• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chicago comic shop to be given away

184 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

There were zero back issues until maybe a month or two before they closed, and the selection at that time was sparse (I'd estimate about 200 random issues in total).

I thought the Woodridge location had potential.  It was nice having a shop in the area, and it was located in (what seemed like) a decent location.  Graham Crackers was still about a 20 minute drive away.  If a comic shop is run the right way, I think the area could support it.

The Woodridge location most assuredly had potential considering Hollywood Boulevard was practically next door.  Mom and/or dad has a few during a showing of the latest superhero movie to hit big screen, then they walk out at the end and the kids say "Oh look, a comic shop!  Let's go!"  Heck, there's probably plenty of unaccompanied adults that would have had some 16 ounce sized spending inspiration.  Execution on the concept must have been poor (I never bothered to visit that location, so I'm just speculating).

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I am going to give away my entire comic book collection. I will be giving them away to the person who writes, in 500 words or less, the best reason as to why they should be the recipient of my collection. My collection is worth at least $10,000. I love my collection, but I can no longer devote the time or energy to its maintenance as I have. This is not a raffle, not a drawing or a lottery. This is entirely merit-based and I will decide the winner in my sole and absolute discretion.

There will be a $100 non refundable application fee. Applications are due by May 31, or until I receive 10,000 applications, whichever comes first.

Brilliant, no?

where can I send my essay?

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

my actual occupation has never been discussed and while a few people around here know I would prefer not to discuss what I do... 

Let's keep up with the theme though... 

Hey I also swim with the fishes!

aquaman.jpg

27 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

How would he be able to go thru the 2000 applications? 200 alone would take a ton of time and he wants to wrap this up in a few weeks?

I would think the swimsuit competition would carry the most weight, but that is just my opinion.

Edited by batman_fan

24 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

So the prize will only be awarded if the contest meets the minimum of 500 applicants. If there is only 400 then he gets to just call off the contest and keep the $10,000 for himself. What a scam.

Yes.

And if that winner is interested in the business after getting to review financials under NDA. If accepted after review of financials...then the winner has to satisfy the other requirements in the terms and conditions.

If the winner doesn't want it, I guess he can just keep the application fees and do something else with the store (likely just sell it outright).

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

How would he be able to go thru the 2000 applications? 200 alone would take a ton of time and he wants to wrap this up in a few weeks?

He already knows who the winner is going to be. The rest of the applications are solely for the cash windfall.

He will "gift" the store to someone, and then after a few months he will be back in the fold as a partner.

Whatever.

20 hours ago, tv horror said:
20 hours ago, Leo-man said:

Totally differently run comic shop. And in a wealthier suburb. Probably about a 40 minute drive from Oak Lawn.

One stop has extensive back issues. Last I recall, they have photocopies of the expensive books on the wall and you have to ask to see them. I didn't get the sense that you would find bargins there ... but when you're one of the few deep back-issue stores in or around Chicago ... then there's no need to bargin price.

Yes this store owner loved his back issues in fact he came across that he hated selling them. 

He sets up at Wizard Chicago.

Last year he didn't want to sell the books he brought to the show.

He had a couple of boxes of high grade silver age Marvels behind the booth, un priced.

I had a wad of cash in my pocket.

It was spent elsewhere.

This guy is :screwy: :screwy:

Also, he likes to raise the prices on his books after you pick them out.

14 hours ago, mattn792 said:
17 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

There were zero back issues until maybe a month or two before they closed, and the selection at that time was sparse (I'd estimate about 200 random issues in total).

I thought the Woodridge location had potential.  It was nice having a shop in the area, and it was located in (what seemed like) a decent location.  Graham Crackers was still about a 20 minute drive away.  If a comic shop is run the right way, I think the area could support it.

The Woodridge location most assuredly had potential considering Hollywood Boulevard was practically next door.  Mom and/or dad has a few during a showing of the latest superhero movie to hit big screen, then they walk out at the end and the kids say "Oh look, a comic shop!  Let's go!"  Heck, there's probably plenty of unaccompanied adults that would have had some 16 ounce sized spending inspiration.  Execution on the concept must have been poor (I never bothered to visit that location, so I'm just speculating).

