• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored Grade

24 posts in this topic

How does the Restored purple label grade work?  If I have a 6.0 Restored comic does that mean it is in 6.0 condition despite (before) the restoration applied, or is it brought up to a 6.0 because of the restoration?

Stated another way: if I have a Restored 6.0 and I could magically remove all of the restoration would it then grade at a Blue 6.0, or would it more likely be a Blue 5.0?

I realize this is a super basic question, but I just spent 30 minutes reading CGC info pages and couldn't find a clear answer.

Edited by Saint_Doyle

18 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

6.0 because of the restoration, meaning that if CGC couldn't tell the book was restored, it would be a 6.0 book. The restoration doesn't negatively affect the grade, just the label.

I'm not sure this is true or maybe but I'm not clear on what you are saying. (shrug). Unlike the Green Qualified Labe, where the flaw is ignored in the grade, I thought the Restored Purple Label will have the flaws included in the grade. Let's say you have a subscription crease with CT. The CT is noted on the label and the subscription crease is counted against the grade. 

16 hours ago, SBRobin said:

6.0 because of the restoration, meaning that if CGC couldn't tell the book was restored, it would be a 6.0 book. The restoration doesn't negatively affect the grade, just the label.

I'm curious about this now.

I always thought what they were saying is if the color touch wasn't there covering the crease, then the crease would be more visible and would affect the grade down.

2 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

I'm curious about this now.

I always thought what they were saying is if the color touch wasn't there covering the crease, then the crease would be more visible and would affect the grade down.

I think you’re both saying the same thing. CGC says on Purples that it is an APPARENT 6.0... i.e. it looks like a 6.0, but it’s been restored to look that way. Then you go to the notes to see the details. Minor amateur color touch... drops the potential value less... professionals adding large pieces to the cover... drops the potential value more. But the grade is what it LOOKS like. 

I think there's a distinction.

What he seems to be saying is they know the color touch is there, and without the color touch the grade would be 6.

What I'm saying is they know the color touch is there, and without the color touch the grade would be 4.5.

If they add pieces, and the grade is 9.4, the grade might be 5.0  without the pieces, but now it looks like a 9.4.

38 minutes ago, sledgehammer said:

I think there's a distinction.

What he seems to be saying is they know the color touch is there, and without the color touch the grade would be 6.

What I'm saying is they know the color touch is there, and without the color touch the grade would be 4.5.

If they add pieces, and the grade is 9.4, the grade might be 5.0  without the pieces, but now it looks like a 9.4.

I'm as confused as anybody on the grading for a Restored. Years ago, I inquired on the grade of a Restored book and I was told the book is not graded by what it looks like. I remember I had a tear seal on the spine. I was told the grade reflected the fact that the tear seal was there, doesn't matter that it was sealed. You can't cover up a flaw and expect the flaw to be absent from the grade. I may wrong but this is what I was told. However, as with all things CGC, they can do whatever they want, on any given day.

5 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Having submitted a few restored books for grading recently, I can say they’ve graded them based on how they look. I’ve disagreed with some of those grades, but I’ve disagreed with some non-restored grades too. :)

Then I must have gotten screwed on my restored books because they were not graded on how they looked.  Here's an example of a book I still have. Can you honestly say it looks like a 5.5 ?  If they graded it on how it 'looks' this would have been a 9.4. It doesn't work that way. 

2001141309241.jpg

13 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Then I must have gotten screwed on my restored books because they were not graded on how they looked.  Here's an example of a book I still have. Can you honestly say it looks like a 5.5 ?  If they graded it on how it 'looks' this would have been a 9.4. It doesn't work that way. 

2001141309241.jpg

How can one tell from that photo? LOL

I thought my AF 15 would be an 8.0 or better. But it had an almost imperceptible crease on the back cover that most people HERE didn't see right off when I scanned it.

Hey, I'm just sharing my experience. It is what it is.

2 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Go to the CGC grading scale page. Below the regular grades is the Restoration Grading Scale. It goes into, or tries to, describe how different restoration affects the grade.

It doesn't, really. It just describes how THEY describe what restoration has been done.

It is a helpful page but it only describes how CGC assigns the Quality and Quantity scale, like C-1, etc. Outsode of the restoration, nothing is discussed or explained how the grade of the book is assigned. Rover and I may be in agreement, but it seems we have a different viewpoint as to grade. I think the restoration is not ignored but held against the grade. You have a crease covered by CT, the crease counts against the grade, it is not ignored. In any case, it doesn't matter but the OP asked.  

Yes the writing is vague so in the end you're still stuck at what ever CGC says..... goes. I'm just going to assume that if you have a really nice looking book (NM) but you have restoration from list C you are going to take a big hit. A little less hit with list B and maybe very little of a grade shift if from list A.  Maybe that was the case with oldrovers book. ??? Great appearance but 1 or more from Group C. This is only a guess.

7 hours ago, oldrover said:

Pretty sure it was the creases on the back. The work done was very good.

9E912C52-8BB5-4976-AC03-DC9DC0FEED1D.thumb.jpeg.a254d6bc3fb97ca1da2bcfbe96f692ef.jpeg

Or the re-glossing, right?  It's a restoration technique that I think a lot of collectors would avoid, probably a technique that would drag down a grade. 

Is re-glossing generally despised?  That's my impression.

9 hours ago, oldrover said:

Pretty sure it was the creases on the back. The work done was very good.

9E912C52-8BB5-4976-AC03-DC9DC0FEED1D.thumb.jpeg.a254d6bc3fb97ca1da2bcfbe96f692ef.jpeg

Again I'm gonna assume that it's the many types of restoration that took the grade down. Maybe each defect that was fixed/ improved took the grade down a notch. Without a better explanation from the experts themselves we can only come up with ideas.