• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key Collector App - What's the verdict?
2 2

390 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Key Collector Comics said:

Raw eBay sales, averaged then pulled back 10-15%. True price guidance not precision valuation.  The goal is for collectors to be happy with their purchase and encourage a lifelong enjoyment of comics. As I’m sure everyone is aware, there are a lot of discouraging practices that occur. 

Appreciate the response. That makes a lot more sense now 😊 

I'm not "angry" or have any vested emotions in the discussion.

It's just transparent that the type of people that will love the app the most are those looking for 'books to flip'.

I'm all for sites and applications that share information. I do a lot of research into what 'collected edition' books to buy. I've shared some topics about Absolute Editions and Black Label, etc. No problems with that.

I don't have any problems with the app. I personally don't care for it, and it's catered more to a different crowd that I don't particularly care for. That doesn't mean I don't think the app should exist or anything.

14 hours ago, Rhymenoceros said:

Edit: oh, the top one ?? Hmm, all 5/84 on cgc labels. I'm sure this has been widely discussed on the forums ..

Yes, it has. And it's been thoroughly researched that 252 was released before the other two.

10 hours ago, Key Collector Comics said:

Ahhh....snarky. Or publicly attempt to discredit my business.  Well I'm glad I passed your test. That would've been embarrassing...possibly damaging.

Discredit? No, just an ask that you post correct information. Lil 'ol me isn't going to take your business down.

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

Tough crowd.  I remember when this first came out.  One of the biggest reasons why people are complaining is, they have done the leg work to figure out the keys over decades of collecting.  Now, they are angry because the info is available with an app.  Get with the times, people. 

Like anything, it takes time to get the kinks out.  Give the guy a chance.   This is no different than GPA or other internet tools.  

Sure, is the information correct though? I think many would agree that Overstreet should have gone digital years ago.

31 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Haven’t seen a single personal attack in this thread hm

nor any instance where anyone said the app shouldn’t exist. 

Well, I'm sure there would be arguments on what constitutes the nuances of a "personal attack".  Suffice it to say that there are criticisms that can be helpful... both to the designer and the potential user... and then there are others that are just meant to deride and demean.  Maybe it can be agreed that there has been a less-than-respectful tone--

"Those guys [who highlight keys to buy] were a waste of space and air at every con they attended, and now we have you to thank for the new batch"

"This is gonna be a go-to tool for the tools who want to "invest" in comic books... it highlights the aspect that appeals to those tools."

"if you're delusional enough... then ignorance truly is bliss"

"comic flippers, who are a disservice to the hobby, will be attracted to the app"

"I saw a YouTube video on how to use the app, had a big belly laugh, and moved on with my life"

"If you're going to be just another contributor to the spread of misinformation, go away"

44 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Haven’t seen a single personal attack in this thread hm

nor any instance where anyone said the app shouldn’t exist. 

Did you include the early threads that were I believe removed?  

12 minutes ago, Bookery said:

1. "This is gonna be a go-to tool for the tools who want to "invest" in comic books... it highlights the aspect that appeals to those tools."

2. "if you're delusional enough... then ignorance truly is bliss"

3. "comic flippers, who are a disservice to the hobby, will be attracted to the app"

#1 (as an alleged "attack")has nothing to do with the app or its creator.

#2, sure, if you consider "ignorance" an attack (it isn't). It's just reality. If you don't like it - change it.

#3 also (as an alleged "attack") has nothing to do with the app or its creator.

So... No...

22 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Well, I'm sure there would be arguments on what constitutes the nuances of a "personal attack".  Suffice it to say that there are criticisms that can be helpful... both to the designer and the potential user... and then there are others that are just meant to deride and demean.  Maybe it can be agreed that there has been a less-than-respectful tone--

"Those guys [who highlight keys to buy] were a waste of space and air at every con they attended, and now we have you to thank for the new batch"

"This is gonna be a go-to tool for the tools who want to "invest" in comic books... it highlights the aspect that appeals to those tools."

"if you're delusional enough... then ignorance truly is bliss"

"comic flippers, who are a disservice to the hobby, will be attracted to the app"

"I saw a YouTube video on how to use the app, had a big belly laugh, and moved on with my life"

"If you're going to be just another contributor to the spread of misinformation, go away"

watch out everybody, the tone police has arrived.  Please submit any further opinions to the Speech Committee for approval before posting!

