• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RESOLUTION! Guess the Grade! Tales of Suspense 52

29 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

That's a good theory about the mylar 'adhering' to the book. It's possible that is what's going on. However, the Newton Ring effect happens from two plastic surfaces touching. In this case it's just the mylar touching the book. I don't think I ever saw a mylar touching the book give a Newton effect. (shrug) 

Regarding pressing. The book looks very flat, the spine looks very flat, and the upper right corner has that 'look' we often see nowadays on pressed books. I don't mean the fanning of the pages, I mean the cover corner alignment. Also, the Back cover looks very clean, very white suggesting a possible dry clean. Please note I did say I 'think' the book was pressed, and I do, but I may be wrong. I don't think collectors realize that nowadays raw books are often pressed. This is a nice looking book. This is a key book, tough to find in high grade. I find it difficult to believe a book like this was not pressed and never graded, especially coming from a dealer. 

You're right. I was thinking that I know I've seen that effect on some of my raw books but now that I think about it, it's probably the ones where I have the book in a mylite and then the mylite is going into a mylar with a fullback. It's just odd looking color touch if that's what it is.

Everyone thanks for the input. It turns out that the book was restored! It was on Heritage and when I found it I read the description and it did not mention the restoration on the format I was checking (iphone and iPad) see pics below.  Only after everyone said it looked suspicious  I decided to reach out to Heritage comics. I sent them the two photos that are attached below. After that they did say that there was restoration and sent me the page showing it. The problem was that you only were able to see that if you accessed the previous sale and it was at the bottom of the description and I never got to that page. 

Tales of Suspense #52 (Marvel, 1964) Condition: Apparent VF+. Featuring Iron Man. First appearance of the Black Widow. Crimson Dynamo appearance. Watcher backup feature. Jack Kirby cover. Don Heck, Paul Reinman, and Larry Lieber art. Restoration includes color touch. Overstreet 2018 GD 2.0 value = $145; VG 4.0 value = $290; FN 6.0 value = $435; VF 8.0 value = $1,196. 

Long story they were extremely understanding and cancelled the purchase.  So I am back on the hunt for a Tales of Suspense 52!

Bueller? Bueller? :hi:

Thanks again for saving my tail everyone!

F567A290-DBA3-41A6-A57E-7184E5DD23E5.jpeg

0DCED175-642A-4D6F-8DAB-52E7AA3834EE.png

Edited by AJCohen

10 hours ago, AJCohen said:

Everyone thanks for the input. It turns out that the book was restored! It was on Heritage and when I found it I read the description and it did not mention the restoration on the format I was checking (iphone and iPad) see pics below.  Only after everyone said it looked suspicious  I decided to reach out to Heritage comics. I sent them the two photos that are attached below. After that they did say that there was restoration and sent me the page showing it. The problem was that you only were able to see that if you accessed the previous sale and it was at the bottom of the description and I never got to that page. 

Tales of Suspense #52 (Marvel, 1964) Condition: Apparent VF+. Featuring Iron Man. First appearance of the Black Widow. Crimson Dynamo appearance. Watcher backup feature. Jack Kirby cover. Don Heck, Paul Reinman, and Larry Lieber art. Restoration includes color touch. Overstreet 2018 GD 2.0 value = $145; VG 4.0 value = $290; FN 6.0 value = $435; VF 8.0 value = $1,196. 

Long story they were extremely understanding and cancelled the purchase.  So I am back on the hunt for a Tales of Suspense 52!

Bueller? Bueller? :hi:

Thanks again for saving my tail everyone!

Excellent news that Heritage stepped up with the refund. My dealings with them have always been friendly and professional; great to hear you've experienced the same.

In the future, look out for that "Apparent" in a given grade, as it is a flag that there is some degree of restoration going on with the book.

On 2/7/2019 at 6:37 PM, Point Five said:

Hey AJ, pretty book. Is there some color touch to the left of the 52?

On 2/7/2019 at 6:52 PM, thewritestuff said:

It looks great. That said, I am not knowledgeable in color touch/trimming but I definitely noticed something odd with the color, too. The top edge looks a bit strange as well.

On 2/7/2019 at 8:02 PM, The Lions Den said:

Good eye! 

2udj79.gif

;)

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:42 AM, Point Five said:

Excellent news that Heritage stepped up with the refund. My dealings with them have always been friendly and professional; great to hear you've experienced the same.

In the future, look out for that "Apparent" in a given grade, as it is a flag that there is some degree of restoration going on with the book.

Nice job, my friend. Well done!  (worship)