• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JSC signature opinion

8 posts in this topic

So, looking for opinions.  I bought a bunch of JSC books from his store with signature; but it seems that the market isn't really a fan unless it's SS from one of the two big companies.  It also seems that the Red labels at CBCS don't seem to add much value either, but end up costing as much as if it is SS. Anyway, better to grade and get a qualified signature here, or sell raw?

I would say just do your own research and your own math.  I think using 'sold' prices on ebay should give the data you need for the most part.  You could also look into GPA analysis, which is a paid service telling you the price history of graded comics.  Then factor in the cost of grading (including shipping and insurance to and from CGC), then you can do your own cost/benefit analysis factoring in your own time, money, profit and risk preferences.  It might to some extent depend on the book, the grade, and how the sig looks (both quality and placement), as well as the venue you sell.

@Pirate that’s why I’m asking. In my mind I’d think the red should be better. But since I’m guessing that the perception is that neither one is witnessed and COAs aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on then perhaps a qualified with the COA s the way to go since I’d be cheaper- at least slab wise; but I really don’t have much to go on with respect to the qualified, hence the question.

@revat well that’s not as easy with the qualified books that’s why I guess I was trying to gage the perception?

1 minute ago, mickcatron said:

@Pirate that’s why I’m asking. In my mind I’d think the red should be better. But since I’m guessing that the perception is that neither one is witnessed and COAs aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on then perhaps a qualified with the COA s the way to go since I’d be cheaper- at least slab wise; but I really don’t have much to go on with respect to the qualified, hence the question.

@revat well that’s not as easy with the qualified books that’s why I guess I was trying to gage the perception?

well the perception is that CGC SS is much more valuable than unverified signautres or COA's or green label comics.  BUT that doesn't mean the financial decision is a slam dunk in any one direction. 

For example if you bought a signed JSC comic for $5 and can sell it for $10 online right away, that might be fine for you.  But in some cases in some grades you might be able to get it graded for $20, and net a profit of $10 (as opposed to the $5) or more.  But that then you might have to wait 3 months to get the comic graded, and tie up your money for longer, so the extra $5 profit isn't enough for you.  But maybe if the extra profit is $10, or $20, or $30, or $100, it will be enough for you.  Everyone is different in terms of their preferences.  I provided some criteria to help you make your decision, and you are very reasonably asking for others who you presume to be more knowledgeable to make your decision for you, but ultimately it depends on the specific math and your own preferences.  If you're hitting green label 9.9's and 10's on relatively rare books, it might be worth it to grade  If you overpaid for the raws, it might be a matter of just getting out while you can. If you're hella rich and want to maximize your absolute money (as opposed to ROI) even if it takes more investment and time commitment, then you'll make a different decision.

Those are the things I'd consider, but ultimately making the best financial decisions usually involves putting in some time and work. 

But for the shorter answer:  Probably not worth it to grade, and generally not a great idea to buy signed comics (raw or CGC SS) for flipping purposes (getting comics signed yourself is one thing, but buying at full retail to flip is tough road)

Keep them sealed and sell them raw....Why I buy unsigned from his store..and person_without_enough_empathy at him to sell some unsigned at his booth for the same price...which he wont do anymore...

Edited by gregwynn

On 2/11/2019 at 3:51 PM, mickcatron said:

Guessing is a bad bet if you are looking to resell, do the research and the math. People on this forum will have their own biases but the market speaks for itself. Selling raw signed/sealed is easier on FB or ebay.