and punch it in. What is the first appearance of Wildcat from the JSA? Punch that in. Wanna know the first time Steve Rogers appeared as the US Agent? Punch it in.   It's not just about money.

15 minutes ago, Key Collector Comics said:

This is perfect.  This is the intention.  Comic history. What happened in which issue.  Thank you

Sure, if you're getting it right, there's no problem with that.

What does the board think an acceptable % correct would be?

I like the app quite a lot, I am in my late 40s and buy collections and it is an easy to use resource when looking at newer comics to help me determine if there is any value.

I am primarily a vintage comic collector and didn’t know much about moderns and this app has helped educate me in that regard.

Speculation will always be a part of this hobby and one app isn’t going to change anything.

5 minutes ago, Gaard said:

"I don't agree with your definition of the word 'key', therefore your app is invalid."

I sense irony...

I disagree with there being 14,000 "key" comic books, but I'm no expert by any means. That number seems very, excessively, high.

4 hours ago, Old Fashion PB and J said:

Or maybe this is your view. What if you were like "what is the first appearance of Satana" well, just open the Ap and punch it in. What is the first appearance of Wildcat from the JSA? Punch that in. Wanna know the first time Steve Rogers appeared as the US Agent? Punch it in.   It's not just about money.

I would like to know the first time Steve Rogers appeared as the US Agent. Can you help me with that?

To say 14,000 books are of paramount or crucial importance may be a stretch, if we are going by the true meaning of the word.  If it's a term the hobby is using to denote ANY level of importance, that's another story..

I have (and am currently paying yearly for) the app. The free tools you get are good enough to keep track of a lot of "time tested keys". You pay for the notifications when something gets optioned, etc. Nice to not have to check a dozen websites to find out, however one could find many of the "alerts" via other news sources if you spent all day watching for them. 

Are we really debating his use of the term key in his app name and applying that designation to any 1st appearance or note worthy issue?  I'm not a fan of the app due to it giving the lay person valuable info without doing any of the leg work but I'm sure the guys who knew how to do intense math problems by hand were pissed about the 1st calculator.  I mark it up as progress and move on.

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

Are we really debating his use of the term key in his app name and applying that designation to any 1st appearance or note worthy issue?  I'm not a fan of the app due to it giving the lay person valuable info without doing any of the leg work but I'm sure the guys who knew how to do intense math problems by hand were pissed about the 1st calculator.  I mark it up as progress and move on.

Ha! That's a good way to look at it. I agree for those of us who spent years learning and memorizing, it seems like an unearned leveling of the playing field so to speak. 

I only recently started collecting comics and this app has really helped me learn about what issues are significant appearances or covers by famous artist and the like. The values given aren't exact but they give you a good idea of which books are the more highly sought after and which are significant somehow but not necessarily worth a lot of money. I use it all the time and it has really helped grow my knowledge base faster than I could've done it without the app.

5 hours ago, Shaun C89 said:

I like the app quite a lot, I am in my late 40s and buy collections and it is an easy to use resource when looking at newer comics to help me determine if there is any value.

I am primarily a vintage comic collector and didn’t know much about moderns and this app has helped educate me in that regard.

Speculation will always be a part of this hobby and one app isn’t going to change anything.

I’m happy to know it’s helping Shaun. Thanks for chiming in 

5 hours ago, OrangeNemesis said:

I actually just found out about the app and I like it. Especially scrolling through titles I normally never collect and finding out about first app's etc.

people are always gonna hate on things. Let people enjoy stuff.

I’d love to know how you found out about it 

4 hours ago, Gaard said:

"I don't agree with your definition of the word 'key', therefore your app is invalid."

I wish you were around during the concept phase.