Did someone say Woodridge? I used to live 5 minutes from that store; the location (to me) seemed great. There is a Graham Crackers in Naperville and Downers Grove (probably 15-20 mins west/north from Chimera's in Woodridge), but as far as I know there aren't many comic stores further south, out by Lemont, Bolingbrook, etc. That's where they could have potentially pulled in new returning customers; as said before thrift buyers from the movie theater next door should have been good, too. The back issue stock was very sparse and completely random. They had the space to add more but instead did some odd gaming thing.

As to One Stop, I went there once and was amazed by the amount of comics. Probably a lot of great overlooked items in there, but when I went (this was a few years ago), if you wanted to look at back issues you had to specifically ask for it. No digging to be had.

Finally, when did the 2nd and Charles in Aurora close? Was going to head over there tomorrow and it is no longer.

2 minutes ago, Timmay said:

He sets up at Wizard Chicago.

Last year he didn't want to sell the books he brought to the show.

He had a couple of boxes of high grade silver age Marvels behind the booth, un priced.

I had a wad of cash in my pocket.

It was spent elsewhere.

This guy is :screwy: :screwy:

Also, he likes to raise the prices on his books after you pick them out.

I have never liked that practice. If he had a sign on the front that said in advance that "Prices on these books will be changed to current market" then the potential buyer is warned and can make the decision on whether they want to waste their time or not.

You people are overestimating the need for back issues to survive in this market. Go to most shops and ask how much their priced (non-wall) back issues do in business for them every month. (Not talking about dollar or 50-cent overstock; I'm talking about your regular back issues.) I suspect that for most shops, that number is less than 5% of their business. Very few people are walking into comic shops nowadays looking for Silver Surfer #85 or whatever. 

Most comic shops make their money on new comics/trades/CCG. That is their bread and butter. The fact that shops waste a lot of floor space on merchandise that doesn't sell has always been baffling to me. A lot of very good comic shops have little or no back issues.

Case in point; the Fat Jack's here in Philly that is having money problems has a huge area for back issues -- probably close to 500 square feet. I never see anyone looking through those books. Never. Yet 1/3 of his shop is wasted on it. 

I don't think in any way this is a bad thing that this store has no back issues. What you're getting -- which is worth a lot more than the stock itself -- is the customer base. If you can maintain that base and find ways to grow it, then you have a successful business ahead. 

Edited by RCheli

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I would think the swimsuit competition would carry the most weight, but that is just my opinion.

If there is one group of people in the world that I would LEAST want to see in a swimsuit competition, it would definitely be prospective comic shop owners.

17 minutes ago, RCheli said:

You people are overestimating the need for back issues to survive in this market. Go to most shops and ask how much their priced (non-wall) back issues do in business for them every month. (Not talking about dollar or 50-cent overstock; I'm talking about your regular back issues.) I suspect that for most shops, that number is less than 5% of their business. Very few people are walking into comic shops nowadays looking for Silver Surfer #85 or whatever. 

Most comic shops make their money on new comics/trades/CCG. That is their bread and butter. The fact that shops waste a lot of floor space on merchandise that doesn't sell has always been baffling to me. A lot of very good comic shops have little or no back issues.

Case in point; the Fat Jack's here in Philly that is having money problems has a huge area for back issues -- probably close to 500 square feet. I never see anyone looking through those books. Never. Yet 1/3 of his shop is wasted on it. 

I don't think in any way this is a bad thing that this store has no back issues. What you're getting -- which is worth a lot more than the stock itself -- is the customer base. If you can maintain that base and find ways to grow it, then you have a successful business ahead. 

I agree. And with this "opportunity" they will not share any of the subscriber base numbers to potential applicants. The selected winner will be shared that info under NDA. So, how can one value that component when there isn't transparency with it?