• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why people hate most modern books
3 3

447 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:
22 minutes ago, 500Club said:

Actually, let me put it to you this way:  if Marvel had systematically changed all these characters to new, 30 something, straight white men, of new identities, people would have been equally annoyed.

Mmmm... no I don't think so. Because then all of the closet misogynist/racist/homophobe's wouldn't have joined in to make it a much bigger deal than it should be. Really, this nonsense is ALL OVER the internet. And really, it just shouldn't be that big of a deal. 

hm

Maybe.  Maybe I’m being naive about this point.  Because you are right - there has been more overall talk about this than one would expect.

5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Case closed. 

Sometimes, less is more :)

Absolutely. Marvel started thinking short term during the boom of the 90's, sales were great, speculation was rampant. Unfortunately for them and really the rest of the industry, once the bottom fell out the numbers dipped well below what they had been before the boom.

I know books cost more today, so the sales numbers don't have to be nearly as high to be sustainable, but I would love to see what the actual profit margin is for the best selling books.

Though it's entirely possible Disney views the comics as R&D loss leaders like Warner does with DC comics.

If you’re not wanting to read Moderns because of the 3.99+ price tag .... consider switching to trade paper backs and hardcovers. Much cheaper. Much nicer. I enjoy collecting a select few categories of vintage (pre-80’s IMO) comics for the cover appeal mostly and the overall classic aspect of owning them. But when it comes to reading in any time frame it’s collected editions. 

Sorry to hear old school comic lovers haven’t found all the completely awesome works out there right now. Yes most of them are independent but there are some winners at the big two. Naturally opinions will matter. But comics as an art form are not dead and there’s plenty of talent out there. 

Edited by punksdropdirtysrh

This thread simply asked why people hate most modern books. Various answers were given. Some people like modern books, some don't.  There are no wrong answers here. I don't like precode horror books. I don't watch horror movies. Do you really think my tastes will change because you tell me how wrong I am?

Surprise! I don't care much for seafood either.

9 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:

. I don't watch horror movies.

ACK! Blasphemy!  Release the hounds! Actually, I don't watch Rom Com movies.

Seriously, collected editions are the way to go for me. If I don't like the story line, I can pass on it. Not like being trapped with a monthly pull at the LCS.

1 hour ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

If you’re not wanting to read Moderns because of the 3.99+ price tag .... consider switching to trade paper backs and hardcovers. Much cheaper. Much nicer. I enjoy collecting a select few categories of vintage (pre-80’s IMO) comics for the cover appeal mostly and the overall classic aspect of owning them. But when it comes to reading in any time frame it’s collected editions. 

Sorry to hear old school comic lovers haven’t found all the completely awesome works out there right now. Yes most of them are independent but there are some winners at the big two. Naturally opinions will matter. But comics as an art form are not dead and there’s plenty of talent out there. 

Marvel Unlimited... I really don't need to turn a page when I can swipe. 

I think I am going to get a subscription again this year and catch up on the last two years. 

1 hour ago, 500Club said:

hm

Maybe.  Maybe I’m being naive about this point.  Because you are right - there has been more overall talk about this than one would expect.

While there is no doubt that a certain group of people who don't actually care about comics also latched on, it's not like there was a shortage of complaints about Marvel's replacement of Spider-Man with his literal clone in the 90s.

I think all of you forget what keeps the characters viable...

In order to keep the characters viable readers and especially kids have to believe that it could be anybody including themselves under the masks.  I have said this before and I will say it again... 

The core concept of Captain America is that he is a man out of time using the values of days long past to deal with the issues of today.  For now, Steve Rogers still resonates since WWII is still spoken about in media and Call of Duty games continue to focus on the subject. Will Steve Rogers be replaced?  I really feel that this will eventually happen on a permanent basis in the way that they replaced Nick Fury.  I think it will eventually happen with a veteran from any of the three fronts or conflicts in the Middle East. I even <gasp> believe that it is perfectly fine for a person of color to be the next PERMANENT Captain America so long as he is a man out of time. 

The core concept of Spider-man is that he is the everyday kid/teenager/college student / under 30 character that has a mess of a civilian life but a fantastic time as a superhero.  Peter Parker is forever Spider-man but the core concept proved that there is just as much room for Miles Morales

Iron Man?  ANYONE can inherit the armor.  I am fine with RiRi taking over one day or any other character. 

I honestly feel that the only character that is untouchable is the Hulk and not for reasons that you may all think.  Core Concept of the Hulk is about a character trying to balance the monster vs the man.  I agree that Bruce Banner needs to be the Hulk and only Bruce Banner as if there are additional characters it dilutes the monster and specialness of the monster in the Marvel Universe.  However this is why She-Hulk works as well as she has to deal with the same dynamic.  I don't want multiple Hulks running around because it dilutes the sheer horror of having a character with that much raw strength running around.  The more Hulks you have dilutes the power of the Hulk.   I don't even care much for the Hulk but you need to have as few people with that level power as possible.

