• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why people hate most modern books
3 3

447 posts in this topic

Just now, oakman29 said:

Really the similarities between them is uncanny. :whatthe:

Now that U mention it-

doesn't he collect CAPS

6 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

hm   :whatthe:

I hadnt noticed it before but I just read thru his content --------------    :whatthe:

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I'm just happy he's not clinging on to me if he is.

Well you deal with pests as a profession so-

The old flagship titles have lost their identity. The companies are so busy trying to make a cheap product that can make the most money, imo the quality just isn't there anymore. Of course there are some exceptions but in general the comic industry has become more about the money than the comic itself. Most comic collectors want a cool cover,  excellent artwork and a good interesting story, the industry is failing to provide these basic wants. Why pay $5 for a poorly written and drawn modern comic that I can read in 3 minutes when I can buy a few back issues for the same money and check off all three basic wants. I think the companies need to look at what the buyer really wants. They take flagship characters that are popular and worked and changed them. Stop trying to change old characters to meet current social demands, if you want to keep with current events and pressures create a new character in the comic that fits that need.   

Edited by kidcolt

I am still buying out of loyalty to the title at this point and to my LCS.  I stop by once a month to pick up whatever ASMs have come out and that is it.  I honestly do not buy anything else. 

When I have some free time though I will eventually get a Marvel Unlimited subscription again.  I am curious though, before I do, if there will be any discount or incentive concerning the Disney streaming service which I definitely plan on getting. 

2 hours ago, kidcolt said:

Why pay $5 for a poorly written and drawn modern comic that I can read in 3 minutes when I can buy a few back issues for the same money and check off all three basic wants

Or, in my case, an entire digital Omnibus, Archive or Masterworks volume.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Or, in my case, an entire digital Omnibus, Archive or Masterworks volume.

^^

Amazon/Comixology have digital sales during the year were people can get whole Marvel Epic collections/ Marvel Masterworks/DC collections for $5.

We are talking like 300-500 page collections for those prices. There is no way I would ever go back to paying $4 for a 10 minute read for a modern printed comic.

Also I have Comixology Unlimited for $5.99 a month. It`s the Netflix of comics.I have access to 20,000 comic books to read online.All the major modern comic book companies. Marvel,DC,Image, Dark Horse, IDW,Archie,Fantagraphics,Manga and Valiant. I have discovered comic books I never would have discovered because of digital.

So do we pay $5.99 for access to read unlimited digital comics books a month or pay $3.99 for one printed monthly? ha ha lol.

I do think though this might be why the variants might be still popular because other than the variant covers going up in price we will find the digital comics are such a better value for their money compared to printed comics.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

1 hour ago, KPR Comics said:

Throwing a shout-out for Uncanny X-Force (Remender series)

Far and away the best X-Men anything I've read in forever. That run managed to tell new X-men stories while also rooting them in fan service. Gave me that teenage feeling again.

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

^^

Amazon/Comixology have digital sales during the year were people can get whole Marvel Epic collections/ Marvel Masterworks/DC collections for $5.

We are talking like 300-500 page collections for those prices. There is no way I would ever go back to paying $4 for a 10 minute read for a modern printed comic.

Also I have Comixology Unlimited for $5.99 a month. It`s the Netflix of comics.I have access to 20,000 comic books to read online.All the major modern comic book companies. Marvel,DC,Image, Dark Horse, IDW,Archie,Fantagraphics,Manga and Valiant. I have discovered comic books I never would have discovered because of digital.

So do we pay $5.99 for access to read unlimited digital comics books a month or pay $3.99 for one printed monthly? ha ha lol.

I do think though this might be why the variants might be still popular because other than the variant covers going up in price we will find the digital comics are such a better value for their money compared to printed comics.

Yes, there's no contest, digital is far and away the best and most economic way to read comics, not to mention the portability, and how vivid comics look on my iPad screen. I know a lot of people complain about how digital lacks the tactile sensations of reading comics, but to me, comics haven't felt and smelled like "comics" for a long time now. The paper is terrible, they smell like chemicals, it's all gross. (Although I have enjoyed the paper stock that DC has moved to on some of their books.) There are a couple of titles I will always buy in print, to keep the runs going. But as for my preferred reading method, there's no question, it's digital all the way. And thanks to sales and Humble Bundles, I have a big enough backlog that I don't worry about keeping up with "new" comics. I can catch them a few months down the road on Marvel Unlimited, or I can wait for them to go on sale. It's great!

Edited by F For Fake

6 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yes, there's no contest, digital is far and away the best and most economic way to read comics, not to mention the portability, and how vivid comics look on my iPad screen. I know a lot of people complain about how digital lacks the tactile sensations of reading comics, but to me, comics haven't felt and smelled like "comics" for a long time now. The paper is terrible, they smell like chemicals, it's all gross. (Although I have enjoyed the paper stock that DC has moved to on some of their books.) There are a couple of titles I will always buy in print, to keep the runs going. But as for my preferred reading method, there's no question, it's digital all the way. And thanks to sales and Humble Bundles, I have a big enough backlog that I don't worry about keeping up with "new" comics. I can't catch them a few months down the road on Marvel Unlimited, or I can wait for them to go on sale. It's great!

That`s another plus with digital in that  to me they are more fun to read on a Kindle/iPad. You can really appreciate the art on Neal Adams, Kirby,Steranko,Wrightson,Starlin,Rogers,Golden,Byrne and the other masters more because you can zoom in and look at the details better.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

2 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That`s another plus with digital in that  to me they are more fun to read on a Kindle/iPad. You can really appreciate the art on Neal Adams, Kirby,Steranko,Wrightson,Starlin,Rogers,Golden,Byrne and the other masters more because you can zoom in and look at the details better.

Absolutely, and the colors are terrific.