• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key Collector App - What's the verdict?
2 2

390 posts in this topic

Would you rather?

Him put only asterisk's next to say 10 keys, then future collectors only search and buy 10 or maybe even a 100 "keys"

If he has 14,000 and a description and it's up to the viewer.....

better that buyer's think there is an advantage or something interesting to the hobby, rather than those on the boards who say, "people only post up the same 10 - 100 keys"

(shrug) 

which is it? lol to each there own, it's out there, an easy fix of a star rating @comicdonna 

Build up 

@Bookery there's actually a website that has all of the same information. Its not as well-optimized as the app but we're working on it.  It'll suffice though to show you what the resource entails and also that its not plagiarism. That's actually the first time anyone has ever made that accusation. Last year at SDCC I was invited to lunch by the Geppi's who own Overstreet and they expressed how much they enjoyed the app

Edited by Key Collector Comics
added addl info

12 minutes ago, Bookery said:

I haven't seen his app, because as I understand it, it's for cells only?  I don't use a cellphone for business purposes, so it's more useful to me to have something I can use on a desktop.  That said, I imagine there's any number of ways one can organize information.  I've compiled 3 pulp guides, a 500-page comic book price guide (just for me-- not for publication), and am working on a 1500-page paperback guide (that will likely never see the light of day).  But they all arrange information differently, based on what I feel is the best way to present it for that specific medium.  Now, if what you are asserting above is that the app essentially plagiarizes Overstreet and adds a new way of highlighting things, then that's a different charge, and matter, altogether...?

perfect!

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@Key Collector Comics

Along with a star "key" status....

try saying some of them are, "A great Read!" and make it interactive with a star rating, doesn't always have to be "key" per se

The only issue I can see with this is that "A great read!" is subjective, who determines that is a great read, what one person thinks is great another might think is garbage.  Where "key" status shouldn't be.  Maybe if they allowed for some sort of voting and you could see the results similar to what some comic shops to like "voted march 2019 best story" or something along those lines.  Then they are taking their customer's opinions and utilizing it to benefit everyone.

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@Key Collector Comics

try saying some of them are, "A great Read!" and make it interactive with a star rating, doesn't always have to be "key" per se

i think the key status would apply to filters - so if you want to look at 1st appearances of top tier character it would allow such a customization etc

1 minute ago, Crops068 said:

The only issue I can see with this is that "A great read!" is subjective, who determines that is a great read, what one person thinks is great another might think is garbage.  Where "key" status shouldn't be.  Maybe if they allowed for some sort of voting and you could see the results similar to what some comic shops to like "voted march 2019 best story" or something along those lines.  Then they are taking their customer's opinions and utilizing it to benefit everyone.

as it is currently we'll feature different categories and one of them could be best one-shots or influential storylines - reader categories along those lines.  there are a few "reading order" categories now like Death of Superman and others

2 minutes ago, Crops068 said:
8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That was the "interactive" part of my quote, if there is a "star based" system for "key", then there should be one for "reader" status as well....where users of the app could vote :foryou: 

6 hours ago, comicdonna said:

Tough crowd.  I remember when this first came out.  One of the biggest reasons why people are complaining is, they have done the leg work to figure out the keys over decades of collecting.  Now, they are angry because the info is available with an app.  Get with the times, people. 

Like anything, it takes time to get the kinks out.  Give the guy a chance.   This is no different than GPA or other internet tools.  

Thank you @comicdonna. I'm not sure what the kinks are. If the guy is referring to ASM 252 being the 1st appearance of the black costume then I'd like to see some reasoning for it.  I've researched it and have seen some retailers claim they recall when it came out while others had a different claim so without going by conjecture, I'll stick to the months published as printed in the indica.  I'm happy to make adjustments to any data that is incorrect but having a detractor on a message board express his opinion isn't a strong enough reason to make the change

15 minutes ago, Key Collector Comics said:

@Bookery there's actually a website that has all of the same information. Its not as well-optimized as the app but we're working on it.  It'll suffice though to show you what the resource entails and also that its not plagiarism. That's actually the first time anyone has ever made that accusation. Last year at SDCC I was invited to lunch by the Geppi's who own Overstreet and they expressed how much they enjoyed the app

