• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Religious Comic Book (some pretty scary)

23 posts in this topic

I am slowly collecting the Spire books as well, just picking them up in 50 cent or $1 bins. I have most of the Archie books at this point and maybe half of the others. Some seem to me to be more regional, which I guess makes sense - I have never yet seen a copy of either Johnny Cash or Tom Landry, which I'm guessing sold a lot more copies down south as opposed to up here in New England. While Hansi is the big one from the set, Johnny Cash I'd say is probably a solid second place. 

There are also some religious comics from the 70's the look just like Spire books, but aren't by Spire. The company was called Logos, and the books were done by Tony Tallarico. There are apparently four comics in that line: Prison to Praise, Run Baby Run, Ben Israel, and Amazing Saints. I believe I have the first two but not the last two. 

Edited by Crimebuster

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

Interesting... I'm a recent convert to the Catholic Church... and after I saw the subject here, I looked up "Catholic Comics"... voila!

A Catholic comic... produced by Marvel!

Some older stuff from the 40's and 50's too... none very valuable per se, but still kinda cool. :)

Marvel also did a comic about the life of John Paul II. 

But if you really want to go down the rabbit hole of Catholic comics, you need to look at Treasure Chest of Fun and Fact. This was a comic that was produced specifically for sale within Catholic schools from around 1947 through the early 1970's. There's like 400+ issues, and it's a mix of kid's adventure stuff and Catholic themed content. A lot of bible stories, lives of saints, biopics of current popes and other church officials. Most of the issues are dirt cheap as few people collect them, but there's some good stuff in there, with art from DC and Marvel artists who were moonlighting for some extra bucks. There was also an ongoing anti-communist series within the title in the early 60's that commands some money. 

I wonder if any churches may have boxes of these (in any condition) not being read anymore.  Probably a longshot as I'd assume storage is a premium and most of these would have probably bee given away/tossed many years ago.  But you never know.

Thanks for the additional information about the Logos books.  I've seen (at least I seem to remember seeing) Run Baby Run, many years ago and didn't give it any real thought.