• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why people hate most modern books
3 3

447 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That`s another plus with digital in that  to me they are more fun to read on a Kindle/iPad. You can really appreciate the art on Neal Adams, Kirby,Steranko,Wrightson,Starlin,Rogers,Golden,Byrne and the other masters more because you can zoom in and look at the details better.

+1  Especially on the iPad pro and using Guided View

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That`s another plus with digital in that  to me they are more fun to read on a Kindle/iPad. You can really appreciate the art on Neal Adams, Kirby,Steranko,Wrightson,Starlin,Rogers,Golden,Byrne and the other masters more because you can zoom in and look at the details better.

While digital comics are undoubtedly convenient, it would be remiss not to mention the obvious downside, i.e. the hobby ceases to become a 'collecting' hobby where for me, a lot of the fun lies. Also, if you really want to appreciate the art then the EC Library or IDW Artist Edition  would be my preferred format of choice. I really think the digital process in comics (and music) has had a detrimental effect for the sake of convenience but will still, inevitably remain alongside as an option.

I think its just the era we grew up in. Think of all the stuff that was cool in the 60s 70s and 80s. We're talking movies. Video games. Toys. Almost anything. I can't remember the last time I went to the movie theatre and really liked the movie. Video games of today.... just not interested. Are there even any hobby shops around anymore besides Hobby Lobby? I guess you enjoy certain things the way you were introduced to them. Can't understand why my daughters like the music of today. So boring.

To me, I associate people that spend hundreds of dollars on new comics each month as people who also are lost when it comes to watching a movie because they cannot find a Blockbuster video... 

:foryou:

Edited by Buzzetta

40 minutes ago, mrc said:

While digital comics are undoubtedly convenient, it would be remiss not to mention the obvious downside, i.e. the hobby ceases to become a 'collecting' hobby where for me, a lot of the fun lies. Also, if you really want to appreciate the art then the EC Library or IDW Artist Edition  would be my preferred format of choice. I really think the digital process in comics (and music) has had a detrimental effect for the sake of convenience but will still, inevitably remain alongside as an option.

Right now we could say it's the golden age of reading comics because of digital :smile:

Kind of like music and Spotify.

42 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I think its just the era we grew up in. Think of all the stuff that was cool in the 60s 70s and 80s. We're talking movies. Video games. Toys. Almost anything. I can't remember the last time I went to the movie theatre and really liked the movie. Video games of today.... just not interested. Are there even any hobby shops around anymore besides Hobby Lobby? I guess you enjoy certain things the way you were introduced to them. Can't understand why my daughters like the music of today. So boring.

I think we have come full circle.

As I use to kid my dad and grandfather about what music they liked and now my son's kid me about listening to 1980s music and playing old school Nintendo games.

I guess it's a generation thing were the younger generation wants to rebel from what the older generation thought was cool.

Lol.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

22 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Right now we could say it's the golden age of reading comics because of digital :smile:

Kind of like music and Spotify.

You can say it.............but of course it's nonsense.

32 minutes ago, mrc said:

You can say it.............but of course it's nonsense.

I read more comics than ever with digital. Like I say I have access to over 20,000 comics to read for $5.99 a month.

To me it's the golden age of "reading" comics.

I can read from golden age to modern at a click.

That never could be done before in the history of the hobby, especially at a price of $5.99 a month.

One day I can read Peanuts,while the next day I can read Jack Kirby. If I want than something else.

All just with a click.

That to me is amazing for a reader to have such a opportunity to try so many different genre and niches.

I have no idea how much anyone is taking advantage of it, as digital sales numbers are some of the most closely guarded secrets in all of the universe for some reason but... he could be right. People have access to more comics now than they ever have at a fraction of the prices. 

If I have a whim and want to suddenly read, say...Superboy #195, a favorite childhood issue of mine... boom, there it is on comixology... 

That's convenience.

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

To me, I associate people that spend hundreds of dollars on new comics each month as people who also are lost when it comes to watching a movie because they cannot find a Blockbuster video... 

:foryou:

I have a few movies I need to return to Blockbuster. Are there any still open?          :wishluck:

As far as this being a collecting hobby, I guess I simply grew out of that aspect. I loved collecting in my teens and twenties but I’ve moved on from that. I just read all my favorites on my 12.9 inch iPad. I buy them on comiXology and iBooks.  The sheer amount I can carry with me anywhere and view the art in its best resolution has killed the physical format for me. They just look stunning on the screen. Plus there is something about the backlighting that can really bring the art to life in a way the physical page never could. I could never read them on a laptop though, has to be a tablet that I can handle easily. I have several versions of Dark Knight Returns in different formats right next the massive complete Bone series and the entire Sin City. Picked up the collected Calvin and Hobbes editions on iBooks and so many more. I doubt I will ever step foot inside a comic book shop again. Sad but true.

44 minutes ago, Oddball said:

As far as this being a collecting hobby, I guess I simply grew out of that aspect. I loved collecting in my teens and twenties but I’ve moved on from that. I just read all my favorites on my 12.9 inch iPad. I buy them on comiXology and iBooks.  The sheer amount I can carry with me anywhere and view the art in its best resolution has killed the physical format for me. They just look stunning on the screen. Plus there is something about the backlighting that can really bring the art to life in a way the physical page never could. I could never read them on a laptop though, has to be a tablet that I can handle easily. I have several versions of Dark Knight Returns in different formats right next the massive complete Bone series and the entire Sin City. Picked up the collected Calvin and Hobbes editions on iBooks and so many more. I doubt I will ever step foot inside a comic book shop again. Sad but true.

I first started getting intrigued by the potential of tablets when I read some public domain Golden Age material on Digital Comic Museum years ago, while using an early model, standard size iPad.  Too small, I thought, to read a full page easily, but the pinch magnification made me think about the possibilities if a larger size iPad existed.

So, you can guess how overjoyed I was when I got hold of a 12.9 iPad Pro version 2.  A perfect size to read a comic book or magazine page, and the same ability to focus in on the detail in every panel.  Crystal clear, vibrant colours, and very comfortable with True Tone optimisation.

Edited by Ken Aldred

My problem with modern comics, with few a exceptions is:

Continuity, some new writers come along, know nothing bout previous stories and just try to make the characters their own with not a care about the history of the character.

Also, a lot of the art is appalling. You get all these pretty covers, variants, then you flick inside and it's terrible. At that point, I can't even be bothered to read it.

58 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I think that`s what turned off a lot of people about digital comics in that their first experience with digital comics was on either a desktop or a laptop. I don't blame them as I didn't like digital comics on desktop/laptop as well.

Now, though It`s just is a 100% percent better experience on a tablet like a iPad or Kindle. In fact I think most of us who have tablets would now say digital comics on a tablet has surpassed print comics as the way to read them now.

10 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

I have no idea how much anyone is taking advantage of it, as digital sales numbers are some of the most closely guarded secrets in all of the universe for some reason but... he could be right. People have access to more comics now than they ever have at a fraction of the prices. 

If I have a whim and want to suddenly read, say...Superboy #195, a favorite childhood issue of mine... boom, there it is on comixology... 

That's convenience.

Easy access to complete, unbroken runs, not just settling for one favourite such as the ERG-1 / Wildfire story.

Eventually, you might find Legion of Super-Heroes Archives Vol 10 or another equivalent, and everything by Cockrum, in an effortless, cheap, one-stop digital sale sometime. :wishluck:

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Oddball said:

I feel sad for you.