• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trade Hulk #181 for Silver Age Key?
2 2

21 posts in this topic

I have an Incredible Hulk #181 in CGC 5.0 grade. I have been thinking about trying to trade for a lower grade copy of X-Men #1, Tales of Suspense #39, Strange Tales #110, Tales to Astonish #27, or Journey Into Mystery #83.

By looking at GPA, I feel I could get X-Men #1 in CGC 1.8, Tales of Suspense #39 in CGC 1.8, Strange Tales #110 in CGC 5.5, Tales to Astonish #27 in CGC 4.5, and Journey Into Mystery #83 in CGC 1.8. I would be willing to pay some extra cash to get a slightly higher grade.

I know that Incredible Hulk #181 is one of the most desirable of the Bronze Age keys, and I know that it introduces an iconic Marvel character, Wolverine. I do think that the X-Men, Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, and Thor are far more iconic characters than Wolverine.

Does this stupid to anyone? If it doesn't, is this something you might consider doing?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Joe Ankenbauer

I personally as a collector would like to have any of The books you mentioned over an extra Hulk 181....

buuuut....if your talking Just Value....The Hulk 181 is probably the better investment.

every time I stumble on to Hulk 181's for sale, it astonishes me how hot that book is and the prices it goes for.

X-Men #1, Tales of Suspense #39, Strange Tales #110, Tales to Astonish #27, or Journey Into Mystery #83.

for me Personally ^ All of these books feel bigger than A Hulk 181

I have a Hulk 181, I love it...but If I had an extra HULK 181, I would trade it for any of these in a heartbeat.

but again thats because I Would KEEP it forever and never consider selling it...

It probably wouldnt be the best move Value/Business wise, but if your like me and never intend on selling your personal collection.

I would trade a double for one of These Monster KEYS in a second.

but I also must admit, I do not think I would do the same if I were looking to sell...I'd rather have 2 HULK 181s, IMO they would be the better investment

It’s a tough call.  I prefer SA over BA as a general rule.  But Hulk 181 is the clear “King of the Bronze Age”.  

Both are easily replaceable (if you have the money).  Bronze is easier than Silver .   And  X1 has more room to grow. 

48 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I don’t doubt this, but it’s always seemed weird to me. I think Giant Size X-Men #1 is twice as significant.

It’s a big book, for sure.  But, it’s clear, collectors prize Wolverine’s 1st app over the “New Team”. 

19 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I have an Incredible Hulk #181 in CGC 5.0 grade. I have been thinking about trying to trade for a lower grade copy of X-Men #1, Tales of Suspense #39, Strange Tales #110, Tales to Astonish #27, or Journey Into Mystery #83.

By looking at GPA, I feel I could get X-Men #1 in CGC 1.8, Tales of Suspense #39 in CGC 1.8, Strange Tales #110 in CGC 5.5, Tales to Astonish #27 in CGC 4.5, and Journey Into Mystery #83 in CGC 1.8. I would be willing to pay some extra cash to get a slightly higher grade.

I know that Incredible Hulk #181 is one of the most desirable of the Bronze Age keys, and I know that it introduces an iconic Marvel character, Wolverine. I do think that the X-Men, Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, and Thor are far more iconic characters than Wolverine.

Does this stupid to anyone? If it doesn't, is this something you might consider doing?

Joe Ankenbauer

Collecting the books that you most enjoy owning and having in your collection can never be a bad thing to do.  As for the 'investment' implications, if comics are a hobby supported by your disposable income, then they don't matter.

Do you have any other books you might consider selling to get one of the big SA keys? I would personally not be able to give up my hulk 181 to get those but that’s because wolverine is one of my top 3 favs. 

I also am not so sure those characters mentioned are more iconic than wolverine...I would only put Spider-Man above him character wise in marvel with iron man being the closest of those mentioned. 

I guess You gotta collect em all :) 

When I was a kid we traded comic books (and baseball cards) all the time.

As a grown up (physically only) collector that is into completing runs I would not trade any book I have for another of "equal: value because I would never be able to replace the book I traded so there is actually nothing to gain.

