• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in! - PGM Hulk 181
1 1

21 posts in this topic

1st post - been going thru my collection from back in the late 70's bought with my paper route $$$

Still educating myself on the whole submittal process & 'pressing' which I never heard about until a week or so ago.

This one may be my key issue book in the best shape.  Paper routes didn't pay much. 

Thanks!

IMG_20190208_220641663.thumb.jpg.1801114fc081c2d042a1cb73ed8a1d11.jpgIMG_20190208_220309093.thumb.jpg.8ac0de6c1ea3043ba5e4b2909e423147.jpg

IMG_20190212_053607235.jpg

IMG_20190212_053607235.jpg

IMG_20190212_053601794.jpg

IMG_20190212_053509943.jpg

IMG_20190212_053232354.jpg

IMG_20190212_053821785.jpg

IMG_20190212_053429191.jpg

Edited by csaag
grade rcvd

I will also say in the range of 7.0-7.5 for the reasons above plus the fact that the front cover appears slightly faded. The red seems more orange than it ought to, unless that is the lighting. Not sure if a press would help or not, book looks pretty flat and the spine looks awesome. Would definitely grade it as this book in any grade is money right now.

thanks

cover color does look better live.  My phone camera seems to not do that great a job or I'm a poor photog.

I am sending it in to CFP soon and he'll see if he can do anything with it and then off to CGC

Back in the day when I got this, I remember the copies of AF 15 /FF 1 etc in the glass cases only being a few thousand dollars (though a ton of $$ to me back then)  With a character that has had sustained popularity, it makes me wonder what it will be going for in another 20 years.

a quick search says that means 'Marvel Value Stamp'

Please let me know if I'm wrong

I read the book when I first bought it back then and it's been in storage ever since.  I hope it would've stuck with me if a piece was cut out so I assume it's there.   But I'd have to repage through it to verify.  At this point, I'm getting antsy about handling it so much!

4 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I actually think after a pressing this has potential to reach 8.0-8.5.

This. It's already at 8.0. Spine is smokin' and far over-compensates for the back cover corner chip. 8.5 potential and not more only because of the color-breaking crease on the upper right edge. Color is nice too. You can see the book is a vivid red and not hued toward the orange end of the spectrum in one of those pics. Nice gloss, great spine, great structure, decent centering, no print line or blob distractions... solid 8.0, even with the corner, grade a book on its whole.

What a shame you didn't spend all your route money on more of these!!  You certainly hit a home run with this.  (thumbsu

Edited by James J Johnson

Thanks to all.

Just gingerly paged thru it and everything is intact.  Hope to package it up with several others and ship to CFP.

I imagine it will be a bit of time before it returns, but I'll  update here whenever it gets back home.

Paper route $$$ brought me a lot of joy either occasionally buying ones hanging on the walls (got several  of the dark phoenix run in pretty good shape  for ~$10)  or just thumbing thru the quarter bin looking for favorite issues.  Picked up JLA 4 , Flash 139 for like a buck apiece, of course they're in pretty poor shape

4 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

This. It's already at 8.0. Spine is smokin' and far over-compensates for the back cover corner chip. 8.5 potential and not more only because of the color-breaking crease on the upper right edge. Color is nice too. You can see the book is a vivid red and not hued toward the orange end of the spectrum in one of those pics. Nice gloss, great spine, great structure, decent centering, no print line or blob distractions... solid 8.0, even with the corner, grade a book on its whole.

What a shame you didn't spend all your route money on more of these!!  You certainly hit a home run with this.  (thumbsu

Ok good to know I wasn’t going to be the only one in the 8.0 and above range lol. Mine just came back a 7.0 and this is definitely nicer than mine was by at least a point. But even so and honestly none of the defects scared me from thinking this had 8.0 and up potential. A 9.0 on the other hand though I’d say is a stretch.

Edited by LDarkseid1

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Ok good to know I wasn’t going to be the only one in the 8.0 and above range lol. Mine just came back a 7.0 and this is definitely nicer than mine was by at least a point. But even so and honestly none of the defects scared me from thinking this had 8.0 and up potential. A 9.0 on the other hand though I’d say is a stretch.

The corner eliminates it from 9.0 consideration. The rest of the book would have to be perfect, other than that corner piece defect, for CGC graders to even think of a 9.0, IMO. Early Silver age book? That nice except for the corner? Maybe. But Bronze age with that corner? No.

Edited by James J Johnson

2 hours ago, csaag said:

Wow, I thought this thread was dead. Joeypost is working on it , then off to CGC.  So I imagine it will still be a bit before it shows back up.  Whenever it does I will update.  Thanks to all.

Oops!  I didn't even look at the original post date, it just showed up at the top of the thread when I happened to be looking through lol.. ;)