This thread was about our opinions on the app. It wasn't started by keys collector, he came in here to address points being made or concerns expressed.  You seem more offended than Keys Collector by far  :(

15 minutes ago, Deputy Mike said:

In your Pulp guide, did you have an asterisk next to 14,000 separate listings indicating that "this is a Key pulp because I say so!"?

There's the difference.

Anytime you break out an issue from the pack to identify something special about it, somebody might call it a "key", since like it or not, the term is fluid and subjective.  I might not use the term that way, but then again if I had an app devoted to such a thing, it probably sounds better and gets the idea across to call it a "key collector app" as opposed to the "comics issues that have something noteworthy about them" app.  And I have no idea how many issues I've broken out for "noteworthiness" in my guide... but yes, it would be in the thousands, and yes, in the end, it's my guide and issues get broken out and determined of note because I say so.  I'm not aware of a ministry that one must appeal to and be sanctioned on this subject.

9 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

giphy.gif

Is that the Minister of Pulps?  I stand corrected then.  I'd read about him, but thought it was a myth.  (He does kind of look like some of the old-guard pulp guys... I could be in trouble...)

25 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Is that the Minister of Pulps?  I stand corrected then.  I'd read about him, but thought it was a myth.  (He does kind of look like some of the old-guard pulp guys... I could be in trouble...)

Its the minister of Pulpatine

12 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

CGC's error does not justify your own. If you're going to be just another contributor to the spread of misinformation, go away.

as i said...up for debate.   it'd be more appropriate to post irrefutable proof that this is considered the first appearance of the black costume

26 minutes ago, Deputy Mike said:

What you described and what I asked aren't quite the same. AFTER you've broken out the thousands of books for noteworthiness, did you then use an asterisk or some other identifier to indicate that each pulp is a key? That's basically what this guy did, he took an Oversteet and put an asterisk next to 14,000 listings.

I haven't seen his app, because as I understand it, it's for cells only?  I don't use a cellphone for business purposes, so it's more useful to me to have something I can use on a desktop.  That said, I imagine there's any number of ways one can organize information.  I've compiled 3 pulp guides, a 500-page comic book price guide (just for me-- not for publication), and am working on a 1500-page paperback guide (that will likely never see the light of day).  But they all arrange information differently, based on what I feel is the best way to present it for that specific medium.  Now, if what you are asserting above is that the app essentially plagiarizes Overstreet and adds a new way of highlighting things, then that's a different charge, and matter, altogether...?

5 hours ago, Bookery said:

Key Collector... every new resource that comes out receives the same naysayer and snarky treatment.  When I produced the first pulp price guide (back in 2001) just the advance word that it was coming out produced an uproar.  I was attacked and called names by people who had never met me nor had seen the guide (since it wasn't even released at this point).  They were certain it would just be used to inflate prices and "ruin the market" the same way those terrible comic folks ruined theirs (the pulp collectors at that time bitterly despised comic collectors).  They also resented that all of this information would now be made public... key stories, 1st author appearances, pseudonyms, 1st app. of a character, etc.  They wanted this information to themselves so that they could buy collections cheap.  When I set up at the pulp convention that year to premiere the book, they even had my dealer table turned toward a wall at the back.  I made few sales that day, as attendees didn't want to be seen carrying around the book.  But I was swamped with mail orders from those same people a week later.

The pulp guide had all sorts of information... not just prices.  And in fact... though they were worried it would be used to "force up" prices, it turned out that those dealers in the room that were strongest against it all had their stock priced above my listings.  Anyway... the point is, don't let them bother you.  The guide is now the standard in the industry and is no longer a subject of controversy.  EBay and auctions are the main factors determining price escalations (if any) not price guides.  And it is not a resource author's responsibility to worry how his reference material is used by others, if that information is accurate and informative.  Moreover... at least 2 of the posters attacking you here do this in pretty much every thread... they live to be nasty and disruptive, so their arguments can pretty much be dismissed out of hand.

Thank you so much for your comment.  I really appreciate it and enjoyed reading about your experience.  I'd appreciate any other advice you might have on the subject if you had any thoughts.  Again, thank you