Right now I have a Raw FN/VF 7.0 Incredible Hulk 181 but do not own original copies of X-Men 1 (have MME), JIM 83 (Have GRR) or TOS 39 (Have MME) and I am fine with that, although #1's are Great To Have.

As already stated it all depends on what your collecting goals are...

Do you collect as an investment or collect for the fun/joy of collecting?

It's a tough call and I am feeling anxiety just thinking about it.:S  O.o

Did almost the exact same trade. IH 5.5 for ST 110 5.0. They are valued approximately the same now. It’s only because I have an 181 7.0, otherwise  I probably would’ve held on to the 5.5. Always wanted that ST 110 which I think is undervalued. Just telling you what I did.

I look at it this way, if the book is for you and the 181 doesn't mean as much to you, then make the trade. 181's are all over the place, the others are harder to get even in a lower grade. The problem I see with this, is that getting someone willing to make the trade. 

On 2/7/2019 at 3:00 PM, Math Teacher said:

Joe Ankenbauer

I think that's definitely a personal decision. It really depends how much you like Wolverine versus the other characters. If you like one of the Silver age heroes better I would go for them instead. 

On 2/7/2019 at 3:00 PM, Math Teacher said:

Joe Ankenbauer

Hard to say 

at the end of the day it’s what character you like more. 
I think Wolverine is > to Dr Strange or Antman.

And I think trading a 5 for a 1.8 is not something I would do.

maybe your idea of trading it and put in some extra to cash to get a 3 or 3.5 of one of those books makes more sense?

Either way haveing a IH 181 5.0 is a good thing!

good luck! Let us know what you decide 

On 2/7/2019 at 1:00 PM, Math Teacher said:

Joe Ankenbauer

If you are looking at it as an investment, I'd hold the Hulk. 

If you want to make profit, focus on what potential buyers want, not what you like

If you want the book with your favorite character, that is entirely up to your tastes.

12 hours ago, KCOComics said:

let's just ask... 

Okay, I asked . . . a slightly different question.  Trusting that Math Teacher was accurate when he identified the books/grades that he could have traded for an IH181 5.0 back in Feb 2019, you get interesing "WHAT IF" results.   That IH181 5.0 is about $5K today.  Trading for TTA27 in 4.5 ($3K today) and ST110 in 5.5 ($4K) would have underperformed a bit, trading for JIM83 in 1.8 or a TOS29 in 1.8 would have been a wash ($5K), and trading for an XM1 1.8 would have doubled the pot ($10K).   

Since IH181 and XM1 are kinda sorta related, this suggests that XM1 was undervalued for a long time and has been playing catch up of late (as many boardies suspected).  

This also suggests, like some boardies suspected, that TTA27 and ST110 remain undervalued (relative to JIM83, TOS39, and of course XM1) despite the recent moderate appreciation of TTA27 and the even stronger recent appreciation of ST110.    

35 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Okay, I asked . . . a slightly different question.  Trusting that Math Teacher was accurate when he identified the books/grades that he could have traded for an IH181 5.0 back in Feb 2019, you get interesing "WHAT IF" results.   That IH181 5.0 is about $5K today.  Trading for TTA27 in 4.5 ($3K today) and ST110 in 5.5 ($4K) would have underperformed a bit, trading for JIM83 in 1.8 or a TOS29 in 1.8 would have been a wash ($5K), and trading for an XM1 1.8 would have doubled the pot ($10K).   

Since IH181 and XM1 are kinda sorta related, this suggests that XM1 was undervalued for a long time and has been playing catch up of late (as many boardies suspected).  

This also suggests, like some boardies suspected, that TTA27 and ST110 remain undervalued (relative to JIM83, TOS39, and of course XM1) despite the recent moderate appreciation of TTA27 and the even stronger recent appreciation of ST110.    

Got it, I Missed that you changed the question a bit. 

Armed with the information we have today, X1 would have been the book to go for.  But not many people saw the X1 run up coming. 

I still think the 181 is a better long term investment than an equivalent TTA27 or ST110. I also think it's better  than a low grade TOS39 or JIM83.