• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any luck disputing grades?

7 posts in this topic

I just got back a NTT2 that I thought was a good 9.6 or on a good day 9.8 candidate. It was pressed. I was surprised to get back a 9.2 and especially confused on the only grader notes - "bend left bottom of back corner". There is nothing visible to notate a bend of any kind. Under microscope or tilting with direct light to look for shadows there is nothing there. I contacted CGC and was told to resubmit for review/reholder. My question though has anyone had any luck going down this path? See pics below of the area grader said there was a "bend"

IMG_2193 (002) (003).jpg

IMG_2185 (002) (004).jpg

CGC performs a valuable service. However, because of subjectivity, random chance, and human error, it is not perfect. If this book is extremely important to you, then sure, go for a redo. Otherwise, my advice is to move on.

At some point you’ll get a better grade than you expected. And the universe will balance out a bit.  :)

On 2/11/2019 at 3:35 PM, volsspongebob said:

I just got back a NTT2 that I thought was a good 9.6 or on a good day 9.8 candidate. It was pressed. I was surprised to get back a 9.2 and especially confused on the only grader notes - "bend left bottom of back corner". There is nothing visible to notate a bend of any kind. Under microscope or tilting with direct light to look for shadows there is nothing there. I contacted CGC and was told to resubmit for review/reholder. My question though has anyone had any luck going down this path? See pics below of the area grader said there was a "bend"

IMG_2193 (002) (003).jpg

IMG_2185 (002) (004).jpg

I think I see the bend and it looks pretty obvious to me. The notes say, and I concur, it is on the BC LEFT. You are showing us a closeup of the Back Cover spine area on the right. It may have been a poor job of pressing or it got damaged in shipping.  Before you send it back to CGC, you need to get it properly pressed. Just remember, if you send it back to CGC there will be no freebies. You will be charged for a regrade. I have no idea about the valuation on this book but it doesn't seem worth the expense and effort. 

On 2/11/2019 at 5:13 PM, oldrover said:

CGC performs a valuable service. However, because of subjectivity, random chance, and human error, it is not perfect. If this book is extremely important to you, then sure, go for a redo. Otherwise, my advice is to move on.

At some point you’ll get a better grade than you expected. And the universe will balance out a bit.  :)

I agreee with you, however, if a book is graded 9.2 with a bend referenced in the notes, it is pretty obious this was NOT a grading error. Submitting, as is, for a 'redo' will not accomplish anything. See my comments below, I can clearly see the bend. This book would need to be pressed again and regraded. IMO, it's not worth the expense. (shrug) 

On 2/14/2019 at 1:34 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I agreee with you, however, if a book is graded 9.2 with a bend referenced in the notes, it is pretty obious this was NOT a grading error. Submitting, as is, for a 'redo' will not accomplish anything. See my comments below, I can clearly see the bend. This book would need to be pressed again and regraded. IMO, it's not worth the expense. (shrug) 

Sometimes, I had to tell myself by choosing between it's a worth expense or NOT.  Before both Ms. Marvel #18 and SSM #64 were subbed, SSM #64 looked flawless but Ms Marvel #18 has a tiny color break crease on the upper left corner. I expected to get 9.6 on Ms. Marvel and 9.8 on SSM but it went opposite. I called them about mixing up the grades. They told me no flatly and anything was perfect in order. I knew they made a mistake and their grades still stands. I think the decider (the grader) wrote the wrong grades on both books before QC. Maybe QC mixed it up.

Ms. Marvel #18 CGC 9.8 was sold for over $900. That guy was going to have it signed at the show. I won't be surprised if it got 9.6 afterward. He can lose about $350. I cracked the case (Bob, I am telling you the new case is not hard to be opened) and resubbed SSM #64 without the label. It came back with 9.8. So, my expense was a worthy one even I knew they made the mistake even they won't admit.

It's hard to say on the "worth it" side. The difference in price between 9.2 and 9.4 is like $15 right now. $100 between 9.2 and 9.6.  You won't get rich, but you might cover your expenses depending on if the book improves enough.  And sometimes it the principle, darn it! :D 

I'd also mention that I have seen lots of 9.6's with a notation of a "bend" somewhere on the book. 

And finally - as I've mentioned lots of times before - grading notes are nothing more than the defects graders took the time to write down. They are not an exhaustive list of every single defect. Repressed and regraded maybe it will come back a 9.6. Maybe it will come back again as a 9.2 with a different defect noted.