• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What has been your biggest sacrifice to collect comics?

7 posts in this topic

Hi All, new collector here but very active.   I was wondering for you guys and gals with bigger collections / several major keys, what is the most significant thing you have sacrificed to pay for your collecting interests?   Waited an extra 3 years to replace a car?  Ditched a family vacation to lock up a high value book?   There have to be some crazy stories out there!!!

Collecting playing cards. I've mostly given up, and even sold high-money decks, to fund my comic collection. It's intensifying and I might have to liquidate my collection (5-figures at minimum).

I'm adamant about keeping at least a gross (144) of decks, but the comics keep whispering to me...

When owning the comic is more important than having a new car, taking a vacation, etc. it doesn’t feel like a sacrifice at all; it’s a preference. I’ll gladly forego one luxury for another; in my case I like comics, so that’s what I get. 

When I think sacrifice I consider it as giving something up or denying myself something I desire for someone else’s benefit; sacrifice goes beyond selfish preference. my comics can become the sacrifice if the need arises, but never the other way around.

For instance, if it were just myself to consider I would pass on vacations to buy comics and be content with that; I don’t value vacations in the traditional sense like most seem to. However, I have a wife and kids who do like vacations, so my “sacrifice” is leaving my future copy of FF1 in someone else’s hands whilst I spend freely on my family. I would never sacrifice my family for comics, comics aren’t important enough nor should they be.

In two bouts of comic reading and collecting totaling a span of over 35 years, I've spent a lot of time on the hobby, but never made any kind of financial sacrifice for it.  It's been a hobby, after all.

Edited by namisgr

3 hours ago, Ovrclck said:

I got back into comic collecting a few years ago and at the time, had a MINI Cooper JCW, fully modded etc. I had to choose which hobby I enjoyed more. Looks like comic books won (thumbsu  Best decision ever! Saved $700+ a month in the process. 

Yeah. When I was a kid, I wanted a brand new Corvette. 

I don't have a brand new Corvette. 

But I have an awesome comic collection. :devil:

The Corvette, in my hands, would have led to the grave or jail. Things work out the way they should I guess. 

7 hours ago, Joosh said:

I don’t value vacations in the traditional sense like most seem to.

You're not doing it right, then. 

:)