• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why people hate most modern books
3 3

447 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Logan510 said:

It's an odd artistic decision for a superhero book. As one of my favorite creators has said...the minute you start wondering how The Thing takes a krap, that's probably a sign you should stop reading superhero comics lol

’I think I must’ve eaten some bad food in the Negative Zone, Reed.  All that’s coming out is sand!’

I'm sure others have stated all these reasons, but for me and in the order of importance. Why I don't buy or read new comics:

1) Lack of continuity. The constant reboots, re-imaging and abandonment of what happened in the past begs the question: If publishers have to keep reinventing their characters, origins, identities and past ---  WERE THEY EVER selling anything I should give a spoon about in the first place? 

2) The price. Comic books no longer represent a good entertainment value. For the price of three comic books that would take me an hour to read (if I read really slow) myself and entire family enjoy hundreds of hours of entertainment from Netflix every month. Free Comic book day and the occasional promotion stunt suggests that publishers COULD be profitably making comic books in the $1.00 - $1.50 range. But they would rather milk a slowly shrinking base of collectors rather than do the hard work of attracting new readers. Even free comic book day - supposedly to attract new readers - is a rip off of retailers. Everyone else in the pipeline is doing their part at cost. The comic book store spends actual money to give the books away. 

3) Variant covers. The blatant money grab bothers me and long term IMHO it's bad for the collecting hobby. People spend good money on these "collectible, rare variants" only to find out some years later that maybe 1 of 10 retain any collector value 

So there you go.  I still buy comics. OLD, vintage comics. 

Edited by Tony S

8 hours ago, mrc said:

Could someone please tell me where the great artwork in comic books is at  the moment. Anyone?

While I agree that Marvel is lacking at the moment (I firmly believe it's just a budget issue, they don't believe they need to pay for better artists as the books still sell okay as is), DC does have some decent stuff going on. Look at Clay Mann's work on Heroes In Crisis, for instance. He's always been a great artist, and he's really firing on all cylinders here. 

8 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I disagree. Create something NEW.

And believe it or not... I am okay with that.  I actually see that argument. 

I still like Samuel Jackson Fury though.  :D

47 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

And believe it or not... I am okay with that.  I actually see that argument. 

I still like Samuel Jackson Fury though.  :D

Haven't we already established why they don't create something new?

The model of success as a comics creator today isn't the creator working for Marvel and DC - it's either the Todd McFarlane model (as a hopeful dream) or the Robert Kirkman model (as the hopeful possibility). 

I don't find the modern art appealing some of those recent covers are just ugh! Just look at these Ms Marvel covers are they trying to go for an art deco theme? It's just plain ugly have a look at John Buscema drawing lines, heck I would buy a comic just to see how the lines got their powers. 

images (2).jpg

images (1).jpg

images.jpg

13 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I don't find the modern art appealing some of those recent covers are just ugh! Just look at these Ms Marvel covers are they trying to go for an art deco theme? It's just plain ugly have a look at John Buscema drawing lines, heck I would buy a comic just to see how the lines got their powers. 

I'm in total agreement with you. Like I said, I'd take a Romita Sr. page over anything out today. And I have a zillion little stylistic annoyances with modern comic book art that are way too... detailed to go into here. 

But... remember at one time, the art at Marvel Comics (Kirby and Ditko) was actually seen as 'rough' and 'ugly' by many professionals (especially the guys at DC) - it was different than the smooth lines of guys like Curt Swan and Carmine Infantino...

And for all the diversity haters who think it's something NEW at Marvel:

Note: I think it’s important to note that from 1966 to when he stopped writing for Marvel in (roughly) 1970, that Social Justice Warrior Stan Lee (sarcasm) co-created 4 BLACK superheroes (Black Panther, Bill Foster aka Black Goliath/Giant Man, Falcon, and the Prowler) and only ONE white one - an alien at that - in Captain Marvel.

What Social Message was he trying to send? Why is he so beloved if he was such a SJW (as they call it)?

Note: THEN from 1970 to 1974 a new wave of Marvel creators came in who were OBVIOUSLY commie pinko SJW’s (more sarcasm) - Look who they created: Sunfire (Asian), Red Wolf (Native American), Valkyrie (Female) - Yes, all three new characters of 1970 were non-white superheroes, oh my god, it’s a revolution! Then: Lady Lark (female), Mockingbird (female), Namorita (female), Luke Cage (African-American), Tigra (female), Shanna (female), Thundra (female), Moondragon (bald female), Mantis (Asian, female), Blade (African-American), Brother Voodoo (African-American), Shang-Chi (Asian), Lin Sun (Asian), Abe Brown (African-American), Wolverine (Canadian!!!), Colleen Wing (Asian, female) and Misty Knight (African-American, female).

White Male - 19

‘other’ - 20

Looks to me like the revolution started WAY before the modern age.

What Social Message was Roy Thomas, Jim Starlin, Gerry Conway, Archie Goodwin, etc. trying to send? Why are they so beloved if they were such SJW’s (as they call it)?

The main problem for an old fart is jumping in and understanding what the heck is going on as stories jump from title to title. It might explain why a title like walking dead has a core readership. You can follow the plot. And no dang reboots. I don't think comics today are worse than in the 70s through 90s. Some 70s and 80s books were horrible.

29 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Note: I think it’s important to note that from 1966 to when he stopped writing for Marvel in (roughly) 1970, that Social Justice Warrior Stan Lee (sarcasm) co-created 4 BLACK superheroes (Black Panther, Bill Foster aka Black Goliath/Giant Man, Falcon, and the Prowler) and only ONE white one - an alien at that - in Captain Marvel.

What Social Message was he trying to send? Why is he so beloved if he was such a SJW (as they call it)?

