• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ranking the genres
2 2

57 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Whatever you do just don't lump Horror and Sci-Fi together... god I get so tired of scrolling through hundreds of horror books to try and find my sci-fi. Sure there are like 3 books that overlap the genres, but that's no excuse!

One of the vintage movie poster sites I go to breaks out posters in several genres.  One thing I like is they do have horror/sci-i together because I bid on both but they also break them out so the posters are categorized by their specific genre as well. 

30 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Pre-hero (e.g, pre-Batman Detective, early More Fun, pre-Sandman Adventure, Centaurs/Chester’s, etc.).

African-American theme (e.g., Negro Heroes).

Giveaways

You bring up a great addition.  A reasonable definition of a genre should include a clear distinction in content as well as the numbers to justify its inclusion.  By any standard giveaways would qualify as its own genre.  The reason it almost always gets lumped into "Other" is because while the publishing numbers were certainly there, the existing numbers aren't.  What was free, wasn't saved.

A shame, that.  What the world needs today is perhaps less Spidey, and more Manuel Pacifico - Tuna Fisherman!

manuelpacificof100_zpse7t2ixgq.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

46 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

You bring up a great addition.  A reasonable definition of a genre should include a clear distinction in content as well as the numbers to justify its inclusion.  By any standard giveaways would qualify as its own genre.  The reason it almost always gets lumped into "Other" is because while the publishing numbers were certainly there, the existing numbers aren't.  What was free, wasn't saved.

A shame, that.  What the world needs today is perhaps less Spidey, and more Manuel Pacifico - Tuna Fisherman!

Was this sponsored by the Breast O'Chicken tuna brand?

2 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Manuel...one of the original Esoteric comics described in the 70s...:cloud9:

33 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

It's from an old price guide ad from Collector's Assemble...I think it's funny...in fact, probably the best satire ad of collectors I've ever seen...

img501.jpg

These are great! They look so specific I’m thinking they were caricatures of specific (dealers/collectors?). The woman cracks me up! lol

Edited by Jayman

10 minutes ago, Jayman said:

These are great! They look so specific I’m thinking they were caricatures of specific (dealers/collectors?). The woman cracks me up! lol

The dealer was Marnin Rosenberg.  Whatever happened to him?  Is he a boardie?

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

The dealer was Marnin Rosenberg.  Whatever happened to him?  Is he a boardie?

29 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Sorry,don’t know. Anyone else?

He sold or consigned his remaining books to Bret at Qualitycomix, didn't he?  I bought some Detroit Trolleys from him when his own website collectorsassemble.com,  I should still have some of those COAs which were graded by Susan Cicconi.  I may have bought some Bethlehems from him as well.

I enjoyed dealing with him. I do not know if he is still involved in the hobby or not.  Someone here should know.  I thought too he had some partnership with Bill Hughes.  I used to buy quite a bit from him as well.  I think his website is still up but hasn't been updated in years and most if not all books are sold.  He was selling on Ebay but not sure if he still does either.

Speaking of old dealers I bought - one is now and has been with HA for some time.  He was really good to work with also.  He is a Senior Vice President.  His website was nearmint.com, I believe.  Ed Jaster.

2 hours ago, telerites said:

He sold or consigned his remaining books to Bret at Qualitycomix, didn't he?  I bought some Detroit Trolleys from him when his own website collectorsassemble.com,  I should still have some of those COAs which were graded by Susan Cicconi.  I may have bought some Bethlehems from him as well.

I enjoyed dealing with him. I do not know if he is still involved in the hobby or not.  Someone here should know.  I thought too he had some partnership with Bill Hughes.  I used to buy quite a bit from him as well.  I think his website is still up but hasn't been updated in years and most if not all books are sold.  He was selling on Ebay but not sure if he still does either.

Speaking of old dealers I bought - one is now and has been with HA for some time.  He was really good to work with also.  He is a Senior Vice President.  His website was nearmint.com, I believe.  Ed Jaster.

I used to see Ed Jaster at the SD Con.  I sold him my Mile High Gang busters #3 which he probably regrets buying.  It sold for less than he paid on HA, but they screwed up the colors on the scan...I think that's what did it...Compare my pic with HAs...They turned the blue into green somehow...:whatthe:

X-DC-GangB3-8.0-MileHigh-$450-1995.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian