• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Married Pages

10 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is where this belongs, but here is the story

I sent in a very low grade copy of Superman Vol. 1 #7 to be graded with a detached cover, first wrap and centerfold, and the cover split and reattached with tape.  It is indeed a low grade copy and came back 1.0 grade, which I am completely fine with and expected.   I bought this from the son of an original owner, who lives here in town that I have several mutual friends with whose father read the heck out of these as a kid and even as a teenager.  The issue is it came back as having a married centerfold.  I am sure there are a variety of scenarios where this could have happened, but I am almost positive that the centerfold was not married and none of the other books had this issue.

Has anyone else had a similar issue or maybe was there something I missed in detecting a married centerfold. 

I am little perplexed by this one.

I'm thinking that at some point the original centerfold may have been lost and the previous owner found another one to replace it. As with many Golden Age books, "parts are parts", and sometimes the parts aren't all from the same source. It's certainly not uncommon to have books from this era with married covers, wraps or centerfolds. The fact that it's complete is the important thing...

13 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't think the married cover came into play for the grade. He stated the centerfold was detached.

Correct it was just the centerfold and not the cover.  I have looked at the notes and that is all it gives me.

I am really perplexed on this one and am actually thinking of cracking it to get a better look.

54 minutes ago, SSkufan said:

Correct it was just the centerfold and not the cover.  I have looked at the notes and that is all it gives me.

I am really perplexed on this one and am actually thinking of cracking it to get a better look.

I'm not sure what you would gain by deslabbing it. Not only would you have wasted your money on the submissionsure but you would probably find the centerfold is indeed detached. Now whether it was married from a different book or not, it doesn't really make a difference, not really a big deal. I don't think the reference to married mattered in the grade and I don't think it will affect the valuation of the book should you decide to sell it. It seems to annoy you but I don't think anything will be accomplished by cracking it open.  

31 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm not sure what you would gain by deslabbing it. Not only would you have wasted your money on the submissionsure but you would probably find the centerfold is indeed detached. Now whether it was married from a different book or not, it doesn't really make a difference, not really a big deal. I don't think the reference to married mattered in the grade and I don't think it will affect the valuation of the book should you decide to sell it. It seems to annoy you but I don't think anything will be accomplished by cracking it open.  

Yeah I think it is just annoying that it a back with a married centerfold, when I was almost positive that it wasn't.   Oh well . . . 

I have had this problem with CGC also. My Dad bought comics new and just read them and put them away. I found them and sent them off to CGC because the conditions were great. One came back with the staple had been cleaned/replaced but that's impossible there is ZERO reason for that to happen and my Dad laughed when I told him. He said he read them once and put them away never even reading them again. I called CGC and they told me that 2 of the 3 people who looked at the book thought they were at least cleaned, so they didn't even know 100% but yet they screw me?

On 2/6/2019 at 12:12 PM, SSkufan said:

Yeah I think it is just annoying that it a back with a married centerfold, when I was almost positive that it wasn't.   Oh well . . . 

Please bear in mind that the centerfold is one of the easiest things to marry...that and the cover. And if it's a 1.0, there really isn't much more that needs to be considered...

On 1/3/2020 at 12:33 PM, Vintage Comic Book Exchange said:

I have had this problem with CGC also. My Dad bought comics new and just read them and put them away. I found them and sent them off to CGC because the conditions were great. One came back with the staple had been cleaned/replaced but that's impossible there is ZERO reason for that to happen and my Dad laughed when I told him. He said he read them once and put them away never even reading them again. I called CGC and they told me that 2 of the 3 people who looked at the book thought they were at least cleaned, so they didn't even know 100% but yet they screw me?

Since most vintage books usually have at least some tarnishing to the staples, it immediately arouses suspicion when a vintage book shows up with extremely bright, clean staples. Occasionally there are cases where a book is the real deal and CGC makes an error in judgement. You could always send the book back for re-evaluation, but the results may still be inconclusive...