Note: THEN from 1970 to 1974 a new wave of Marvel creators came in who were OBVIOUSLY commie pinko SJW’s (more sarcasm) - Look who they created: Sunfire (Asian), Red Wolf (Native American), Valkyrie (Female) - Yes, all three new characters of 1970 were non-white superheroes, oh my god, it’s a revolution! Then: Lady Lark (female), Mockingbird (female), Namorita (female), Luke Cage (African-American), Tigra (female), Shanna (female), Thundra (female), Moondragon (bald female), Mantis (Asian, female), Blade (African-American), Brother Voodoo (African-American), Shang-Chi (Asian), Lin Sun (Asian), Abe Brown (African-American), Wolverine (Canadian!!!), Colleen Wing (Asian, female) and Misty Knight (African-American, female).

White Male - 19

‘other’ - 20

What Social Message was Roy Thomas, Jim Starlin, Gerry Conway, Archie Goodwin, etc. trying to send? Why are they so beloved if they were such SJW’s (as they call it)?

I believe credit for the Prowler goes to John Romita Jr, who was 12 or 13 when he conceived the Character.

As for dislike of attempts to make the comics more diverse... We don't live in a world that is 80% white and male and 100% straight, so why wouldn't comics be reflective of the world or at least the USA? Which characters have been retrofitted? She-thor was a temporary thing, right? Isn't Nick fury junior how they added melatonin in the comics? (Outside ultimate worlds) are we mad that alternate universes have alternate brown versions? Danvers Ms. Marvel keeping that name seems silly in the 2000s. As for gay characters and story arcs, again, 5% or more of the population, but i get that this may not makes sense if comics are meant for a 6 - 86 type readership. Admittedly, confusing for a young kid. Although both my kids were not confused on this topic as of age 4 given two sets of neighbors on our block, including two moms of my youngests' best buddies. Many kids do not have that to put things in context though. Otoh, are most comics now PG-13 with the advent of the younger readers lines? I just remember the letters section in FF 54 or 55. Some people were not happy either. Thanks Stan and Jack for not worrying about that so much.

1 hour ago, tv horror said:

images (2).jpg

images (1).jpg

images.jpg

I don't have a problem with any of those covers. Sal buscema was allowed to produce horrible covers on peter Parker for a decade. These are trying to be a little different/artistic. Ms. Marvel is done in a slightly more cartoony style. I think it is aimed for a younger appeal. Also, Dunno if market research says women don't mind that style? With that said I don't like that stuff on my spidey books. Ramos, bleach. But I kind of do line skottie young covers, wouldn't want a book of his insides though. Powell works on monsters, wouldn't want him on x-men...

May 2018:

All New Wolverine: X-23 (female) 0-1 against the 'white guys'

Amazing Spider-Man: PP (white dude) 1-1 

Astonishing X-Men: It's a tie 1-1-1

Avengers: Another tie: 1-1-2

Ben Reily Scarlet Spider: (wd) 2-1-2

Black Bolt: (wd) 3-1-2

Black Panther: 2-2-2

Cable: (wd) 3-2-2

Captain America: (wd) 4-2-2

Champions: (diversity) 4-3-2

Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider: (wd) 5-3-2

Daredevil: (wd) 6-3-2

Deadpool: (wd) 7-3-2

Despicable Deadpool: (wd) 8-3-2

Doctor Strange: (wd) 9-3-2

Doctor Strange: (wd) 10-3-2

Falcon: 10-4-2

Hawkeye: (wd) 11-4-2

Iceman: (wd) 12-4-2

Incredible Hulk: 12-5-2

Invincible Iron Man: (tie for now) 12-5-3

Iron Fist: (wd) 13-5-3

Iron Man Hong Kong Heroes: (wd) 14-5-3

Jessica Jones: 14-6-3

Marvel Two-in-One: 15-6-3

Marvel's Ant-Man and the Wasp Preview: (tie) 15-6-4

Mighty Thor:(though this changes next issue) 15-7-4

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur: 15-8-4

Moon Knight: 16-8-4

Ms Marvel: 16-9-4

New Mutants: 16-9-5

Old Man Hawkeye: 17-9-5

Old Man Logan: 18-9-5

Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-man: 19-9-5

Phoenix Resurrection: 19-10-5

Punisher: (wd) 20-10-5

Black Pather Rise of: 20-11-5

Rogue and Gambit: 20-11-6

She-Hulk: 20-12-6

Spider-Gwen: 20-13-6

Spider-man: 20-14-6

Spider-Man/Deadpool: 21-14-6

Tales of Suspense: 21-14-7

Thanos: 22-14-7

Venom: 23-14-7

Weapon H: 24-14-7

Weapon X: 25-14-7

X-Men Blue: 25-14-8

X-Men Gold: 25-14-9

X-Men Red: 25-14-10

Still looks like a substantial lead for white dude superheroes.

39 minutes ago, the blob said:

The main problem for an old fart is jumping in and understanding what the heck is going on as stories jump from title to title. It might explain why a title like walking dead has a core readership. You can follow the plot. And no dang reboots. I don't think comics today are worse than in the 70s through 90s. Some 70s and 80s books were horrible.

Exactly. And with all the fake deaths in superhero comics, there's nothing to really make you truly care and worry for a characters well being. In the Walking Dead, if you die, you're dead. You can get attached to those characters and actually get emotionally tied into the story.

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

White Male - 19

‘other’ - 20

New characters, whouda thunk it.

Edited by Logan510

32 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I believe credit for the Prowler goes to John Romita Jr, who was 12 or 13 when he conceived the Character.

Officially (i.e. legally), the character was created by Stan Lee and John Buscema from a 'suggestion' by John Romita Sr.