• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grab bags
1 1

17 posts in this topic

If you want assorted junk for low prices, nearly any dealer would be happy to help you. You could probably even get more specific titles/characters/publishers/whatever, if that's what you wanted.

Does beg the question. Why is no one on here running a grab bag sorta thing? With a legit chance to win something good? With say 1000 books and a who's won what type of list so we can see what's gone and what's still there. Charge $5 per book or $15 for three. That's five grand, have your top book be worth a grand or something, have ten in the 50-100 range and 50 in the 25 range... Let the rest be drek or low grade silver and bronze.

I would go for it, the chances would be slim, but the chance would be there at least, which it is just not with an eBay grab-bag. No one cares about wasting $5-25 a month so no one loses but just imagine winning something like an Action #252 for your $5... I'd definitely have a go at the end of each month

I had a lot of fun putting together mystery boxes. I sold dozens, including two $500 packages. I had one complaint.  People enjoyed them. The loudest complaints seemed to come from a vocal minority concerned about possible ripoffs rather than any real ones. Once upon a time, this place and the marketplace thrived.  Now it's ridiculously over moderated and far too many " buyers" have an exaggerated sense of entitlement.

I will happily assemble boxes for anyone who wants one and everything I ever sell is satisfaction guaranteed.

35 minutes ago, Dan82 said:

Does beg the question. Why is no one on here running a grab bag sorta thing? With a legit chance to win something good? With say 1000 books and a who's won what type of list so we can see what's gone and what's still there. Charge $5 per book or $15 for three. That's five grand, have your top book be worth a grand or something, have ten in the 50-100 range and 50 in the 25 range... Let the rest be drek or low grade silver and bronze.

I would go for it, the chances would be slim, but the chance would be there at least, which it is just not with an eBay grab-bag. No one cares about wasting $5-25 a month so no one loses but just imagine winning something like an Action #252 for your $5... I'd definitely have a go at the end of each month

34 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I had a lot of fun putting together mystery boxes. I sold dozens, including two $500 packages. I had one complaint.  People enjoyed them. The loudest complaints seemed to come from a vocal minority concerned about possible ripoffs rather than any real ones. Once upon a time, this place and the marketplace thrived.  Now it's ridiculously over moderated and far too many " buyers" have an exaggerated sense of entitlement.

I will happily assemble boxes for anyone who wants one and everything I ever sell is satisfaction guaranteed.

Without getting into what should/should not be allowed to be sold on the boards, I think these are the OP is talking about something different than a mystery box.  I think the OP is talking about some sort of lottery thing, where there is a chance of winning a particular book (or value of book).  I would argue that both the actual laws regarding lotteries are much stricter and the slopes much more slippery.

Also, while it is true that mystery boxes were once a thriving part of a thriving marketplace, I would say the migration to the new format was an infinitely bigger factor in diminishing the marketplace than the banning of mystery boxes (although from what I remember, they seemed generally to be popular). 

I definitely would never trust an eBay grab bag auction. At least none that I've ever seen. Now and then as a goof I'll message one of those sellers asking what checks and balances there are to keep them honest and actually include the giant keys from the pics in the blind bags. None of them ever have a good answer, other than to blindly trust them. I'd rather buy a CGC 4.0 AF15 FOR $5K from a Russian seller with 0 feedback. One of these times it will pan out...😥

8 hours ago, Dan82 said:

to answer your question specifically, it is not allowed on these boards. You have to state exactly what is for sale and a price. (Then there are lottery laws and such but that point is moot.)

9 hours ago, shadroch said:

I will happily assemble boxes for anyone who wants one

Hey shadroch if you'd be interested in putting together about $50 worth of readers from any era I'd be interested.  Some 'you gotta read this' books.  Any readable condition.  If that's too small of a deal to mess with I understand. 

I'm a comic history buff who is mostly focused on the artwork.  I devour reprints but I enjoy reader copies too.  Shipping in the USA.  PayPal.  Would never complain about a grab bag of readers.  PM me if interested. 

