• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what to do with 90s drek?
5 5

63 posts in this topic

Getting rid of my collection.  I've sold a lot of runs and individual stuff on the forum, but I don't know what to do with high grade drek.  It doesn't seem worth schlepping it to a store, and I can't imagine it's worth the shipping to sell it online.  I'm going to use a little bit of it for some artwork I have in mind, but not much.

They're all bagged and boarded, maybe those are worth selling? :nyah:

Call up a local school.  See if they have any comic book clubs or science fiction reading clubs as part of their extra curricular activities.   

If they do then donate them.

Be aware though that schools and libraries will have their own standards as far as what is acceptable and what is not... so some will wind up in the dumpster. 

For example... your Vampirella books are not making their way into a 6th grade classroom. 

You would be surprised, 90s stuff moves fairly well in dollar boxes at comic cons, especially Marvel.  Dealers would pay anywhere from 20-40 bucks per long depending on what it is.  Anything that isn't off-loadable I would recommend donating to a place that helps with children's literacy (and while I like helping, the type of place that also will provide a receipt for next tax season doesn't hurt either!) (thumbsu

6 minutes ago, SkOw said:

You would be surprised, 90s stuff moves fairly well in dollar boxes at comic cons, especially Marvel.  Dealers would pay anywhere from 20-40 bucks per long depending on what it is.  Anything that isn't off-loadable I would recommend donating to a place that helps with children's literacy (and while I like helping, the type of place that also will provide a receipt for next tax season doesn't hurt either!) (thumbsu

Can you even take a charitable deduction if you don't itemize? Fewer people are itemizing under the new tax law. I lost $30000 of deductions.

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

Can you even take a charitable deduction if you don't itemize? Fewer people are itemizing under the new tax law. I lost $30000 of deductions.

Oregon was so tied to the Fed tax system, that they created a schedule A for use with state returns this year.  So, no, I used the standard deduction for Feds, but could claim charitable donations on my state return.

5 minutes ago, the blob said:

Not a tax expert but I think you would need to itemize rather than taking standard deduction.  But good point, if you don't itemize it really doesn't matter.

13 minutes ago, SkOw said:

I agree, I see people paying $5 BIN on Facebook auctions for pure junk.  I just used to box it up in groups of 25 and sell it on ebay.