• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

got my first submission back

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I got my first 6 comics back from cgc a few weeks ago, most of them came back 9.2 and up but one came back 6.5 new teen titans #2 

on the grader, notes say: bend right top of front cover
bend top of front cover
multiple bend
spine stress lines

I'm wondering if i sent it back and have it pressed how much would it change the grade? I did not have it press when I sent it in the first time 

it also depends on your ultimate goals and costs involved. How much to press? How much to regrade? What is your expected grade (and the value of the comic at that grade) after the press?  How confident are you in your ability to grade?  Can you afford to tie up your money for a few more months? 

Agree with all said above and looking at most recent GPA sales if a press does give you an upgrade - 

6.5 Feb, 2019 $135

7.0 Oct, 2018 $139

7.5 Feb, 2019 $135

8.0 Jan, 2019 $200

8.5 Jan, 2019 $123 

Even at a huge increase to 9.0 or 9.2

9.0 Jan, 2019 $195

9.2 Jan, 2019 $173

Again these are the most sales, there were some slighter higher and lower prior but the trend seems to be downward.  

But jut the financials would say you're losing with what you already have in it and then added costs of pressing, grading, and shipping/insurance - it's not worth it.

And it could even drop in grade even with a press but we'll assume it will remain the same or go up in grade but the value just isn't there, imo.

20 minutes ago, telerites said:

Agree with all said above and looking at most recent GPA sales if a press does give you an upgrade - 

6.5 Feb, 2019 $135

7.0 Oct, 2018 $139

7.5 Feb, 2019 $135

8.0 Jan, 2019 $200

8.5 Jan, 2019 $123 

Even at a huge increase to 9.0 or 9.2

9.0 Jan, 2019 $195

9.2 Jan, 2019 $173

Again these are the most sales, there were some slighter higher and lower prior but the trend seems to be downward.  

But jut the financials would say you're losing with what you already have in it and then added costs of pressing, grading, and shipping/insurance - it's not worth it.

And it could even drop in grade even with a press but we'll assume it will remain the same or go up in grade but the value just isn't there, imo.

This is probably the right answer...but...

On the other hand, maybe this is a beloved copy that your dad gave you as your first comic, and you dress like Deathstroke every year for Halloween (and occasionally on Easter), to the point where your family thinks you're strange, and you want to keep and protect it for your entire life and pass on to your grandkids, in which case it might make sense to preserve it in the best possible condition, even if the financial math isn't ideal.  Every situation is different.