• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why people hate most modern books
3 3

447 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

People get old, their ideas get old and anything that isn't familiar or similiar is despised.

This has been going on since the beginning of time, in any category, music movies etc

I get the impression that many new readers like the new stuff and probably look at the comics from the 50s and 60s as dumb. 

Remove nostalgia and there isn't much meat on the bone.

I think that there is more to it than that.  I enjoy comics, music and movies that were created decades (centuries for music) before I was born. There seems to be a decline in quality, talent, and originality across all entertainment media in this generation.  

4 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:

I think that there is more to it than that.  I enjoy comics, music and movies that were created decades (centuries for music) before I was born. There seems to be a decline in quality, talent, and originality across all entertainment media in this generation.  

maybe but I've heard the same before for example about rock music in the 60s, hip hop music in 80s/90s. Just seems the common denominator is older generation vs the current generation

16 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

People get old, their ideas get old and anything that isn't familiar or similiar is despised.

This has been going on since the beginning of time, in any category, music movies etc

I get the impression that many new readers like the new stuff and probably look at the comics from the 50s and 60s as dumb. 

Remove nostalgia and there isn't much meat on the bone.

The art told the story in a very simple way, and the stories themselves were very simple. 

Marvel’s ideas in the 60’s expanded things as far as concepts, but even those stories are pretty simple. And Stan held the readers hand through all of them just in case anyone couldn’t tell what was happening or who some returning villain was. 

Some will never get past that type of comic. Mainstream and easy to read. Nothing wrong with that. 

Other readers, especially as they get older, want more. When was the last BIG publishing growth in comics? In the late 80’s/early 90’s as mature quality writers entered the marketplace and tried to expand on the traditional ideas and even go beyond it. 

Image’s whole push in the last ten years as a competing 3rd big publisher has all come about because of their ability to create comics different from traditional superheroes and what Marvel and DC does. 

Anyone who doesn’t think there are any good comics today is either only into comics for the simplicity of the time they grew up with them or just hasn’t been exposed to what’s out there. 

5 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Anyone who doesn’t think there are any good comics today is either only into comics for the simplicity of the time they grew up with them or just hasn’t been exposed to what’s out there

This is exactly what I wanted to say. There is some great stuff out there. 

Many people that chimed in have brought up a lot of thought provoking points for me. I too, do not enjoy modern books that much. I recently just cancelled all books except Monstress. I find that book highly refreshing. It took a while to cancel the others because I didnt want a void in that particular run.

When I sat down and binge read a couple different series. Uncanny x-men and amazing spider-man. I found the stories very boring and unmemorable . Literally at the end of the story I already forgot what it was about. These stories dont have the staying power prior years did.  I am not saying that there are not good stories out there.  It's just un-relatable to me anymore.  Maybe it is my age and I dont like or accept change. I dont like new music for the most part either. So it very well could be that you get to that point in your life when things change to much and pass you by.

As we grow older our imagination becomes weak. An example was about 5 years ago. I am turning 40 in 2 days. So I was 35, my nephew was 8 or 9. He breaks out his bucket of Legos for me to play with him. I am stoked because I was a master lego creator in my hay day (or choose to believe this) I would build all kinds of cars, houses etc. All kind of cool stuff. Long story short. My nephew looks over after a while to see what I built.   I made a half size wall and an unfinished car. I drew a blank the entire time. Maybe lack of imagination has something to do with the enjoyability of these newer books for some. Not sure. Just a thought. 

I've tried to like modern comics and while some of the cover artwork looks fantastic the interior pages leave me disappointed. The artwork seems indistinguishable whereas with older books (newsprint) the artists distinctive style was more apparent to me.

I used to ask people in the know what’s good today: people reading comics today, folks that work in comics shops. “Oh you’ve got to read this or that. Pick up this, it’s the best thing out there.” 

I say used to because I don’t anymore because everything they recommended to me sucked. There’s too many good things I have to read to deal with mess  

EDIT: I am looking forward to Seth’s completed Cyde’s Fans coming out this May. Slipcase and all.  20 years the making.  I was living in Chicago in early  2000s and he had just started the story.  