Don't worry... I never for a minute assumed that you had.  And I really doubt that's what Deputy Mike intended... but it could be interpreted that way by his post.  I posed the question to him to inquire if he really meant to put it that way, since that would indeed be a different matter (and a serious charge).  For what it's worth, I was also accused of plagiarism on my book (weeks before it was released!) by a dealer that assumed (since he didn't know me) that if someone outside the official collector's circle had dared to put together a guide, surely he most have stolen it from somewhere!  So yes... it's a sensitive area and a charge I don't like seeing posted... even if it's only implied.  Buy=t yes, as for the rest, I will check out the web page.

7 hours ago, comicdonna said:

Tough crowd.  I remember when this first came out.  One of the biggest reasons why people are complaining is, they have done the leg work to figure out the keys over decades of collecting.  Now, they are angry because the info is available with an app.  Get with the times, people. 

Like anything, it takes time to get the kinks out.  Give the guy a chance.   This is no different than GPA or other internet tools.  

This we agree on. Good post.

31 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

"Speculation is ruining the hobby.  The only people who are allowed to purchase comics that may increase in value are retailers and no new retailers in my area, just me.  I was here first.  Everyone else [ak/a my potential customers] must pay me the peak market price and they can not ever resell that book [because I may have more copies that I need to sell]."  Said no one ever.  But it seems like an all too often implicit message in the critiques of the current comic market. 

I'm so tired of hearing people who collect one way jump on top of their soap box to bad mouth people who collect a different way.  It's tragically immature and more often than not motivated by envy and greed.  "The market is going to collapse, it's just like the 90's, they don't appreciate the story/art the way I think they should, etc."  

If you love this hobby, please make a point to help shepherd newer collectors in their collecting as best you know how.  Rather than throwing stones at one another, perhaps we could take some time and  appreciate that there's room enough for everyone in the hobby(hoarders, key collectors, run collectors, flippers, speculators, retailers, etc.). 

Namaste ninjas! 

Another good post.

17 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Don't worry... I never for a minute assumed that you had.  And I really doubt that's what Deputy Mike intended... but it could be interpreted that way by his post.  I posed the question to him to inquire if he really meant to put it that way, since that would indeed be a different matter (and a serious charge).  For what it's worth, I was also accused of plagiarism on my book (weeks before it was released!) by a dealer that assumed (since he didn't know me) that if someone outside the official collector's circle had dared to put together a guide, surely he most have stolen it from somewhere!  So yes... it's a sensitive area and a charge I don't like seeing posted... even if it's only implied.  Buy=t yes, as for the rest, I will check out the web page.

Again, its reassuring to hear your experience.   For the record, it took over 2.5 years to build the database before launching and I don't mean casually working on it.  I mean 5-10 hours a day if not more. Whatever time I could spare outside of my previous job.  Had it been plagiarism pulled from an overstreet, it probably would've taken me 2.5 weeks to complete.

8 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

The name of the app should be changed to 14k Keys :bigsmile:

plus or minus 10 percent for a classifier :baiting:

Maybe just a question mark                                                                                                                                ^^  ? 

11 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

The name of the app should be changed to 14k Keys :bigsmile:

lol

I have never been a run collector.  When I hand compiled my first serious want list from Overstreet #14, it was split into two halves - #1s and first appearances.  "Keys" to me seemed like a nomenclature for books that had transcended into legendary status - Action 1, 'Tec 27 etc.  I get that language has changed, and will continue to change - if for no other reason than that "keys" have a coolness factor that everyone wants to tap into, and not everyone is going to own an Action #1. I would just ask that some of the younger collectors understand that for many of us "keys" will never mean what it is morphing into today.  No book that I have owned over 25 copies of is a key. It just isn't and calling it won't make it so. 

So I suppose this was my way of saying

31thd7.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

20 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think a certain segment just hates change.

Believe it or not there is a certain segment that doesn't like the Marvel Cinematic movies because they opened the door up for a larger audience.

there's that.  also a few who don't know how to be interesting or engage the attention of others without being negative