• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why people hate most modern books
3 3

447 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Female Thor.... Really?  Who needs this .

Jason Aaron's run with Jane Foster as Thor was actually quite good.

37 minutes ago, RCheli said:

It doesn't seem to be true because it isn't true. He doesn't like modern books and others here don't like them, so in his mind that means everyone hates them.

Um reading is fundamental-you should try it sometime.  I never said 'everyone' I very clearly stated "now we're in the modern age and people generally find them despicable.  Sure there are exceptions but what's the reason for the general distaste?" :facepalm:

1 minute ago, RCheli said:

the majority of people find them despicable, and that is also not true.

Prove that statement or go away.  

I'll state as my evidence the low readership numbers of modern books.  

As far as the Batgirl art, I had plenty to back it up, a shower rod hanging in mid air, a bathtub in front of a door, the changing size of the mirror-

:facepalm:

2 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:

I don't buy modern books, I have no interest in seeing

Batman's Batman exposed

Jesus' Second Coming DC comics 2nd coming

And countless others.  I wouldn't collect this trash if it were free.

Countless others have expressed similar views, but according to Cheli, you don't exist.  lol 

2 minutes ago, october said:

People who think modern comics are bad need to look past the junk being put out by the big two.

There's plenty of good titles that don't involve men in tights.

Yep as I said there are exception for sure.  Brubaker and Phillips for one.  Sophie Campbell for another.

Edited by kav

modern comic are a rip off , i have tried but they are completely unreadable ,.. i picked up a new issue of the walking dead a couple years ago because i liked the show and there wasn't a single zombie in the comic .. it did have Jesus and a tiger though lol ... 

other moderns have nice covers so i thumb through them to see if they are interesting enough to buy and i always see two page splash pages with zero dialogue .. the art isn't good on these two page splash pages , i think i could draw as good as some of it ... and i can't draw ....

don't even get the average person started on the re-boot one armed homosexual midget Daredevil ... that was the final straw for an entire generation of comic book buyers

14 minutes ago, kav said:

Prove that statement or go away.  

I'll state as my evidence the low readership numbers of modern books.  

As far as the Batgirl art, I had plenty to back it up, a shower rod hanging in mid air, a bathtub in front of a door, the changing size of the mirror-

:facepalm:

Low readership does not equal quality, and the fact that you're using that as evidence means that this is an argument I've already won. Television shows have lost ridiculous numbers of viewers over the past several decades, but there are still great (and awful shows) being broadcast. The same goes for album sales.

Look, it's difficult to argue with you because of your narrow focus. But these boards -- as great as they are -- are not the place to go if you're looking to find fans of modern comics. It's like going to a Bernie Sanders rally looking for people who want to keep pot illegal. That doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people out there who think that way.

I have read every iteration of Mr. Miracle -- from Kirby to Englehart/Rogers to JM DeMatties to many others -- and the most recent series was the best (IMO). The current Hawkman series is terrific, and I've enjoyed that more than anything else I've read of the character. And I suspect that each of those titles have sold fewer than at any previous time. There are tons of great comics coming out now, and I would put the best of what's being published today against the best of any era (although the way comics are published today doesn't really resemble the way they were in the past; though the way they were published in the 70s doesn't much resemble how they were published in the 40s). 

19 minutes ago, october said:

People who think modern comics are bad need to look past the junk being put out by the big two.

There's plenty of good titles that don't involve men in tights.

I agree, and non-hero books from the beginning of comics were often the best stuff being published. But there are good super-hero comics, too.

Just now, RCheli said:

Low readership does not equal quality, and the fact that you're using that as evidence means that this is an argument I've already won. Television shows have lost ridiculous numbers of viewers over the past several decades, but there are still great (and awful shows) being broadcast. The same goes for album sales.

Look, it's difficult to argue with you because of your narrow focus. But these boards -- as great as they are -- are not the place to go if you're looking to find fans of modern comics. It's like going to a Bernie Sanders rally looking for people who want to keep pot illegal. That doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people out there who think that way.

I have read every iteration of Mr. Miracle -- from Kirby to Englehart/Rogers to JM DeMatties to many others -- and the most recent series was the best (IMO). The current Hawkman series is terrific, and I've enjoyed that more than anything else I've read of the character. And I suspect that each of those titles have sold fewer than at any previous time. There are tons of great comics coming out now, and I would put the best of what's being published today against the best of any era (although the way comics are published today doesn't really resemble the way they were in the past; though the way they were published in the 70s doesn't much resemble how they were published in the 40s). 

Ok that's a cogent, reasonable argument.  And I started this thread to open a dialogue I wasnt trying to claim 100% that most or all people hate modern books.  I just noticed over the years a lot of criticism of them.  And I thought that's never happened before where a comics era was despised.  If it is.

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

5. Superman, Supergirl, Superdog, Supergrandma, SuperTransvestite. Why cant we have originality!

Those are all Silver Age, with the possible exception of SuperTransvestite, so that point is moot.

The claim is that "people" didn't hate SA comics when they were new, but "people" do hate "most" current comics.

The Modern Age of Comics is pretty huge, but if I was pressed, I would say that I enjoy modern comics from the first few years of either the first, second or third decade of modern comics more so than the last few years of those decades.

17 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

The Modern Age of Comics is pretty huge, but if I was pressed, I would say that I enjoy modern comics from the first few years of either the first, second or third decade of modern comics more so than the last few years of those decades.

Unfortunately, the modern age has lasted nearly twice as long as the others and isn't worthy of an elemental name. 

Maybe Sulphur. It stinks.

22 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Those are all Silver Age, with the possible exception of SuperTransvestite, so that point is moot.

The claim is that "people" didn't hate SA comics when they were new, but "people" do hate "most" current comics.

well the point is that it is still happening even in current comics.