• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key Collector App - What's the verdict?
2 2

390 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2019 at 3:24 PM, EMG said:

This I do not understand.......      The high is $3?   uuuhhhhh there is a CVR A 9.8 on sale for $225!     is key collectors "HIGH" 9.0?   then $3 makes sense in this "modern 9.8 or nothing market)

HOWLING COMMANDOS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. #1

Low $1
 | 
Mid $2
 | 
High $3

Not sure I understand this post.  People can ask anything for a book... and often do.  This issue routinely sells for $3-$4 on eBay (which is what the app shows).  The last recorded CGC 9.8 sale was for $20.  

6 hours ago, Bookery said:

Not sure I understand this post.  People can ask anything for a book... and often do.  This issue routinely sells for $3-$4 on eBay (which is what the app shows).  The last recorded CGC 9.8 sale was for $20.  

I am saying the apps "high" is misleading to me, I cannot tell if what they label as "HIGH" is 9.0 or 9.8. 9.8 $3 no way, 9.0 $3 bucks all day long.  In the market, "at this point", Go collect, CB price guide, apps, Ebay.......prices are all over the place.  There is also a large price discrepancy in prices between what has sold on eBay & what IS selling on eBay. This is usual in a bull market.     more often than not, "in this market right now" the trends of "asking prices" can signify a particular comic is on the rise.    jus my observation

Hey guys! New to this forum. I was wondering - do you have a sense of the approximate grade indicated by the Key Collector app "range"? I know it's LOW/MID/HIGH grade, but surely it can't mean like a 0.5 as low, or a 9.8 as high, right? I'm trying to calibrate it to other value guides like. CovrPrice and GoCollect. On that note, anyone wanna talk opinions between these three options, or others? Thanks all!

10 hours ago, batman_fan said:

After reading some of this thread, I think I will get a subscription to the app.

Is the app now a subscription service?  I think my original comment way back when was in reference to the eventual selling of the service and how he was advertising (or spamming) on the boards.  I believe his response was that the app was just for fun and to help people and would not be for money.  i guess things have changed and he still is spamming the boards with requests for "help or advice".  

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Is the app now a subscription service?  I think my original comment way back when was in reference to the eventual selling of the service and how he was advertising (or spamming) on the boards.  I believe his response was that the app was just for fun and to help people and would not be for money.  i guess things have changed and he still is spamming the boards with requests for "help or advice".  

I subscribe to the minimum (at least I think there's an upgrade I'm not paying for). It's a decent source of information and a welcome diversion. I like rummaging trough dollar bins, so the app has helped as a quick reference from time to time. If you're a low-key hobby flipper, it's helpful.

1 hour ago, Conacon said:

I subscribe to the minimum (at least I think there's an upgrade I'm not paying for). It's a decent source of information and a welcome diversion. I like rummaging trough dollar bins, so the app has helped as a quick reference from time to time. If you're a low-key hobby flipper, it's helpful.

I've never bashed the concept behind the app and I do see how it is liked by a large group on people.  I personally don't like the distribution of hard fought info to the masses but it is a selfish reason.  My chief complain is the spamming of the boards for what was obviously going to become a money making venture. 

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I've never bashed the concept behind the app and I do see how it is liked by a large group on people.  I personally don't like the distribution of hard fought info to the masses but it is a selfish reason.  My chief complain is the spamming of the boards for what was obviously going to become a money making venture. 

Didn’t GPA do that as well?  Also the company that makes the protectors for CGC cases. Maybe they didn’t but I thought they had active threads at some point. 

Edited by batman_fan

20 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Didn’t GPA do that as well?  Also the company that makes the protectors for CGC cases. Maybe they didn’t but I thought they had active threads at some point. 

GPA could have but i don't remember them doing that.  The comic protector guys did come on and start disguising their post as give aways or something similar and they got bashed for spamming their product.  I don't necessarily blame the vendors trying to get their names out there but I believe there is valid complaints if all they do is "pimp" their products.

