• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why people hate most modern books
3 3

447 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Dan82 said:

Show me someone who hates these covers and I'll show you a liar!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of moderns (except Star Wars) but it's hard to hate such beautiful work. I see a cover like this, I'm buying it, no questions asked :D

I have over 800 modern star wars, down to just buying the action figure covers now and any that looks so nice I can't pass (like these three). Yea they sucked me in good on that but I don't care, I enjoy them and that's what counts.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say I “hate” these covers.  The quality of the art is indeed very nice, though as someone else noted, a couple of the faces look a bit manga. 

I think the issue I have with these covers is the same as with a lot of modern covers: it’s just a pretty picture of someone posing. It doesn’t convey anything about the story inside. 

As art prints they’re great. But I guess I’m a bit old-school and prefer comic covers that give some indication of what that particular story is about. 

Edited by Number 6

44 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I think the issue I have with these covers is the same as with a lot of modern covers: it’s just a pretty picture of someone posing. It doesn’t convey anything about the story inside. 

And, the ability to take a -script page, break it down into panels and convey the writer’s text as kinetic sequential art is a different skill to creating a single, static cover image, and, as a reader of comics, more creatively important to me. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

11 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

And, the ability to take a ---script page, break it down into panels and convey the writer’s text as kinetic sequential art is a different skill to creating a single, static cover image, and, as a reader of comics, more important to me. 

I know when they do portfolio reviews at conventions they say NO PIN UPS

Everyone doesn't hate moderns - I'll 100% agree Marvel and DC have made some shocking comics in the last 20 yrs BUT.

How about these for a counterbalance from other publishers?

100 Bullets

Alias

The Boys

DAYTRIPPER - for me, the best modern written to date

Planetary 

The Strain

Transmetropolitan

Y-The Last Man

Early Walking Dead

There are others - but give these a read and see what you think!

49 minutes ago, Beige said:

100 Bullets

Alias

The Boys

DAYTRIPPER - for me, the best modern written to date

Planetary 

The Strain

Transmetropolitan

Y-The Last Man

Early Walking Dead

only one on this list I liked was Alias.  100 bullets premise was so dumb it made me puke.  Like there's no way to BUY BULLETS once she runs out or nuthin.

Also not a fan of random dingbat becomes super hit woman with absolutely no training.

Edited by kav

2 minutes ago, mrc said:
56 minutes ago, Dan82 said:

Pin-up / good girl art like this I love  :x

......Adam Hughes?

Not Adam Hughes, just examples of pin-ups.... I think anything AH! is better than that though....

I read about 9 monthlies at the moment.  Problem for me is how convoluted and diluted it's all become.  There was a period not long ago where we had 2 Thors, 2 Captain America's, 2 Hawkeyes, 2 Spidermen, a Hulk that wasn't Bruce Banner, an Iron Man that was replaced by Iron Heart, it's just too much.   Everything is a Corps now (following the Green Lantern mode).  I mean how many Flash'es are there?!  How many people in the Bat Family?!  Spider Verse this and Superior Spiderman that.   It's sooooo crowded.  Cut it out. 

2 hours ago, kav said:

only one on this list I liked was Alias.  100 bullets premise was so dumb it made me puke.  Like there's no way to BUY BULLETS once she runs out or nuthin.

Also not a fan of random dingbat becomes super hit woman with absolutely no training.

You hated Transmet and Y-The last Man??

Seriously - like wow, they were great!

6 minutes ago, Beige said:

You hated Transmet and Y-The last Man??

Seriously - like wow, they were great!

ugh.  just seemed like stories and cliche dialogue I had read a billion times.

If you want great read incognito or sleeper.

Plus that sean phillips art!!!!

Edited by kav

One of my pet peeves is that there's half a dozen different artists on a single story at times.  It really bothers me when I see the varying styles of the different artists and it detracts from the story.  Also, some of the art is just outright garbage.  I stopped collecting ASM when this was the beautiful MJ ...

DSC01696.jpg

DSC01697.jpg

4 hours ago, JazzMan said:

Also, some of the art is just outright garbage.  I stopped collecting ASM when this was the beautiful MJ ...

DSC01697.jpg

To me, looks like one of the worst attempts at a Jack Kirby style that I've seen in ages.

Edited by Ken Aldred

The sexy female variant cover still works on people... Marvel/DC puts out a lame comic with a scale rate writer, a scale rate artist, inking that's done on a computer - probably by an intern and the variant artist and editor probably get paid more than everyone else combined. They then solicit it through Diamond to retailers as a 1 in 25 variant to get more copies on the market and... what are you left with?

A hand full of guys who want to frame it and hang it up around their house, and 90% of the print run in the 5 for $1 box, where it still doesn't sell. 

And they wonder why their numbers continue to dwindle...