• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Religious Comic Book (some pretty scary)

23 posts in this topic

Greetings, I found these in an old suitcase a few months ago.  I've not really done any research on them other then a quick eBay search.  Does anyone know if these have any real demand in the comic book collector's world?  I flipped through a couple and they seem to have a bit of a "scary" religious message going on.

If anyone has any input on these, I'd love to hear it.  I plan to do some research in the future, and I'm assuming it's going to be real hit and miss.

Thanks!

DJ

20190202_130036.jpg

20190202_130052.jpg

20190202_130057.jpg

I actually found three Archie ones with these.  I assume they are not really worth much.  But you can't complain when you find them and don't have to pay for them (unless I have to pay to get rid of them...then that's another story).

20190203_091642.jpg

On 2/3/2019 at 10:19 AM, Donald Jack said:

I actually found three Archie ones with these.  I assume they are not really worth much.  But you can't complain when you find them and don't have to pay for them (unless I have to pay to get rid of them...then that's another story).

20190203_091642.jpg

There is another.....

On 2/3/2019 at 9:19 AM, Donald Jack said:

20190203_091642.jpg

Check out the Any experts on Spire Christian Comics out there? thread for more info, if you haven't already. I have most of their Archie comics in my collection, as my Catholic grandmother bought them for me.  

54 minutes ago, archiecomicscollector said:

Check out the Any experts on Spire Christian Comics out there? thread for more info, if you haven't already. I have most of their Archie comics in my collection, as my Catholic grandmother bought them for me.  

This was a great thread.  Thanks so much for sending me over there.

Cleaning out a drawer this weekend I discovered I have a copy of The Hiding Place that I forgot I owned. I guess it was ... hiding.

I also remember passing on a copy of Hansi for 50 cents at an antique shop about 10 years ago. Even if these don't have any real monetary value they're still a cool oddity to own

That's interesting about your find at the antique shop.  Every shop that I've ever been to that has a comic book vendor seems to think that, because it's an antique shop, EVERY comic book should start at the $20.00 and higher range (exaggerating for effect here).  It would be cool to find a "dollar" box that held some great stuff.  And you're right...these may not have a lot of value, but they make a great conversation piece.

On 2/2/2019 at 7:11 PM, Donald Jack said:

20190202_130036.jpg

That's a coincidence. Second time I've seen that Smuggler book recently

On 1/28/2019 at 5:35 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Not much new to report here. I did spot this UK printing of this book here:

gs.thumb.jpg.b0452a2db9f1e3d7dc11b5a37f6b2560.jpg

gs1.thumb.jpg.ddeeb7b5bc2f3b6f41c687bab06b8c41.jpg

gs2.thumb.jpg.80c7cd32a308cd04afbad91ca44d78da.jpg

gs3.thumb.jpg.5ee1193784931f801f7e86ce8116d801.jpg

Not on the GCD:

https://www.comics.org/issue/244659/

:eyeroll:

8 hours ago, Donald Jack said:

That's interesting about your find at the antique shop.  Every shop that I've ever been to that has a comic book vendor seems to think that, because it's an antique shop, EVERY comic book should start at the $20.00 and higher range (exaggerating for effect here).  It would be cool to find a "dollar" box that held some great stuff.  And you're right...these may not have a lot of value, but they make a great conversation piece.

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. There are multiple antique shops by my house that do consignment. And the prices are outrageous.

The store that had the Hansi book is a rare one where sell stuff cheap. For comics though they normally only have Archie's and other non hero stuff. None bagged or boarded or well displayed. Just tossed in a heap. I used to go in there once a week hoping to stumble upon a hidden AF15 or something crazy. Needless to say, didn't pan out. 😪

“Hansi” is easily the cream of the Crop when it comes to the Spire comics.  As a whole, there’s a small following.  You’ve got collectors trying to put that run together.

Hansi is the “crossover book”.  So weird, you want to own it, even if you have no interest in it.

Interesting... I'm a recent convert to the Catholic Church... and after I saw the subject here, I looked up "Catholic Comics"... voila!

A Catholic comic... produced by Marvel!

Some older stuff from the 40's and 50's too... none very valuable per se, but still kinda cool. :)