• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MMC 27 9.6 Single Highest
2 2

75 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

First of all, that upsets me. Ill keep further opinions to myself because I understand there’s many boardies ok with it.

but how do you know those 2 Bat 1s are the same book?

I don't think too many boardies are comfortable with that amount of manipulation. I know I am not.

On 2/14/2019 at 9:05 AM, pemart1966 said:

..and the PQ went up too...

Like the human body rest is an important part of the healing process so yes if you let it just sit and relax for say...a decade or so...the paper can rejuvenate and lighten up. 😂😂

Edited by gino2paulus2
missed page 2

Just blows my mind that anyone would take the risk of pressing an already 5 figure 9.4 book.  Would obviously be curious to know if this was a CCS pressed book... but whatever, at the end of the day pretty much everyone knows the rules of the game and makes their own grown up choice about whether to play or not.

No ones forcing anyone to buy anything, or forcing them to pay a premium for a “highest graded copy” that could be knocked off any day by a previously unknown copy, or by some copy “improved” in a manner they disapprove of.

Buy what you like and can afford.

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

I am going to get crucified for posting these but here is another good example showing how far dry cleaning techniques have progressed.

action38_zps46f1b3d2.jpg

RAD53062201419_16635_zps82940833.jpg

This is a Phenomenal result!!!! Bravo!!

I do think Dry cleaning is a misleading term though I think this book had to have been washed in something I don't know of any other way to remove oxidation of the paper or in other words a dust shadow that is this pronounced. I am still learning so please take with a grain of salt but this looks to have had a bath of some type. PQ did stay the same even though the cover is visibly cleaner and whiter so not sure the cover has anything to do with PQ notation on the label or not I would think it would have to a bit though. For example if just part of the cover was SB even if the all the pages were cream from what I understand it would still get SB.  Either way like I said this result is fantastic this is a gorgeous book man!! 

Edited by gino2paulus2

7 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

This is a Phenomenal result!!!! Dry cleaning is a misleading term though I think this book had to have been washed in something I don't know of any other way to remove oxidation of the paper or a dust shadow in other words that is this pronounced. I am still learning so please take with a grain of salt but this looks to have had a bath of some type. Either way like I said this result is fantastic this is a gorgeous book man!! 

No liquid used, it was dry cleaned,  there was a dust shadow that was removed with gentle erasing.  Same technique was used to remove the pencil mark which is easiest on a white background.

1 hour ago, szav said:

Buy what you like and can afford.

Thats my motto as well!! I thank my lucky stars every day I like flawed books hahaha!! This way I am not bothered by minuscule things like this. I see a 2.0 and know there are flaws. If the book looks pretty enough for me technical grade or not thats the one I buy. NO thousand dollar swings from a 9.2 to 9.4 where I literally couldnt tell the difference outside of the holder and that # at the top (thumbsu

There are actually decent number of people constantly scanning auctions, comic stores, and conventions for upgradable books, and anyone that thinks "thats why I stick with raw books" is kidding themselves.  A ton of raw books jgo through the process.  Where do you think new pressers experiment end up lol

4 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

No liquid used, it was dry cleaned,  there was a dust shadow that was removed with gentle erasing.  Same technique was used to remove the pencil mark which is easiest on a white background.

Even better then!!! Was this a CCS book or did you do the work bc consider me thoroughly impressed!! 

Just now, gino2paulus2 said:

Even better then!!! Was this a CCS book or did you do the work bc consider me thoroughly impressed!! 

lol  I am flattered someone would think I could do that sort of work.

I didn't do it and I can't remember who did it.  The procedure is actually pretty common place now.  I have a super nice Batman 40 that I am sure will go through the process once it gets on the market.

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

lol  I am flattered someone would think I could do that sort of work.

I didn't do it and I can't remember who did it.  The procedure is actually pretty common place now.  I have a super nice Batman 40 that I am sure will go through the process once it gets on the market.

NEVER underestimate a Batman Fan and their abilities

5 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Looks like it is in the next Heritage Auction.

The MMC 27 9.6?  So either the buyer was a flipper, or he just got tired of hearing us talk about his book!  I’ve bought 2 big books that have been the object of intense discussion here on these boards after the fact, and I can tell you its a weird experience

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The MMC 27 9.6?  So either the buyer was a flipper, or he just got tired of hearing us talk about his book!  I’ve bought 2 big books that have been the object of intense discussion here on these boards after the fact, and I can tell you its a weird experience

Or Ritter just consigns books and marks them as sold on his website.

Not to throw water on the fire but you can see visible changes in the roll of the spine on a GA book caused by the encapsulation process itself.  Especially going from an old label to the most recent version.  The process to realign a spine involves opening the book at the center fold, laying it face down, pressing it completely flat then establishing an entirely new spine fold.  This process was not done to the MMC (unless Stephen has lost his mind).  To me, it looks like a beautiful, initially undergraded copy.  As for the PQ, in nearly all of my resubs in a pre 2006 slab they have come back with a better PQ.  Maybe their owl cards are dusty? :whatthe:

8 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Not to throw water on the fire but you can see visible changes in the roll of the spine on a GA book caused by the encapsulation process itself.  Especially going from an old label to the most recent version.  The process to realign a spine involves opening the book at the center fold, laying it face down, pressing it completely flat then establishing an entirely new spine fold.  This process was not done to the MMC (unless Stephen has lost his mind).  To me, it looks like a beautiful, initially undergraded copy.  As for the PQ, in nearly all of my resubs in a pre 2006 slab they have come back with a better PQ.  Maybe their owl cards are dusty? :whatthe:

RE: PQ, pre-2006 CGC was a lot more strict with their PQ assessments. Their grading was not as consistent, but with old/1st gen/original label books you will usually get a PQ bump upon resubmission. Whether the grade improves or drops can vary alot. I picked up a bunch of books that were slabbed in 2001-2002 in a collection last year that are not going for a press and resub since they likely would not improve. Someone else can take that risk if they want. lol 

Edited by kimik