• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why people hate most modern books
3 3

447 posts in this topic

I was in my twenties when I read Sandman. 

For me, it only started getting really interesting around the Corinthian storyline, issue 10 onwards; "The Doll's House" arc.  I did feel that from the final, long story arc, 'The Kindly Ones', it began to drag a bit.  

But, for most of the run, a title I looked forward to picking up.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Uh... which Miracle Man? The 4th World stuff I loved more every time I've read it.

616461.jpg

Miracleman was fantastic the first time thru (I was probably about 26-27 when I read it).  Fast forward many years to when Marvel started the reprints...I bought them (as overpriced as they were) and it was pretty good, but not as mind-blowing as the first read.

I didn’t make it back up to the “Silver Age” arc, but I suspect that arc would still be interesting/relevant all these years later.  

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

I was in my twenties when I read Sandman. 

For me, it only started getting really interesting around the Corinthian storyline, issue 10 onwards; "The Doll's House" arc.  I did feel that from the final, long story arc, 'The Kindly Ones', it began to drag a bit.  

But, for most of the run, a title I looked forward to picking up,

Doll’s House was great.  So wonderfully bizarre.  The stand alone books (especially 13) between DH and Seasons of Mist were really strong.  A Game of You was a bit much at first, but it really works on re-read(s).  

It did drag at the end, but the first 50 issues (or more) are probably as good as it gets in the medium.

16 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Miracleman was fantastic the first time thru (I was probably about 26-27 when I read it).  Fast forward many years to when Marvel started the reprints...I bought them (as overpriced as they were) and it was pretty good, but not as mind-blowing as the first read.

I didn’t make it back up to the “Silver Age” arc, but I suspect that arc would still be interesting/relevant all these years later.  

The copper age was in a way the second golden age.  So many new things tried.

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That`s how I was with the Cheers tv show,as a kid I didn't get it, but as an adult watching it now it`s one of the best tv shows ever made.

I went and found WINGS on Hulu.  Same writers as Cheers, with an amazing cast.  Funny in the 1990's and still funny today. 

35 minutes ago, kav said:

The copper age was in a way the second golden age.  So many new things tried.

I’m with you there.  Some incredible stuff from that decade; Miller DD, V for Vendetta, Simonson Thor, Wolfman/Perez Titans...

9 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I’m with you there.  Some incredible stuff from that decade; Miller DD, V for Vendetta, Simonson Thor, Wolfman/Perez Titans...

not to mention all the indy stuff peter bagge, dan clowes, chester brown, dennis worden, seth, harvey pekar,  crumb's Weirdo (which got ruined by his wife and her friends IMO)

Edited by kav

5 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Yes!

“Hate” is sublime.  So perfect. 

missed my change buying orig pages when they were $100

8 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Yes!

“Hate” is sublime.  So perfect. 

I used to correspond with him and clowes and seth and them guys.  he told me he was gonna name the book I hate johan something because some guy in sweden or something screwed him on a business deal.  I still have all the letters.

I did a yummy fur parody called yucky cur and sent it to seth him and chet and joe got a BIG kick out of it.

Edited by kav

9 hours ago, kav said:

Yeah it was V for Vendetta meets District 9 with the old the establishment is evil mwah ha ha!!  meh

For a guy that gives a lot of posters the s hits then I'd have thought you'd love a character who's main weapon was a bowel disrupter......   :devil:  :foryou:

Edited by Beige
spelling

3 minutes ago, Beige said:

For a guy that gives a lot of posters the s hits then I'd have thought you'd love a character who's main weapon was a bowel disrupter......   :devil:  :foryou:

:pullhair:

4 minutes ago, Beige said:

Remember there are hundreds of other posters I can interact with tho.