• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do sellers from Eugene, Oregon have such a difficult time keeping their CGC graded books in the slabs?

84 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

The brush isn't broad at all. I believe that specifically cited were Eugene Oregon located ebay sellers who list raw books with floating CGC labels that, in reality, could never be associated with the book pictured and alluded to, or Euegene, Oregon sellers who although having numerous CGC and PGX slabbed books, have listings where the CGC graded ones are cracked, pried apart, et.al = compromised. 

I don't see any other Eugene Oregon sellers being singled out other than the type with the MO specifically mentioned' All PGX books uncompromised, while most CGC books compromised. If you think all of the seller's books are above board, including the SS 4 he states was cracked from a CGC 8.5 slab, then by all means, buy it and everything else he offers. It's your money.

The statement "All the german chocolate cakes are baked by people living in Eugene" is not the same as "Everyone in Eugene bakes german chocolate cakes".

16 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

The brush isn't broad at all. I believe that specifically cited were Eugene Oregon located ebay sellers who list raw books with floating CGC labels that, in reality, could never be associated with the book pictured and alluded to, or Euegene, Oregon sellers who although having numerous CGC and PGX slabbed books, have listings where the CGC graded ones are cracked, pried apart, et.al = compromised. 

I don't see any other Eugene Oregon sellers being singled out other than the type with the MO specifically mentioned' All PGX books uncompromised, while most CGC books compromised. If you think all of the seller's books are above board, including the SS 4 he states was cracked from a CGC 8.5 slab, then by all means, buy it and everything else he offers. It's your money.

The message you are sending out on this board for these various ebay scams (Stan Lee forgeries, Eugene OR CGC fakes, etc) while somewhat important are not of great value to the majority of the members of this forum. I say that because the level of sophistication of the collectors found here would be highly unlikely to fall for any of these BS sales attempts. So while I get that you are doggedly beating the bushes to expose these situations, I find the multitude of threads you are making about them feeling more like spam than information I am interested in personally.

Granted-- posting them here will get the word out via google etc - and might even increase the traffic to this forum for those poor souls not so experienced but finding a match to their particular scam. I am not saying you should stop in your pursuit of evil -- I just wish you would consolidate all these things a bit if possible. It is bad enough that we have about 15 active threads about ebay as it is now and new folks are adding new ones all the time. If we had a moderator who was actively attempting to merge threads of the same content, this would not be a problem. I am not sure exactly what they do other than look for violations of TOS.

13 hours ago, aszumilo said:

image.png.e1280d70abe2158e960a9a0e79489d55.png

Took a long time to get that back from CGC.  Almost 2 years.  Must be a record for longest turn around times.

And... of all the copies of ASM 361 9.8 to choose to display he picks a copy with misaligned spine. Not the prettiest copy of 361 in 9.8

You

4 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

The brush isn't broad at all.

P.S.  CGC does not give you discounts or credits for formulating alleged conspiracies perpetrated by their "competitors" and spreading those on the CGC message boards (I really don't think PGX qualifies as a real competitor of CGC).  Instead, if they read such posts, they are probably relieved that under the CDA they have a complete defense from liability for your message board speech.

7 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

So while I get that you are doggedly beating the bushes to expose these situations.

I just wish you would consolidate all these things a bit if possible. .

Doggedly? I don't beat any bushes. The scams I posted about were discovered in simply surfing ebay for Silver age listings! Where I would be looking for things that match my interest. During surfing is where these irregularities mentioned are found. Were I to go out of my way looking, and reporting back here on all of the garbage, my post count would average 100+ per day instead of 4 point something!! hm 

My posts are consolidated, which is why I found the old thread about Tonfulle-84 and used that to update his 200 forgeries sold over the time since being posted about.

4 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

You

P.S.  CGC does not give you discounts or credits for formulating alleged conspiracies perpetrated by their "competitors" and spreading those on the CGC message boards (I really don't think PGX qualifies as a real competitor of CGC).  Instead, if they read such posts, they are probably relieved that under the CDA they have a complete defense from liability for your message board speech.

Maybe you should ask CGC if I requested a discount or credit before accusing me of it?

4 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

In short, your posts are really foolish and irresponsible in defaming an entire community's collectors and sellers, a community which includes eBay sellers with impecable reputations and widely respected comic creators, because you paint with too broad a brush.  

You really need to apply more wisdom to your posts.

So when mentioning the blatant Stan Lee forgeries of one particular seller, or one seller misrepresenting a comic by misusing a CGC label, I'm foolishly defaming the entire hobby and everyone in it?

Did the fellow who had his Batman run stolen from his storage locker carelessly and recklessly defame and disparage honest hobbyists and the entire community by mentioning it because there are those that wouldn't do such a thing? doh! 

8 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

So when mentioning the blatant Stan Lee forgeries of one particular seller, or one seller misrepresenting a comic by misusing a CGC label, I'm foolishly defaming the entire hobby and everyone in it?

Did the fellow who had his Batman run stolen from his storage locker carelessly and recklessly defame and disparage honest hobbyists and the entire community by mentioning it because there are those that wouldn't do such a thing? doh! 

If you target your comments to the bad actors, instead of an entire community of sellers, I'd have no objection at all.  But, as explained in detail above, that's not what you are doing.

1 hour ago, If It's Key It's For Me said:

Don't you think that in the past 19 years there's been an inordinate amount of scammers from the Eugene area? I do.

Eight posts in and you already are looking to smear? 

Look, have you ever been scammed by a Eugene seller?  I have not.  And I've been buying from Eugene stores and collectors since the mid-1970s.  

One prominent Eugene ebay seller, nostalgiacollectibles, has a 100% rating on eBay with 5036 transactions.  

But, I don't doubt that there are scammers in Eugene and everywhere else.  Unfortunately, comic collecting is plagued by a history of scandal and scammers, including some that have implicated some of the most prominent dealers and collectors of comic books and original art.  It is very very sad.  But it is not reason to smear all of the collectors or dealers in an area because their is a scammer in that area.

Edited by sfcityduck

I am curious - I thought PGX Hindquarters is located in Springfield.  I see they now have a Eugene P.O. box.  Did they move, or do they just slip across the border into Eugene to pick up their mail?

33 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I am curious - I thought PGX Hindquarters is located in Springfield.  I see they now have a Eugene P.O. box.  Did they move, or do they just slip across the border into Eugene to pick up their mail?

Eugene and Springfield are directly adjacent and the Eugene borders are expanding.  They might have been in an unincorporated area that Eugene annexed.

Just now, sfcityduck said:
35 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Eugene and Springfield are directly adjacent and the Eugene borders are expanding.  They might have been in an unincorporated area that Eugene annexed.

Ok - yeah - I grew up in Oakridge and went to college at UofO too (1981-1985).

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:
3 hours ago, If It's Key It's For Me said:

Don't you think that in the past 19 years there's been an inordinate amount of scammers from the Eugene area? I do.

Eight posts in and you already are looking to smear? 

That's a STUpendous underestimation of his total posting career. :grin: