• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chicago comic shop to be given away

184 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Leo-man said:

He will only hold the contest if 500 applications are received.

If 400 applications are received...not contest...but the application fees are non-refundable. So, in that instance he would keep the money and not hold the contest.

So, there's not a scenario where he is only reading 20 applications.

it is 500 or 2/28, whichever comes first.

4 minutes ago, Leo-man said:

If 400 applications are received...not contest...but the application fees are non-refundable. So, in that instance he would keep the money and not hold the contest.

hm

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, Bird said:

it is 500 or 2/28, whichever comes first.

Incorrect.

The minimum to hold the contest is 500 applications.

There is a maximum of 2,000 total applications.

So if 2,000 applications are received before 2/28...yes the contest moves forward early. But if 2/28 arrives and only 450 applications are submitted, the contest does not happen.

11 minutes ago, Leo-man said:

If 400 applications are received...at $25 each...I imagine he would need to refund the $10,000 he got in application fees, if he refuses to hold the contest. I don't think you can get away with keeping the money and not having the contest, regardless of his disclaimers.

7 minutes ago, Leo-man said:

Incorrect.

The minimum to hold the contest is 500 applications.

There is a maximum of 2,000 total applications.

So if 2,000 applications are received before 2/28...yes the contest moves forward early. But if 2/28 arrives and only 450 applications are submitted, the contest does not happen.

Yes I was wrong.

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If 400 applications are received...at $25 each...I imagine he would need to refund the $10,000 he got in application fees, if he refuses to hold the contest. I don't think you can get away with keeping the money and not having the contest, regardless of his disclaimers.

That's why you have to read closely the terms and conditions. As noted...he is a lawyer.

Here's the link to the terms: https://www.chimerascomics.com/win-a-comic-book-store-terms-and-conditions/

Of particular interest are terms, 3, 4, 5, & 6.

"Application Fee. The “Application Fee” shall equal twenty five dollars ($25 USD) and is nonrefundable, regardless of whether or not the Minimum Number of Applicants has been reached (as further defined herein).

Acceptance. Upon payment of the Application Fee, each Applicant represents that they have read, understand, and accept the Terms in their entirety and agree to be bound by same.

Contest Term. The contest shall run from February 1, 2019 through February 28, 2019, or until the calendar day upon which the total number of Applicants equals two thousand (2,000) (such number, the “Maximum Number of Applicants”), whichever is sooner (in either case, such period of time shall be further referred to as the “Term”).

Minimum Number of Applicants. The Prize (as further defined herein) shall only be awarded if the total number of Applicants is at least five hundred (500) (the “Minimum Number of Applicants”) prior to the expiration of the Term."

Any lawyers can comment on the legalities of this?  An entry fee for a contest which may or may not happen?  Isnt that gambling?

@Buzzetta

Edited by kav

I didn't see the minimum in the link at the beginning of the thread OR Bleeding Cool, only when I clicked through to the terms. :whatthe:

I once entered a contest for a "dream house" in Maine that was run much the same as this one but it never went off and no monies were collected in the end.

1 minute ago, Leo-man said:

That's why you have to read closely the terms and conditions. As noted...he is a lawyer.

Here's the link to the terms: https://www.chimerascomics.com/win-a-comic-book-store-terms-and-conditions/

Of particular interest are terms, 3, 4, 5, & 6.

"Application Fee. The “Application Fee” shall equal twenty five dollars ($25 USD) and is nonrefundable, regardless of whether or not the Minimum Number of Applicants has been reached (as further defined herein).

Acceptance. Upon payment of the Application Fee, each Applicant represents that they have read, understand, and accept the Terms in their entirety and agree to be bound by same.

Contest Term. The contest shall run from February 1, 2019 through February 28, 2019, or until the calendar day upon which the total number of Applicants equals two thousand (2,000) (such number, the “Maximum Number of Applicants”), whichever is sooner (in either case, such period of time shall be further referred to as the “Term”).

Minimum Number of Applicants. The Prize (as further defined herein) shall only be awarded if the total number of Applicants is at least five hundred (500) (the “Minimum Number of Applicants”) prior to the expiration of the Term."

Right..and I don't think those terms will hold up, regardless of who assents to them. I could be mistaken, but I don't believe someone can accept payment and then have performance be contingent on the participation of others. That's just "send me your money, and get nothing in return." Since it's described as a fee, rather than a donation, I don't *think" it will fly.

(shrug)

3 hours ago, Leo-man said:

Be wary...

$25 non refundable application fee.

Financials will not be shared until a winner is selected under NDA. At that point the winner can decline to accept the offer.

Winner must negotiate the lease and establish a diamond account.

This shop does not deal in back issues.

That's probably why it's closing up.

3 minutes ago, Mike's Rack said:

Maybe they ask for a non refundable pull box fee for your books, whether or not they show up-

3 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Chimera’s used to have a third location in Woodridge, IL, but it has since closed.     Probably didn’t help that Graham Crackers has four stores in that same vicinity.  Wonder if the Oak Lawn giveaway correlates.

I haven’t been to any of Chimera’s locations in years, but I always found their back issue selection to be severely lacking.

There were zero back issues until maybe a month or two before they closed, and the selection at that time was sparse (I'd estimate about 200 random issues in total).

I thought the Woodridge location had potential.  It was nice having a shop in the area, and it was located in (what seemed like) a decent location.  Graham Crackers was still about a 20 minute drive away.  If a comic shop is run the right way, I think the area could support it.

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

The contents of the shop are worth far more than 3K.

When the Woodridge shop was closing, they had a big 50% off closeout sale.  However, most of the stock was already shipped out of that store to the other two locations.  I'm not saying that that's what is going to happen here, but the contents of the store today may not be the same as the contents of the store upon the keys being turned over.

16 minutes ago, Mike's Rack said:

Ha! Many shops can operate without back issues. Challenger's Comics in Chicagon would be a good example of that.

One issue could be two other comic shops less then 10 mins driving from this shop. Both of which have been established for 20+ years. And for new releases, one offers 15% off on the day of release without needing a subscription. So if new books are your main focus...you really need to think about how you differentiate yourself from the other shops that are so close to you.

4 hours ago, tv horror said:

Actually I just viewed a video on Youtube featuring a comic store in this very area but it looked like a goldmine for early comics. I wonder is there any connection, maybe someone from Chicago could help, all except you Mr Capone. :bigsmile:

One Stop is in Oak Park, the Chimera store is in Oak Lawn.  They’re nowhere near each other.

17 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

One Stop is in Oak Park, the Chimera store is in Oak Lawn.  They’re nowhere near each other.

Oak Park, Oak Lawn, Oakland...it's all very oak-ey, with notes of cherry and vanilla...

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

1 hour ago, kav said:

Any lawyers can comment on the legalities of this?  An entry fee for a contest which may or may not happen?  Isnt that gambling?

@Buzzetta

I wouldn't touch this "opportunity" in any capacity. 

Over the summer, someone I know was interested in buying a pizza place, a bakery, and eventually a tanning salon.  In each incident I was asked to tag along and get a feel for the situation.  In each case I shook my head and spotted discrepancies and BS before her team did, just by talking to the owners trying to sell.  I asked a few questions that they could not answer nor were they expecting me to ask.  Just based upon the potential liability and the way this 'contest' is worded I would run very far away from it.  For the record, I did actually eat some pizza, ate some cannoli, and actually for the first time in my life went for an artificial tan.  

With that said, my actual occupation has never been discussed and while a few people around here know I would prefer not to discuss what I do... 

Let's keep up with the theme though... 

Edited by Buzzetta