• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men 1, a risky buy?
1 1

47 posts in this topic

Sounds crazy, right? But it seems like this book has exploded in value in recent times, and It seems like Disney is to blame? Are we now seeing a bubble for what used to be "secure" books/buys?

11 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Nearly everything is risky in this insane market.

Just makes me wonder how sustainable it is. I mean, aside from WW3, I really can't think of anything that would cause this "bubble" to burst, and it's incredibly difficult to tell how artificial the growth is. 

Disney could easily launch the X keys into values that no one has ever witnessed. In fact, I think this is just the beginning of the beginning.

We have to keep in mind, anything can be viewed as a bubble.

Reality is, comics are not a commodity, as much as you want it to be.

Very technically speaking, comics (and any collectibles for that matter) are basically useless junk with some cool history to it.

But if the comic book industry is alive and well, X-Men 1 is as safe a bet as any book.

If WW3 does happen, I think the value of my X-Men 1 is the last thing I'm worried about, right?

2 hours ago, Darkowl said:

Just makes me wonder how sustainable it is. I mean, aside from WW3, I really can't think of anything that would cause this "bubble" to burst, and it's incredibly difficult to tell how artificial the growth is. 

Disney could easily launch the X keys into values that no one has ever witnessed. In fact, I think this is just the beginning of the beginning.

I have Wonder Woman 3 - it's a great book, and I love it!  

(But it's GA, not SA)

:wink:

I always compare X-men 1 to ASM 1. If that book can hit the prices it has, then X-men can easily top it. ASM 1 is not a first appearance yet kills the market. The CGC census shows roughly the same amount of copies graded as X-men 1 (X1 has slightly more 4300 vs 3800).

Agree with others that X-Men 1 has been undervalued for a long time. It's the first appearance of many huge characters, one of Marvel's most recognizable teams, and a long lasting villian. Not to mention the introduction of mutants into the comic world (any mutant aliens from the 50s aside). I don't see it taking a nose dive from where it's at now. If anything it will continue to climb for a while before eventually getting too crazy and peaking and then will drop off a little. But I can't imagine it dropping below where it's at now. And I've never been wrong about anything in my entire life 🤨

52 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

Agree with others that X-Men 1 has been undervalued for a long time. It's the first appearance of many huge characters, one of Marvel's most recognizable teams, and a long lasting villian. Not to mention the introduction of mutants into the comic world (any mutant aliens from the 50s aside). I don't see it taking a nose dive from where it's at now. If anything it will continue to climb for a while before eventually getting too crazy and peaking and then will drop off a little. But I can't imagine it dropping below where it's at now. And I've never been wrong about anything in my entire life 🤨

I agree too.....if X-Men #1 collapses in price, then a mess ton of other dominos will fall......

ditto on all the sentiments here. i'm biased cause i just got my second copy, but i agree that it feels risky to buy a book, or a stock, when it's at its all time high price. hulk 181 certainly had a bit of a coming back to reality after it's stellar explosion in spring/ summer, but it's still got very strong value and demand in spite of being lower than it's summer/ fall peak last year. 

as the xmen are an already proven hot property, and my all time fave as a kid, i have to hope that they'll continue to be popular going forward. and as many have said, it has a lot of room to grow compared to other keys. 

I have low expectations for the X-Men movie....getting pushed back a few months is probably a bad sign.  At the current prices, a small drop in % value can tie up your dollars for years. 

Long term I agree - it's still a great investment.  But IMO too risky for a 2-3 year window, assuming we are at an all time high in both economy and pre-movie hype.

It seems like everything becomes the next bubble as soon as a book rises. The X-Men have a new life with the MCU after disney having gotten the rights back from Fox. It’s safe to say that for now this book will be a hot commodity in the somewhat near future. Maybe someday it will level off, but no reason to think it will go anywhere but up with new X-Men movies on the horizon and potentially even introductions into the current MCU universe. Just sit back and enjoy your X-Men 1’s ya’ll. No need to worry here just yet. 😉

Edited by LDarkseid1

14 hours ago, texmurphy2099 said:

either this or asm 1 are next on my list.  I sold a 4.0 x men 1 about a year ago and i really should have kept it

That's exactly how I feel about the 2.0 I sold a few years back. Only paid 1K for it. Now they sell for 3k.

I think Ed Piskor's X-Men Grand Design is going to bring a different species of comic lovers to the Marvel Universe and the X-men in particular.  It's another ingredient that adds to a sustainable fan base.  Maybe not a huge addition like a movie but Piskor's fans are seriously into comics and I think that makes what he is doing very significant.

I have been having fun watching his Cartoonist Kayfabe on YouTube with Jim Rugg.

I made this post in the AF#15 thread but it still applies more to X-Men #1 than anything else.

We are in a cyclical speculator selling to speculator pattern.  My problem with comics as investments is that unlike the stock market, you can't short them when they are overvalued.  Think a Hulk 181 in 9.4 isn't worth $10000?  Too bad, you can't do anything about it.  Nobody will sell at a loss so there is an endless cycle of price increases.  
The group of speculators who banked on Disney buying fox hit their gold mine, they have to sell to the next group of speculators willing to buy that are hoping for some huge movie related news which people are already expecting.  Who will those speculators sell to?  A new group of speculators that didn't see fantastic four or x-men MCU movies coming?  With each cycle the pie shrinks more and more as I think the MCU is pretty much reached full exposure to the public at this point.  I don't think it can continue forever but we'll see I guess.  Based on my experience in stocks the best time to sell is when the market has reached a level of euphoric optimism.