• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 - Considering restoration for pen ink removal. Seeking advice

8 posts in this topic

Hi all - First post here, and I am seeking some advice. First, some background.

I am a life long Wolverine fanatic, and in the mid 1990s as a teenager I happened across an Incredible Hulk 181 in the random box at a comic shop. It was apparent to me the shop owner did not know the value of the issue and I picked it up for only a few bucks believe it or not (I’ve had this happen multiple times with Fantastic Four 48, Iron Fist 14, X-Men 58, etc.). Now in my late 30s, I would feel guilty over this and would more than likely notify a shop owner. But - Back to the point, in my teenage years I found my absolute most sought after issue for nothing.

The issue is in fantastic condition, complete with the Marvel Value Stamp. However, some kid back in the 1970s decided to take a red pen to the cover and wrote “Hulk” inside the title as seen in the attached image.

I am considering a restoration job if it is possible to remove the ink without further affecting the cover. I am a fan to the level that our son is named after Logan himself, and I would like to leave it to him one day in as good looking a way as possible.

I never intend to sell it, so I do not care if the restoration affects the value of the issue, I just want it to look more presentable.

I know this is a bit petty, and that I am already incredibly fortunte to obtain one of these iconic issues in the way that I did (believe me I am extremely thankful). I would love to pass it on one day in its best form though, for my little guy.

I would highly appreciate any advice on what best and safest options might be (willing to pay a premium for best services). I would love any advice on companies that do amazing work.

Thanks all!

83DE8A54-8ADF-4565-BD4E-CF2D674C3814.jpeg

You could ask CCS if they can remove the ballpoint pen. Not sure if that's possible, but at least it's not a felt tipped marker where it sunk through to the other side.

That will improve the value of the book... and since it's almost all on white, will probably also improve the appearance... it'd be raw in places, but still look better than a kid's doodle. 

Of course, you could have someone professionally color touch over the pen... but that would severely hurt the value.

Nice book! :)

23 minutes ago, faster friends said:

This is not cost effective. You should sell this copy and then just buy you a more presentable copy to leave to your son.

I agree.

The book looks to be around a 4.5 possibly a 5.0 and the cost of removing the pen (if it can even be done ) will be expensive. In the end you are still left with a 5.0 restored copy.

I like the idea of leaving a copy of Hulk 181 to your son, but why does it have to be this copy? Why not sell it for unrestored dollars, take that money and add some of your own and purchase a CGC'd upgrade.

If you plan on leaving it to your son, leave it to him unrestored and let him make the decision on whether he wants to remove the pen or not. I would be resentful if my dad left me a comic in 40 or 50 years that might be worth a ton of money, but he devalued it by restoring it so it would look better to him. 

I believe ball pen ink is equivalent of black marker pen that may be impossible to be removed.

Right now, everyone desperately want your copy (in any shape). It's in very high demand right now.

Your book may be 3.0 and is now valued at $1500. Four years ago, I sold my 9.6 for $4960 but it is almost tripled!