Edited by NoMan

6 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

this is the same strategy that my local hometown newspaper took on about 20 years ago .. they decided to cater to and tailor their stories with a completely one sided slant towards the liberal mindset ...

what they did not realize is that they failed to pick up any new readership with their one sided reporting and they completely alienated their core readership group (like me) who began cancelling their subscriptions en masse

the newspaper is on life support now and it is only partly do to the internet... it is mostly because it's reporting became politically correct instead of straight up journalism....

No. That's NOT why. ALL newspapers are suffering due to the internet and social media, regardless of which way they lean.

And politics aren't allowed here, post reported.

6 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I can think of a few reasons.

1. Paper stock. I just read Marvel's latest release of Conan the Barbarian and the cover stock felt flimsy and cheap and I felt the comic would fall apart at any moment.

I went digital. Paper stock no longer is an issue.

2. Changes of characters to satisfy social justice warriors. Keep characters the same, I don't want to see a popular character in a new version. Invent a new character instead of ruining the old guard thanks.

..ugh..

1. Number 1! Number 1. New all new #1. Etc.

Every new series I start begins with a #1. If you mean reboots, well yeah, but... I don't buy those, so they don't bother me.

4. Variant of the variant of the variant. I go to a comic store and see a book on the shelf and I have no idea if I own it or not because there are so many covers to the same book.

Once again... with digital, it's just not an issue for me.

5. Superman, Supergirl, Superdog, Supergrandma, SuperTransvestite. Why cant we have originality!

I'm not familiar with Supergrandma and SuperTransvestite (and I don't WANT to be!), but the others were created during the Silver Age...

7 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I can think of a few reasons.

1. Paper stock. I just read Marvel's latest release of Conan the Barbarian and the cover stock felt flimsy and cheap and I felt the comic would fall apart at any moment.

2. Changes of characters to satisfy social justice warriors. Keep characters the same, I don't want to see a popular character in a new version. Invent a new character instead of ruining the old guard thanks.

1. Number 1! Number 1. New all new #1. Etc.

4. Variant of the variant of the variant. I go to a comic store and see a book on the shelf and I have no idea if I own it or not because there are so many covers to the same book.

5. Superman, Supergirl, Superdog, Supergrandma, SuperTransvestite. Why cant we have originality!

Basically this, though I'll say Image is still really cool in not doing any of these things.

Edited by Skylath

4 hours ago, Cliff R. said:

Appearances can be deceiving and that probably has more to do with entertainment media itself than any decline in talent.

There are lots of Moderns I pull from discount bins or checkout from the library as trades but I won't buy monthly as you never know when the $6.99 filler issue is gonna drop or the "layout artist" drawn crossover and the big 2 execs are just laughing at you.

I really like: Manifest Destiny, One Punch Man, Monstress, Darth Vader, anything Terry Moore, Love and Rockets.....geez I was gonna say MPH but it is already 5 years old!

I don't mind variants.

but what I call colored layouts for interior art just really gets me    :sick:

nonono copy.jpg

Publishers substituting variants and cover art for quality of stories and art.
Its a House of Cards that will topple eventually.

Continuous reboots to prop up numbers of comic sales that continuously fall.

The inability to write quality monthly books anymore. (Marvel & DC)

The collusion between speculation websites, creators, artists, and store variants that put an 
ugly face on a hobby that I worry is heading the wrong way.

While I like to see new characters how about they create new characters not female versions 
of old ones. More Ms Marvel and such less Female Thor.(Yes I know Jason Aaron did do a good
job I liked it too.)

More Magic Order, Jupiter's Legacy, Old Man Hawkeye/Logan, Saga, Invincible, and less Titles of ASM and X-Men
related that nobody wants or reads. Condense them to a title or two and the quality might get better.

More conventions with comics again please. I enjoy the other stuff, but lets not forget what actually is the 
focus of a convention.

3 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

I went digital. Paper stock no longer is an issue.

..ugh..

Every new series I start begins with a #1. If you mean reboots, well yeah, but... I don't buy those, so they don't bother me.

Once again... with digital, it's just not an issue for me.

I'm not familiar with Supergrandma and SuperTransvestite (and I don't WANT to be!), but the others were created during the Silver Age...

Again while the examples I mention are silver age or fabricated the point I am making remains, they still do this. Red Hulk, Grey Hulk, She-Hulk, Red She-hulk, son of Hulk, daughter of Hulk, Hulk Wolverine combined, Son of Wolverine, Female Wolverine... need I go on?