• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Won't Cover Full Insurance Value

25 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Gaard said:

When they ask for the insurance value, we're supposed to put down the value it will have after it's been slabbed? At a grade that we know it'll receive?

It's really a matter of your choice. You can value high, pay more, and risk over insuring, or you can value low, pay less, and risk under insuring.

What you can't do is have it both ways. :)

Me personally, I submit at the lowest possible grade I believe it can get, while paying shipping insurance to CGC based on what I believe they'll be worth.

At minimum, I know I'm well insured for the trip down to FL. And I'm hoping that the savings on fees and shipping will cancel out any mishaps.

Of course, now I feel a lot better knowing that CollectInsure is a backstop.

YMMV. Just my 2 cents. :)

On 2/11/2019 at 10:12 AM, joeypost said:

While your statement is correct 99% of the time, the QC involved with encapsulating the book can have a dramatic impact on the value of the book if the case itself is causing damage. 

Beat me to it, thank you Joey.

20 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Throw it in the comiclink auction  and move on

Lol, yeah YOU have the right attitude about it. :makepoint: 

8 hours ago, Gaard said:

When they ask for the insurance value, we're supposed to put down the value it will have after it's been slabbed? At a grade that we know it'll receive?

I do think most seem to over analyze the situation. When assigning a value for a CGC submission just put the value you are comfortable with, regardless if it's pre grade raw or post grade slabbed. CGC is very lenient about it. They do not nick pick the value, and only occasionally assign a bump. CGC does not pay for the nsurance, you pay. You have to consider that fact when assigning a value you are comfortable with. I've said it before, getting a post grade bump from CGC is a good thing.  Embrace it and enjoy !