• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

our army at war 168 FMV

6 posts in this topic

I'm curious why you say that issue is valuable. My copy is in the original ,mailing sleeve. I have most of the issues from 145 thru 171.. All in very good condition, some in the mailing sleeves .. so a crease might be there on some. thanks.. BTW, my issue 83 is out for grading . also have a nice looking 129

5 hours ago, riverman said:

I'm curious why you say that issue is valuable. My copy is in the original ,mailing sleeve. I have most of the issues from 145 thru 171.. All in very good condition, some in the mailing sleeves .. so a crease might be there on some. thanks.. BTW, my issue 83 is out for grading . also have a nice looking 129

It's valuable because for some fans, comic book reality trumps actual reality. 

OAAW #168 features a story where Sgt. Rock interacts a handful of times with a mysterious figure who saves the day without ever revealing his appearance or identity. Rock calls him the Unknown Soldier. The story is a cool tribute to the idea of the unknown soldier. 

Four years later, DC introduced the character Unknown Soldier in Star-Spangled War Stories #151.

This character also didn't reveal his true face, which was covered by bandages. So, in SSWS #157, they reprinted OAAW #168 with a new frame story featuring Sgt. Rock, retconning that earlier story as being an appearance of the character Unknown Soldier.

It worked really seamlessly, but it's still a retcon, period. Still, thanks to the mind-warping powers of "continuity," some people consider OAAW #168 to be the first appearance of the Unknown Soldier. 

It's not. 

But there's the answer! The price of OAAW #168 is more expensive than the issues around it because it's a 1966 appearance of a character who wasn't created until 1970. 

34 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

It's valuable because for some fans, comic book reality trumps actual reality. 

OAAW #168 features a story where Sgt. Rock interacts a handful of times with a mysterious figure who saves the day without ever revealing his appearance or identity. Rock calls him the Unknown Soldier. The story is a cool tribute to the idea of the unknown soldier. 

Four years later, DC introduced the character Unknown Soldier in Star-Spangled War Stories #151.

This character also didn't reveal his true face, which was covered by bandages. So, in SSWS #157, they reprinted OAAW #168 with a new frame story featuring Sgt. Rock, retconning that earlier story as being an appearance of the character Unknown Soldier.

It worked really seamlessly, but it's still a retcon, period. Still, thanks to the mind-warping powers of "continuity," some people consider OAAW #168 to be the first appearance of the Unknown Soldier. 

It's not. 

But there's the answer! The price of OAAW #168 is more expensive than the issues around it because it's a 1966 appearance of a character who wasn't created until 1970. 

It's a retcon by the creator- an extremely significant fact. That's a hell of a difference between just anyone forty or fifty years later deciding to do a retcon and having no creative connection. The notion that "warping powers of continuity" is also inapplicable in this case. The title of the story on the cover of Our Army at War 168 is "I knew the Unknown Soldier" not "I knew an Unknown Soldier." The fact is that the Unknown Soldier's alter ego is just that, unknown - a attribute exclusive to this great DC war creation. The answer as to Our Army at War 168's value is attributed to what I mentioned and to the fact that the general rules in comic book history have many exceptions- it's one of the things that makes this hobby great. For any DC war collector, especially those collecting the Soldier, it's best to have a copy of Our Army at War 168 and Star Spangled War Stories 151. War classics that I'm sure we will someday be reading about in Overstreet's awesome War Report. 

As far as value and my suggestion to the OP is put the book up for auction if you want to see what it's valued at should you decide not to take the suggestion made earlier by another boardie. This book is valuable in the higher grades 9.4and above on account of the black cover and relative scarcity in 9.4 or above.

It's books like OAAW 168 and OAAW 83 that make the war genre special and reminds us the different paths creators take to create the characters we love.(thumbsu 

-john 

Edited by bronze johnny