• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why people hate most modern books
3 3

447 posts in this topic

Re: the collecting angle, I still collect comics. I spend more money on physical comics than I do any other nonessential in my life, probably. I just don't collect NEW comics. I mean, yeah, I still get my copies of Batman and Tec and Love & Rockets, but that's just because I can't give those runs up. But otherwise, the only way i READ new comics, is digitally. And I love it. There are still plenty of old comics to collect, and I don't see that ever stopping. But collecting is collecting, and reading is reading. And when it comes to reading, digital is the hands down winner.

20 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Sandman works best when the reader has a better-than-average grasp of ancient and modern mythologies...one has to read more than just comic books to appreciate it. Writers like Moore, Gaiman, and Morrison use all of literature, history, and philosophy to draw inspiration.

True. I've always been interested in mythology, and Sandman was fascinating in that respect.

4 hours ago, Oddball said:

Agreed, I never thought I would go digital on comics until the iPad. Can instantly jump to any issue in the series and any page.  I’ve taken screenshots of my favorite covers and pages and edited them for commission requests and other projects as well as sharing them with my kids.  

I only read digital comics when I travel, unless I have a TPB.

Digital is more convenient, but I don't enjoy is as much. I like the visceral experience of smelling the paper and the feel of the newsprint 2c

31 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I only read digital comics when I travel, unless I have a TPB.

Digital is more convenient, but I don't enjoy is as much. I like the visceral experience of smelling the paper and the feel of the newsprint 2c

I hear this from others too. For me, I’m a GenX’r so I didn’t grow up with Silver Age comics but I used to collect them and they have that unique smell that I grew to appreciate.  80’s comics are my nostalgic sweet spot and they have a different odor. But modern comics smell like the cleaning products in my bathroom. Just sharp chemicals. Some don’t have any odor at all. Which is better. So that just doesn’t factor in for me when I read moderns today. I hardly miss the feel of paper because the backlighting of my tablet improves the colors of every book I read. It’s a trade but its the visuals that are most important to me.  Kindle’s are a different experience for me though. I still enjoy a real paperback sometimes over my Kindle Oasis but my tablet is lighter and bathtub-proof. I love reading in bed and during a soak.

52 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

True. I've always been interested in mythology, and Sandman was fascinating in that respect.

Sandman is indeed a great tour of various world mythologies, including the mythology of the DC Universe. I've had many friends over the years who claimed that Sandman was too "arty" or pretentious or whatever, and I always point out that while Sandman is artful and worldly, it is also awash in DC comics minutiae and nerdery. Cain and Abel, Brut and Glob, Hector Hall, Element Woman, there's all KINDS of DC goodness in the pages of Gaiman's Sandman.  

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Sandman is indeed a great tour of various world mythologies, including the mythology of the DC Universe. I've had many friends over the years who claimed that Sandman was too "arty" or pretentious or whatever, and I always point out that while Sandman is artful and worldly, it is also awash in DC comics minutiae and nerdery. Cain and Abel, Brut and Glob, Hector Hall, Element Woman, there's all KINDS of DC goodness in the pages of Gaiman's Sandman.  

Absolutely. Wes Dodds as well. And a great issue about a DC female hero, Elastigirl maybe, who lost control of her powers.

I loved the guy who refused to die especially.

Just now, Bird said:

Absolutely. Wes Dodds as well. And a great issue about a DC female hero, Elastigirl maybe, who lost control of her powers.

I loved the guy who refused to die especially.

Hob Gadling! A great character!

14 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Easy access to complete, unbroken runs, not just settling for one favourite such as the ERG-1 / Wildfire story.

Eventually, you might find Legion of Super-Heroes Archives Vol 10 or another equivalent, and everything by Cockrum, in an effortless, cheap, one-stop digital sale sometime. :wishluck:

And I love those stories!

3 hours ago, DR.X said:

I prefer the older comics just for the adds. " I can paralyze a 200 lb attacker with just one finger ".  LOL So can I with my S & W 9mm.

Yubiwaza2.gif

I've never seen that ad before.  Far more impressive than Count Dante's claims back then.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, DR.X said:

I prefer the older comics just for the adds. " I can paralyze a 200 lb attacker with just one finger ".  LOL So can I with my S & W 9mm.

Yubiwaza2.gif

I mean theoretically yeah, if you jam a finger into someone's eyeball they are done.  A small friend of mine did this to a huge jock that grabbed him in a crushing bear hug.  Attack ceased immediately.

40 minutes ago, kav said:

I mean theoretically yeah, if you jam a finger into someone's eyeball they are done.  A small friend of mine did this to a huge jock that grabbed him in a crushing bear hug.  Attack ceased immediately.

That's what I figured it was, but with the picture of the woman in the defense illustration, it looked more like a finger up the nose with a rubber hose.... insane in the membrane...

Mmmmm braaiins....

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's what I figured it was, but with the picture of the woman in the defense illustration, it looked more like a finger up the nose with a rubber hose.... insane in the membrane...

Mmmmm braaiins....

yes they didnt want to give away the fact that Yubi Waza is merely sticking your finger in someone's eye because why buy the book just stick your finger in someone's eye.  I've had this done to me while training kids self defense and the pain was indescribable and immediately paralyzing.

Lets face it the eyeballs are not connected to the brain they are part of the brain.  You are jabbing someone in the brain when you do this.

Edited by kav