21 minutes ago, Bird said:

to answer your question specifically, it is not allowed on these boards. You have to state exactly what is for sale and a price. (Then there are lottery laws and such but that point is moot.)

I see. What if the 1000 books were all listed? What if you just say it's $5 per book and your book is chosen at random, what then?

I did consider doing this exact same thing on eBay. The only downside I see is that if your big book goes in the first 100 then it will make it harder to sell the rest, and you'd need to sell them all to make it work. That and you might get negative feedback when at the other end your West Coast Avengers #37 is purchased and returned by someone like BITCOINSWAMI :roflmao:

I'm thinking it could work, that's all. They are all over eBay and all they get is drek! People buy them anyway. There is zero chance anyone who ever buys a grab bag gets anything like a key book. They get Web of Spider-Man or some other rubbish... One that was legit would be great for everyone concerned. I could pull out 400 books, charge 12.50 each sell all 400 and have 5k. If your top book is something like a nice giant size X-Men #1 or similar and the cost off all of them together is 3k or so then it's worth doing.

9 minutes ago, Dan82 said:

I see. What if the 1000 books were all listed? What if you just say it's $5 per book and your book is chosen at random, what then?

I did consider doing this exact same thing on eBay. The only downside I see is that if your big book goes in the first 100 then it will make it harder to sell the rest, and you'd need to sell them all to make it work. That and you might get negative feedback when at the other end your West Coast Avengers #37 is purchased and returned by someone like BITCOINSWAMI :roflmao:

I'm thinking it could work, that's all. They are all over eBay and all they get is drek! People buy them anyway. There is zero chance anyone who ever buys a grab bag gets anything like a key book. They get Web of Spider-Man or some other rubbish... One that was legit would be great for everyone concerned. I could pull out 400 books, charge 12.50 each sell all 400 and have 5k. If your top book is something like a nice giant size X-Men #1 or similar and the cost off all of them together is 3k or so then it's worth doing.

It’s just not allowed here the buyer has to know exactly what they’re getting for their money

This place is like the hunger games And the people who don’t get something they feel is fair will get the pitchforks and  the torches out pretty quickly

I tried a $50 dollar grab bag on ebay a year ago. There was a lot of positive feedback so I gave it a shot. I was happy with what I got. I then went up to the $100 dollar grab bag from the same seller and pretty much took it in the rear. Values for the books I got were greatly exaggerated. One of the best books I got had a missing page. Couldn't complain since I agreed not to leave negative feedback if I was dissatisfied. If the one book had been complete all would have been great. I guess the guy didn't check thru the book before throwing it in a grab bag. Made a $50 dollar book worthless. Live and learn.

On 2/5/2019 at 9:08 PM, Dan82 said:

you most certainly don't want buyers like swarmy! :roflmao:

On 2/5/2019 at 6:19 PM, Bird said:

It’s just not allowed here the buyer has to know exactly what they’re getting for their money

This place is like the hunger games And the people who don’t get something they feel is fair will get the pitchforks and  the torches out pretty quickly

In all seriousness, why does the buyer have to know exactly what they are buying?  Shouldn't it be up to the buyer to decide that? If someone is willing to buy a mystery box, I don't understand the animosity it brings out in others. I sent great things in my boxes- ASM 14,  original art, A Sandman statue,  and if satisfied customers want to buy them, I really don't see the problem.  They don't appeal to everyone but I had several repeat buyers in the short time I did them. If a seller tries to take advantage of this place, we unleash the kav.

7 hours ago, shadroch said:

In all seriousness, why does the buyer have to know exactly what they are buying?  Shouldn't it be up to the buyer to decide that? If someone is willing to buy a mystery box, I don't understand the animosity it brings out in others. I sent great things in my boxes- ASM 14,  original art, A Sandman statue,  and if satisfied customers want to buy them, I really don't see the problem.  They don't appeal to everyone but I had several repeat buyers in the short time I did them. If a seller tries to take advantage of this place, we unleash the kav.

don't ask me for the answer, I was just relaying the rules here for the noob