• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hmmm, swipe ya think? Naww...

12 posts in this topic

I really don't think that's a swipe, or at least not that one of those covers swiped the other... I suppose there is a very slim chance they were both working from the same original photo.

The space where you pilot a plane from (not even trying the correct word against the forums automatic censor) is very small and cramped, there's really no other way to set up the shot.  And enough small details are different.

Definitely an interesting coincidence, however.

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I really don't think that's a swipe, or at least not that one of those covers swiped the other... I suppose there is a very slim chance they were both working from the same original photo.

The space where you pilot a plane from (not even trying the correct word against the forums automatic censor) is very small and cramped, there's really no other way to set up the shot.  And enough small details are different.

Definitely an interesting coincidence, however.

OH it's very definitely a swipe; I was being facetious in the title.  The Gangbusters is from '53, the Beyond from '54.  Notice at the very front, the controls are all the same, as are the pilot's hand positions.  The way their heads are tilted, exact same clothes and badges, even the microphone is the same, as is the telephone on the right.  The stewardess in the back is also in the same position as the original.

10 hours ago, fifties said:

OH it's very definitely a swipe; I was being facetious in the title.  The Gangbusters is from '53, the Beyond from '54.  Notice at the very front, the controls are all the same, as are the pilot's hand positions.  The way their heads are tilted, exact same clothes and badges, even the microphone is the same, as is the telephone on the right.  The stewardess in the back is also in the same position as the original.

Fair enough.  I'm just as serious in saying that I don't think it's a swipe.  I think they're both borrowing from the same source; be it a real plane or a scene from a movie or something.  Given the layout of the plane, there just isn't anywhere else people could be... and that's what pilot's uniforms looked like back then.  Lots of little details are more different than I would personally expect in a swipe.

With that said, we can certainly agree to disagree with good will.  It's a very cool find of two very similar covers, even if not an actual swipe.

On 2/4/2019 at 5:08 AM, fifties said:

Gangbusters.jpg

The Beyond, 25, reduced a.jpg

I can see @OtherEric‘s point. It’s possible that both cover artists used the same source photo, (if one exists) without seeing each other’s work. But given the year gap in publication, I’m leaning towards a swipe.

More importantly, is that Gang Busters the first Precode Hijack cover? Was the term Hijack even used yet?

Edited by Jayman

On 2/6/2019 at 1:42 PM, Arkadin said:

Well, swipe or not.. why the heck are those Gangbusters pilots wearing those weird goggles? 

They must have watched too many Laker basketball games, thru one of those DC "future scopes", with Kareem wearing his goggles...and thought they looked cool...:idea: