• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key Collector App - What's the verdict?
2 2

390 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

What I would like to know is where the valuations come from. I've used the app occasionally, but so far the values for the books I've checked weren't matching other research I was doing. 

Raw eBay sales, averaged then pulled back 10-15%. True price guidance not precision valuation.  The goal is for collectors to be happy with their purchase and encourage a lifelong enjoyment of comics. As I’m sure everyone is aware, there are a lot of discouraging practices that occur. 

4 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I sense irony...

I disagree with there being 14,000 "key" comic books, but I'm no expert by any means. That number seems very, excessively, high.

I’ve had people say the opposite.  Keep in mind the first standard comic to hit the newsstand was in 1934. There have been a lot of comics published since then

10 hours ago, Key Collector Comics said:

It was awhile back so I’m a little foggy on what link took me there but I received it from Dinesh who ran Valiant at the time.  I’m fairly certain it was internal. I’ll have to ask 

Dinesh was a member of the Valiant Fans board before he purchased the Valiant rights, so he could have pointed you to the site as reliable information. Which it is, but I think it's understandable to be wary of someone who isn't a regular reader of that – or any other – board to automatically trust the info that's published there. 

9 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Sure, if you're getting it right, there's no problem with that.

What does the board think an acceptable % correct would be?

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I was being snarky. Steve Rogers was never US Agent.

Ahhh....snarky. Or publicly attempt to discredit my business.  Well I'm glad I passed your test. That would've been embarrassing...possibly damaging.

13 hours ago, Key Collector Comics said:

But you use my app.  You even said so on this thread.  Do you also still have your highlighted wizards?

That's a lie.  Show me where I said that.  Have never, will never.  I saw a Youtube video on how to use the app, had a big belly laugh, and moved on with my life.

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

Add a key rating to the app?

I think thats really a fantastic idea.  Thank you.  Yes then you can filter by the rating.  Or price I suppose but maybe have a crowd sourced rating (provided people don't try to create bogus ratings...we'd have to see).  Thank you for that suggestion. Please reach out with any others. 

12 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

That's a lie.  Show me where I said that.  Have never, will never.  I saw a Youtube video on how to use the app, had a big belly laugh, and moved on with my life.

Gran Turino is back. Its not a lie. I misunderstood you.   Thanks for clarifying

8 hours ago, Rhymenoceros said:

To say 14,000 books are of paramount or crucial importance may be a stretch, if we are going by the true meaning of the word.  If it's a term the hobby is using to denote ANY level of importance, that's another story..

I have (and am currently paying yearly for) the app. The free tools you get are good enough to keep track of a lot of "time tested keys". You pay for the notifications when something gets optioned, etc. Nice to not have to check a dozen websites to find out, however one could find many of the "alerts" via other news sources if you spent all day watching for them. 

There is a definition for the word key that could be interpreted by different people when it comes to something very personal to them like their comic collection or the types of comics they like to collect.  As we add more filters, I hope you will enjoy it more

2 hours ago, Key Collector Comics said:

whats the purpose of this screenshot?

You mean the one below?

8 hours ago, ygogolak said:

IMG_2996.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

I think ygogolak is trying to help anybody who actually thinks your info is accurate by pointing out a significant problem.

1 minute ago, Key Collector Comics said:

Thats a topic that is debated to the point of boredom. Even the company who’s forum were chatting in produces labels that disagree with your statement. 

CGC's error does not justify your own. If you're going to be just another contributor to the spread of misinformation, go away.