Many of you probably thought that Nick Fury was untouchable.  However Samuel Jackson made him 'cool'.  Now that there is a Sam Jackson lookalike running around the six one six... nobody really complains.  It can be done. It will be done.

At the end of the day, these characters need to evolve past the original creations of white males in order for the genre as a whole to appeal to future consumers. 

1 hour ago, mrc said:

Could someone please tell me where the great artwork in comic books is at  the moment. Anyone?

Interior art from the latest issues of Spawn by Jason Shawn Alexander no, not the guy who played George Costanza  has been naturally amazing, it's kind of re-fleshed out Spawn for the first time in about a decade or two since Capullo left. Especially with getting the old Toddfather back on the storyboard wagon.

Edited by Skylath

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

I think all of you forget what keeps the characters viable...

In order to keep the characters viable readers and especially kids have to believe that it could be anybody including themselves under the masks.  I have said this before and I will say it again... 

The core concept of Captain America is that he is a man out of time using the values of days long past to deal with the issues of today.  For now, Steve Rogers still resonates since WWII is still spoken about in media and Call of Duty games continue to focus on the subject. Will Steve Rogers be replaced?  I really feel that this will eventually happen on a permanent basis in the way that they replaced Nick Fury.  I think it will eventually happen with a veteran from any of the three fronts or conflicts in the Middle East. I even <gasp> believe that it is perfectly fine for a person of color to be the next PERMANENT Captain America so long as he is a man out of time. 

The core concept of Spider-man is that he is the everyday kid/teenager/college student / under 30 character that has a mess of a civilian life but a fantastic time as a superhero.  Peter Parker is forever Spider-man but the core concept proved that there is just as much room for Miles Morales

Iron Man?  ANYONE can inherit the armor.  I am fine with RiRi taking over one day or any other character. 

I honestly feel that the only character that is untouchable is the Hulk and not for reasons that you may all think.  Core Concept of the Hulk is about a character trying to balance the monster vs the man.  I agree that Bruce Banner needs to be the Hulk and only Bruce Banner as if there are additional characters it dilutes the monster and specialness of the monster in the Marvel Universe.  However this is why She-Hulk works as well as she has to deal with the same dynamic.  I don't want multiple Hulks running around because it dilutes the sheer horror of having a character with that much raw strength running around.  The more Hulks you have dilutes the power of the Hulk.   I don't even care much for the Hulk but you need to have as few people with that level power as possible.

Many of you probably thought that Nick Fury was untouchable.  However Samuel Jackson made him 'cool'.  Now that there is a Sam Jackson lookalike running around the six one six... nobody really complains.  It can be done. It will be done.

At the end of the day, these characters need to evolve past the original creations of white males in order for the genre as a whole to appeal to future consumers. 

I disagree. Create something NEW.

2 hours ago, mrc said:

Could someone please tell me where the great artwork in comic books is at  the moment. Anyone?

Taste in art is so subjective. There are a few "new" artists out there whose work I consider to be good, but most of them are cover artists, so I don't know where the new "great" artwork is IN comic books these days.

4 hours ago, Cliff R. said:

Yes, it does. Just another controversial gimmick to sell books.

How do you know Batman's genitalia was put in there by the artist to sell books and not just an artistic decision he made? It wasn't a DC marketing decision since they recalled it (unless you're under the impression that was their plan all along). 

1 minute ago, SBRobin said:

How do you know Batman's genitalia was put in there by the artist to sell books and not just an artistic decision he made? It wasn't a DC marketing decision since they recalled it (unless you're under the impression that was their plan all along). 

It's an odd artistic decision for a superhero book. As one of my favorite creators has said...the minute you start wondering how The Thing takes a krap, that's probably a sign you should stop reading superhero comics lol

3 hours ago, RCheli said:

Guy Gardner and John Stewart as the new Green Lantern...

Jim Rhodes as Iron Man...

Ben Reilly as Spider-Man...

That dude who replaced Captain America in the late 80s...

Don Blake no longer Thor...

This stuff isn't new. Is it because it's women that are replacing the characters that's bothering you?

Jim Rhodes wasnt a token minority, he was an established character we knew and loved.  Who the heck is Riri?

13 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

So there is no editorial oversight in comics these days?  If it had been Supergirl showing off her assets, would anyone have cried bloody murder?

You bet.

I just figured it out, it's cause you have to drive 35 miles one way to get to a comic store.  lol

Photoshop is the greatest thing since sliced bread but when it is abused for rush jobs.... oh man.

Here is a page finished by a real digital colorist.

Monstress-3.jpg

2 hours ago, Logan510 said:

It's an odd artistic decision for a superhero book. As one of my favorite creators has said...the minute you start wondering how The Thing takes a krap, that's probably a sign you should stop reading superhero comics lol

You should tell that to the characters of the big bang theory, lol.