• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why people hate most modern books
3 3

447 posts in this topic

During the silver age people didnt hate silver age books-during the bronze age people didnt hate bronze age books during the copper age people didnt hate copper age books-now we're in the modern age and people generally find them despicable.  Sure there are exceptions but what's the reason for the general distaste?  Is this the only age where books have been generally despised?

I don’t think it’s fair to be quite so harsh, Kav.  You can find some good modern books, and I don’t really believe we’re in a creative Dark Age.  I’m currently reading 60s Flash comics, but next week it could just as easily be something written by Tom King or Donny Cates.

9 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I don’t think it’s fair to be quite so harsh, Kav.  You can find some good modern books, and I don’t really believe we’re in a creative Dark Age.  I’m currently reading 60s Flash comics, but next week it could just as easily be something written by Tom King or Donny Cates.

why do a lot of people scold modern books?

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

Please provide 783 links to prove this statement to be true. 

tumblr_pcirfng8Ja1tuvwugo2_500.gif

Oh god I just had to do that to prove ebay doesnt seem to care about thrill bidders-

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

I can think of a few reasons.

1. Paper stock. I just read Marvel's latest release of Conan the Barbarian and the cover stock felt flimsy and cheap and I felt the comic would fall apart at any moment.

2. Changes of characters to satisfy social justice warriors. Keep characters the same, I don't want to see a popular character in a new version. Invent a new character instead of ruining the old guard thanks.

1. Number 1! Number 1. New all new #1. Etc.

4. Variant of the variant of the variant. I go to a comic store and see a book on the shelf and I have no idea if I own it or not because there are so many covers to the same book.

5. Superman, Supergirl, Superdog, Supergrandma, SuperTransvestite. Why cant we have originality!

This needs to be one of the options over there on the like button ---->

f5f95435790402933030f7052585aa7e.jpg

7 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

1. Paper stock. I just read Marvel's latest release of Conan the Barbarian and the cover stock felt flimsy and cheap and I felt the comic would fall apart at any moment.

2. Changes of characters to satisfy social justice warriors. Keep characters the same, I don't want to see a popular character in a new version. Invent a new character instead of ruining the old guard thanks.

4. Variant of the variant of the variant. I go to a comic store and see a book on the shelf and I have no idea if I own it or not because there are so many covers to the same book.

5. Superman, Supergirl, Superdog, Supergrandma, SuperTransvestite. Why cant we have originality!

I think you summed it up nicely.  I really hate slick paper for comics-the glare makes it hard to read no matter how you try to hold it in the light.  Bring newsprint back PLS!!  And stories designed for kids.  The adult themed stories are inevitably stupid AF.  Some exceptions sure.  But dialogue learned from watching TV dramas and sitcoms-UGH

9 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Brawndo's got electrolytes. It's got what comics crave!

Today's comics readers tend to have been collectors for a significant period of time, in many case decades. The readers of old did not stick around so long, so they didn't often have the chance to get disillusioned and complain when characters and stories started to go in different directions. 

That being said, the younger comics readers aren't as grumpy as the old and they are more willing to accept and enjoy new styles, new themes, and new storytelling. 

I ran a few cons about 12 years ago, and at one I had Scottie Young as a guest. His appeal was split neatly between love and hate right at around 30 years of age. I'm sure you can guess which was which. 

I still buy and enjoy a lot of new comics, and I'm 46. I dislike certain titles in much the same way I did when I was 16 or 26 or 36.

1 hour ago, kav said:

During the silver age people didnt hate silver age books-during the bronze age people didnt hate bronze age books during the copper age people didnt hate copper age books-now we're in the modern age and people generally find them despicable.  Sure there are exceptions but what's the reason for the general distaste?  Is this the only age where books have been generally despised?

I'm actually not sure how true that is. My local comic shops would be out of business if they didn't carry modern books. I think there's another side to this coin.

Also, people seem love modern variants.

Edited by Darkowl

9 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

I'm actually not sure how true that is. My local comic shops would be out of business if they didn't carry modern books. I think there's another side to this coin.

Also, people seem love modern variants.

It doesn't seem to be true because it isn't true. He doesn't like modern books and others here don't like them, so in his mind that means everyone hates them.

I missed Stan Lee created many characters along with other writers/artists.  Most characters are often re-used that is where I got lost in some directions - I stopped buying them.  I used to spend on my one or two dollars on 20 and 25 cent comic books in 1970's and still enjoyed them even today. Nowadays, those Modern books are pretty expensive and I sometimes spent on my $20 on just few books you name.  Some artworks are terrible and not catchy as if it keeps cycling (repeating or over and over - some stories are very similar to others too) like Japanese animation art (not much changing in last 30+ years).  Just few of them have great story lines that I intended to keep them.  It's hard to sell Modern Age comic books than SA/BA/GA books. The cover price is $3.50 or more but you may sell them less than the cover price today.  I gambled on Thief of Thieves books but I lost my money so I stick with them until I get lucky.  Simply, there are too many Modern Age comic books out there.