• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ranking the genres
2 2

57 posts in this topic

I’m not even sure I know all of the niches that folks collect. I’m almost positive that superheroes are number 1.

Not in any order..,yet, but what do collectors collect mostly and down the line? I know there’s cross over books. 

1. Superhero 

2. Pre code horror

3. Westerns

4. Military/war

5. Good Girl Art

6. Teen Humor

7. Cartoon/funnies

8. Classic covers

9. Christmas covers

10. Under water covers

11. Romance

12. Jungle

13. Crime

14. Sci Fi

15. Robots

16. Aliens

17. Skull covers

18. Bondage covers

19. Soti books

20. Photo covers

21. TV/Movie covers

22. Fish in face covers

23. Infinity covers 

24. Flag covers

25. Hitler covers

Edited by Junkdrawer

It may be #3 but I wouldn't have westerns as #3.  And Sci-Fi should be in the list.  Also Jungle and if we get to specific artists, ones like LB Cole cut across genres although I would think his horror would be highest.

Edited by telerites

1 hour ago, telerites said:

It may be #3 but I wouldn't have westerns as #3.  And Sci-Fi should be in the list.  Also Jungle and if we get to specific artists, ones like LB Cole cut across genres although I would think his horror would be highest.

The list isn’t yet in any order with the exception of superheroes being #1. After that I just started listing what popped in my head. I’ve edited to add input and quite possibly and hopefully we can put this in some sort of order, 

Just now, Junkdrawer said:

The list isn’t yet in any order with the exception of superheroes being #1. After that I just started listing what popped in my head. I’ve edited to add input and quite possibly and hopefully we can put this in some sort of order, 

Girls in red should get there own genre :headbang:

Once you get past the superhero keys, nearly everything in demand is cover oriented, regardless of genre: Classic covers, GGA/headlight covers, bondage covers, violent covers, Covers by hot artists, villain covers, WW2 covers, themed covers, like Hitler, skulls, robots, flags, etc., even just well drawn covers with nice color and composition. If it's not the cover, then it's genuine scarcity, or early appearances by Superman and Batman. Content has it's fans, generally for the art or particularly wild stories, or just a lot of violence, but that's secondary.

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

funny animals always in dead last 100 games out of first place

Hooboy! Wait'll @sagii and @Sqeggs see this! I predict: :sumo:

Seriously, I'd personally much rather funny animals than most westerns. The only westerns I'm interested in are driven by reasons other than the genre itself -- eg Bobby Benson 14, Tim Holt 30, etc. Funny animals ain't the cellar dwellers in my league. (We might be quibbling over a half game in the standings, but...(shrug))

There are still funny animals keys that people want that don't necessarily have appeal due to another genre, just on their own, such as FC 178, Scooby Doo 1 etc. If you want to argue that ducks are a genre all their own, I can totally get on board with that too.

2 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Seriously, I'd personally much rather funny animals than most westerns. The only westerns I'm interested in are driven by reasons other than the genre itself -- eg Bobby Benson 14, Tim Holt 30, etc. Funny animals ain't the cellar dwellers in my league. (We might be quibbling over a half game in the standings, but...(shrug))

There are still funny animals keys that people want that don't necessarily have appeal due to another genre, just on their own, such as FC 178, Scooby Doo 1 etc. If you want to argue that ducks are a genre all their own, I can totally get on board with that too.

i agree that funny animals have a slight lead over westerns lol heck i never even heard of that Wakely guy lol 

im just giving @Sqeggs another chance to post his super sweet  Peter Panda #5 !!!

4 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

...I would rank Funny Animal over Western (and Jungle and Crime - which are just/still 'heating up' imho). 

While most of the Funny Animal keys 'foundation' is built on Duck books (can't think of a Western, Crime or Jungle title with a more devoted fan base than that) there are your Felix people, your Tom and Jerry people, your Pogo people (and people who like a certain Wabblt and his cohorts :wink: )

While most are not heavily contested during auctions (Duck books, early and or high grade Warner Bros, and a few other excluded) i think Funny Animal has it's place, but certainly has room to grow. 

Perhaps the title is off a bit now that I think about it because while people seek out skull covers, it’s just not a genre. I guess the thought fathoming was more or less how many rabbit holes there are that collectors can venture down. We don’t all collect alike, but we all collect.