• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 Chinese New Year (of the PIG)

60 posts in this topic

On 2/5/2019 at 9:36 PM, BitterOldMan said:

This is how it is really written.  Read top to bottom.  Many jook-sing forum members?

banner.jpg.5b7493bef5320903d60022b672d109b4.jpg

Sorry, I only speak poor Guangdong wah. Some kung hei fat choi Capt Marvel and Avengers: End Game one sheet posters to celebrate Year of the Pig:

Marvel movie posters in Chinese

I think I've told this story before (but maybe it was long enough ago that people have forgotten it! :))

Being a Barks fan, I've long (and I mean really long) had FC 48 on my radar.  Sometime in the early 1970s I tried to trade Bob Beerbohm for a copy at the old Comics&Comix store in Berkeley.  Since I was trying to do the deal mostly with mid-grade Marvels on my end, he had the good sense to turn me down.

I missed on a few other copies over the years.  Bought a copy on the boards several years ago, but it had some resto that the seller missed so I had to return it. Finally landed this copy a couple of years ago. 

17 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I think I've told this story before (but maybe it was long enough ago that people have forgotten it! :))

Being a Barks fan, I've long (and I mean really long) had FC 48 on my radar.  Sometime in the early 1970s I tried to trade Bob Beerbohm for a copy at the old Comics&Comix store in Berkeley.  Since I was trying to do the deal mostly with mid-grade Marvels on my end, he had the good sense to turn me down.

I missed on a few other copies over the years.  Bought a copy on the boards several years ago, but it had some resto that the seller missed so I had to return it. Finally landed this copy a couple of years ago. 

I was one of the customers competing with you for Barks books back then.  I did buy a Four Color 79, Riddle of the Red Hat, from Beerbohm, which I later traded to Yosemite Sam Campbell for one of my two copies of Four Color 9 Pirate Gold.  Unfortunately, my copies of Four Color 9 have not appreciated in value. :frown:

17 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

I was one of the customers competing with you for Barks books back then.  I did buy a Four Color 79, Riddle of the Red Hat, from Beerbohm, which I later traded to Yosemite Sam Campbell for one of my two copies of Four Color 9 Pirate Gold.  Unfortunately, my copies of Four Color 9 have not appreciated in value. :frown:

Kind of funny that FC 9 isn't seen as being a big a key as it was years ago.  Still a wonderful book to have.  I've never owned a copy. 

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Barks's only PP.

lf_zpshkz6ry0o.JPG

Great story ( and book)!

Barks also did a Looney Tunes cover for an Overstreet edition years back.

Can you imagine if there was an appearance on that cover or in the pages of this book by Daffy? 

....while we're on the subject, can't recall seeing this in a particular Thread..just can't put my finger on it ...hm