• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Spider-Man #300 Grade is in!!
1 1

33 posts in this topic

Bought this Spider-Man #300 for I think $200 or 225 i forget but it has a couple small spine ticks and a pressing wouldn't hurt any thoughts on a possible grade after a press?

Thanks

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

Edited by billsid
grades in

3 hours ago, Myparentsbasement said:

8.0-8.5

This. Too many flaked spine stresses in that central concentrated area towards the center of the books on the back side of the spine for a CGC 9.0 on this book unless the grading was during a very lenient phase. For the amount paid, the OP did well.

I just had 2 of these graded by CGC ....one of them had never been opened and never read....straight from the rack into a bag and board and boxed for 30 some years....i read the other one maybe twice .......they both came back 9.6 ......that's with never being read and never opened.....no tics no nothing........CGC does not give 9.8 and if you have modern books and you have this many tics your gonna get crushed.....7.5

12 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

This. Too many flaked spine stresses in that central concentrated area towards the center of the books on the back side of the spine for a CGC 9.0 on this book unless the grading was during a very lenient phase. For the amount paid, the OP did well.

there is no such thing as CGC Lenient Phase ............there is only Nit-Pick to death phase.

6 hours ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

I just had 2 of these graded by CGC ....one of them had never been opened and never read....straight from the rack into a bag and board and boxed for 30 some years....i read the other one maybe twice .......they both came back 9.6 ......that's with never being read and never opened.....no tics no nothing........CGC does not give 9.8 and if you have modern books and you have this many tics your gonna get crushed.....7.5

Keep in mind the characteristic nature of the right edge of the front cover on this book. 95% of them are fluted. Scalloped. Cut like a series of tiny, tight sine waves, or the decoratively deckled edge of a doily or old booklet attached photograph, meant to be detached, rather than a sharp, perfectly straight edge, like most post-Bronze ae books. Then, you have "two front covers" to scrutinize for defects, an unforgiving black right edge for the front cover and the same type of unforgiving, corresponding black spine of the back cover. Every tic showing up boldly on both covers! Every little corner puff of white or divit standing out in bold relief. It's like having two AS 28s to pass a certain grade for one book!

Edited by James J Johnson

17 hours ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

what did your grader notes say? just because a comic has never been opened or read does not mean its perfect... grading books page by page i always notice a crease at the centerfold page on lots of books.. sometimes small tears from the press at the bottom of the pages.. these things will effect the grade

17 hours ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

It does not take much to get knocked down from a 9.8 I too have my OO copy ready once and put away. It came back 9.6. After closer examination I can see what that happened. Albeit through a 10x power loop lens.

7 hours ago, john fucsalot said:

what did your grader notes say? just because a comic has never been opened or read does not mean its perfect... grading books page by page i always notice a crease at the centerfold page on lots of books.. sometimes small tears from the press at the bottom of the pages.. these things will effect the grade

grader notes were identical....:".very light spine stress lines right center of back cover...breaks color"    i know just because it's never opened and read doesn't make it a 9.8  .....i get that ...but ..................

10 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

It does not take much to get knocked down from a 9.8 I too have my OO copy ready once and put away. It came back 9.6. After closer examination I can see what that happened. Albeit through a 10x power loop lens.

Thing is, that scrutinized with a 10X lens, nothing would technically stand up to strict 9.8, let alone 9.9 or 10.0! Grading is not meant to take place at that minute level, that is, a level that is proximally beyond the scope of our eyes to see, with book in the hand. At 10 power, the edge of a razor blade starts to look craggy. I'd set the limit for the grade deduction of defects at no more than 3X. That's the way I grade. With a pair of store bought 3X magnifying glasses. 10X is good for resto detection but really well beyond necessary even to assess the strictest of grading standards.

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Thing is, that scrutinized with a 10X lens, nothing would technically stand up to strict 9.8, let alone 9.9 or 10.0! Grading is not meant to take place at that minute level, that is, a level that is proximally beyond the scope of our eyes to see, with book in the hand. At 10 power, the edge of a razor blade starts to look craggy. I'd set the limit for the grade deduction of defects at no more than 3X. That's the way I grade. With a pair of store bought 3X magnifying glasses. 10X is good for resto detection but really well beyond necessary even to assess the strictest of grading standards.

I use a 10 power because I still have my loop from when I worked for pre-press and printing companies. I find it helpful when sending in books for pre-screen. After looking at a lot of CGC graded 9.8's I have a better understanding of what will grade out for my submissions. You are right tho 10 power is overkill.