52 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

GPA could have but i don't remember them doing that.  The comic protector guys did come on and start disguising their post as give aways or something similar and they got bashed for spamming their product.  I don't necessarily blame the vendors trying to get their names out there but I believe there is valid complaints if all they do is "pimp" their products.

What if they pimp their products while wearing a short skirt and high heels hm

On 8/17/2019 at 2:29 PM, FlyingDonut said:

I love this app. There's not much out there for $20 per year that gives me this kind of information to make me a more informed seller AND buyer.

There's been quite literally 10 pages of obsession over one item - the ASM 252 situation - that can easily be argued both ways and that doesn't affect the usefulness or effectiveness of the app.

Heck, I just downloaded the free version and it looks really handy to me.  It sure beats dragging around a copy of Overstreet at conventions.

I think its great for new people in the hobby. I cant imagine why an experience collector or seller would need it.
(See next paragraph)

Between Ebay and all the other comic related sites that are free paying for something like that seems just 
wasteful.

And yes I know someone of you have made your money back by digging in the $1 boxes with it. There will
come a time when you know all this information and you will watch someone next to you who has no clue
about comics, but they pull out that app on their phone and grab a $50 book in the $1 box that you would
have grabbed. That's when it hits you that the app is helpful to some but not others.

As someone already mentioned. The app was brought to us one way and now it is just advertising for it.
I would remove the thread, but its not up to me.

On 9/7/2019 at 8:10 AM, kustomizer said:

What's wrong with buying comics for resale? It's a little thing we have called capitalism.

The fact that, unless you know exactly what you're doing, you're unlikely to succeed.

Capitalism gives you the opportunity to pursue selling comics. Logic gives you the thought process to realize that your outcome is likely unfavorable.

On 8/19/2019 at 3:18 PM, Hamlet said:

Heck, I just downloaded the free version and it looks really handy to me.  It sure beats dragging around a copy of Overstreet at conventions.

With the onset of MCU and the rapid pace at which movies , characters , films , and even preset day comic tie in’s ... I feel Oversteet has become less reliable - but still helpful for general background info ... and just that ...a “ guide “ not to be quoted like the Old Testament

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The fact that, unless you know exactly what you're doing, you're unlikely to succeed.

Capitalism gives you the opportunity to pursue selling comics. Logic gives you the thought process to realize that your outcome is likely unfavorable.

It depends on what you mean by succeed.  If I'm going through convention boxes anyway, and buy a hot book that I know about because of this app ( or these boards for that matter ), and I can sell that book to reduce my collecting costs a little, I consider that success.

Comics are a terrible way to try to earn serious money for the vast majority of collectors.  However, lots of people can go through boxes and pull at least some of the mistakes ( or intentional bargains from some dealers ) to help defray their collecting costs.  No one gets every mispriced book, but everyone has pricing knowledge for at least some subset of books.  

3 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

It depends on what you mean by succeed.  If I'm going through convention boxes anyway, and buy a hot book that I know about because of this app ( or these boards for that matter ), and I can sell that book to reduce my collecting costs a little, I consider that success.

Comics are a terrible way to try to earn serious money for the vast majority of collectors.  However, lots of people can go through boxes and pull at least some of the mistakes ( or intentional bargains from some dealers ) to help defray their collecting costs.  No one gets every mispriced book, but everyone has pricing knowledge for at least some subset of books.  

I don't know if that user was asking the question in context of collaboration with the app (despite posting in this topic). I was just answering from a general POV. Even with the app, if you're just looking for steals, you're unlikely to have gained momentum from a time/cost perspective. "No amount of money ever bought a second of time."

It would be nice if, y'know, people joined the hobby out of passion for the hobby. The less money-hungry vultures - the better it is for the hobby. Concur? That's not a dig on dealers, either. There will always be those who are in it from a business perspective, but there are too many people who think they can sneak right past ya for a profit and it simply hurts the circulation of product among the people that actually want the product. Good, reputable, dealers are good for the hobby in moderation.

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

uh, that's the problem. I just figured I was Dumbtrard

I made money selling a comic book once, no twice.

Edited by NoMan