• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RESOLUTION! Guess the Grade! Tales of Suspense 52

29 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

So with your help this will take place in a couple parts.  I just purchased this today and still waiting for delivery but I will submit the two pictures I have of the book.

After everyone guesses the current grade I will share what I was told by the seller what they graded it as, and then the next step will be to see if the group thinks a press will help it before I get it graded.

And after all that I will do an unveiling once it comes back from CGC.

As always thanks so much for the support!

AJ

TOS52A.jpg

TOS52B.jpg

TOSA.jpg

TOS52B.jpg

Edited by AJCohen
photo correction

7 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Hey AJ, pretty book. Is there some color touch to the left of the 52?

Thanks!  There should not be.  It was purchased through a reputable company and advertised without restoration.

Edited by AJCohen

45 minutes ago, AJCohen said:

Thanks!  There should not be.  It was purchased through a reputable company and advertised without restoration.

Fair enough. But even the good guys miss one now and then! Definitely give that area a close look before submitting.

44 minutes ago, thewritestuff said:

It looks great. That said, I am not knowledgeable in color touch/trimming but I definitely noticed something odd with the color, too. The top edge looks a bit strange as well.

5 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Fair enough. But even the good guys miss one now and then! Definitely give that area a close look before submitting.

Thanks guys. I definitely will.  Maybe this should be titled restored or not? :ohnoez: 

Edited by AJCohen

First off, I think the book has already been pressed. It sure looks like it to me. I believe the Back Cover has already been cleaned also. I'm puzzled by the top of the back cover. If those are stains, the grade will be problematic. It almost looks like damage from an over hydration before a press. I'm sorry but I also think that is a color touch. It seems pretty obvious. TOS 52 is such a cool book to own but I would be nervous about this copy. Sorry.

16 hours ago, Point Five said:

Hey AJ, pretty book. Is there some color touch to the left of the 52?

I see what you are talking about but I think it might be a mylar "adhering" to the book and causing something similar to the Newton Ring effect. If the book isn't in a mylar, then I'd be worried about that spot too.

11 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

First off, I think the book has already been pressed. It sure looks like it to me. I believe the Back Cover has already been cleaned also. I'm puzzled by the top of the back cover. If those are stains, the grade will be problematic. It almost looks like damage from an over hydration before a press. I'm sorry but I also think that is a color touch. It seems pretty obvious. TOS 52 is such a cool book to own but I would be nervous about this copy. Sorry.

What makes you think it's pressed? Not saying you're wrong, it's the kind of book that would be expensive enough to press even if you aren't slabbing it. I'm just curious what you're seeing that might be a sign of pressing.

3 hours ago, LordRahl said:

I see what you are talking about but I think it might be a mylar "adhering" to the book and causing something similar to the Newton Ring effect. If the book isn't in a mylar, then I'd be worried about that spot too.

That's a good theory about the mylar 'adhering' to the book. It's possible that is what's going on. However, the Newton Ring effect happens from two plastic surfaces touching. In this case it's just the mylar touching the book. I don't think I ever saw a mylar touching the book give a Newton effect. (shrug) 

Regarding pressing. The book looks very flat, the spine looks very flat, and the upper right corner has that 'look' we often see nowadays on pressed books. I don't mean the fanning of the pages, I mean the cover corner alignment. Also, the Back cover looks very clean, very white suggesting a possible dry clean. Please note I did say I 'think' the book was pressed, and I do, but I may be wrong. I don't think collectors realize that nowadays raw books are often pressed. This is a nice looking book. This is a key book, tough to find in high grade. I find it difficult to believe a book like this was not pressed and never graded, especially coming from a dealer. 

5 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

That's a good theory about the mylar 'adhering' to the book. It's possible that is what's going on. However, the Newton Ring effect happens from two plastic surfaces touching. In this case it's just the mylar touching the book. I don't think I ever saw a mylar touching the book give a Newton effect. (shrug) 

Regarding pressing. The book looks very flat, the spine looks very flat, and the upper right corner has that 'look' we often see nowadays on pressed books. I don't mean the fanning of the pages, I mean the cover corner alignment. Also, the Back cover looks very clean, very white suggesting a possible dry clean. Please note I did say I 'think' the book was pressed, and I do, but I may be wrong. I don't think collectors realize that nowadays raw books are often pressed. This is a nice looking book. This is a key book, tough to find in high grade. I find it difficult to believe a book like this was not pressed and never graded, especially coming from a dealer. 

Yes, what he said.😆