• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will a pressing take out "tracing" lines?

4 posts in this topic

I have a comic in 7.0 with below notes. I think when I was a kid I used to practice drawing by tracing over my comics. would a press possibly take out the indentation causes by tracing lines? I can't see the tracing lines now that the book is in the slab, but I'm assuming they are noticeable when the cover is viewed through a light. Thanks for any help. 

Grader Notes:

bend right bottom of back cover
multiple dent
spine stress lines
tracing front cover

One trick I came up with that worked pretty well on an X-Men#4 with deep trace lines was to take a pencil with a hard eraser and use the eraser to "pound out" the trace lines. I'm being serious, even though this probably sounds ridiculous. To do this I opened up the cover on a table and laid it flat and held the pencil with the eraser side facing down and firmly but gently tapped along the lines to start to push them back out (it takes a little practice to know the right amount of pressure to use, I tested on worthless books). After doing that in multiple short rounds and checking the front cover to see my progress I eventually got to the point where I could barely see the lines with the naked eye. At that point I pressed the book and I could no longer see them.

The amount of success probably varies by book, but in this case it worked well. I never had another good candidate to try it again though. But it's obviously at least somewhat risky. You don't want to go buckwild and punch a hole through the cover. I only came up with this method because pressing alone made little difference due to how deep the tracing dents were.  If the trace lines are deep enough that you can easily feel them like brail on the inside of the cover then you probably have a situation like I had.

Edited by serling1978

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:12 PM, SBRobin said:

I have a comic in 7.0 with below notes. I think when I was a kid I used to practice drawing by tracing over my comics. would a press possibly take out the indentation causes by tracing lines? I can't see the tracing lines now that the book is in the slab, but I'm assuming they are noticeable when the cover is viewed through a light. Thanks for any help. 

Grader Notes:

bend right bottom of back cover
multiple dent
spine stress lines
tracing front cover

Obviously there are many factors involved in answering this question. The short answer is yes (if done correctly). 

Factors that will have a say in how well the book looks after are: have the trace lines broken color, are ink or pencil present, what kind of cover stock are we dealing with, etc. 

Which book is it? 

p.s. based on the notes i sounds like a proper press will take out more than just the tracing lines.