• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chicago comic shop to be given away

184 posts in this topic

I am thinking of starting a contest / give away.

My thought is I offer to give away $1,000.

All someone needs to do to get the money is write me a short note as to why they deserve it AND pay a "small" entry fee (say $25).

I then accept maybe 500 - 2,000 applications and pick one that I think really exemplifies why someone deserve the $1,000.

The only thing that would make this plan better is if my best friend (or maybe a family member) just happened to write the "best" and "winning" note.

I love it when a plan comes together.

:banana::roflmao:

1 minute ago, Hudson said:

I am thinking of starting a contest / give away.

My thought is I offer to give away $1,000.

All someone needs to do to get the money is write me a short note as to why they deserve it AND pay a "small" entry fee (say $25).

I then accept maybe 500 - 2,000 applications and pick one that I think really exemplifies why someone deserve the $1,000.

The only thing that would make this plan better is if my best friend (or maybe a family member) just happened to write the "best" and "winning" note.

I love it when a plan comes together.

:banana::roflmao:

PM sent!

I can only hope the guy who 'legitimately' 'won' it dumps a ton of money into it and loses his shirt.  And his pants.

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

You’re saying he gets to keep his hat?

Screenshot 2019-06-23 at 5.08.21 PM.png

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Someone did this recently "giving" a house away in Canada. Don't remember how it turned out, but they caught a lot of flack for it. 

Based upon her Facebook page...the contest for the house was extended to July 5. There's also a recent video update. "Write A Letter Win A House"

45 minutes ago, Leo-man said:

Based upon her Facebook page...the contest for the house was extended to July 5. There's also a recent video update. "Write A Letter Win A House"

I'm sure it will be the letter and solely the letter that determines the winner.

On 3/14/2019 at 1:09 PM, dupont2005 said:

He made 10 grand in entry fees and is free to give the store to a personal friend if he feels like it. I remember before the old LCS liquidated in 2008 they tried to sell for exactly that with no buyers

Called it 

I am giving away a college education entry fee is $1000 for four years of tuition.  Aw damn thx for all the entries my son just so happened to win the contest!  Later!

19 hours ago, kav said:

what a amazing coincidence the guy's buddy was the one who won the contest!!!  This is astonishing a coincidence like that!!  WOW

Well, it isn't that shocking that someone who shops at the store and has an interest in the store might be FB friends with the store/owner. With that said, this guy is a lawyer, and while this isn't him practicing law, if this was always intended to go to the friend and the "contest" was a scam, he could lose his license.

On 2/12/2019 at 2:25 PM, engelhard said:

anyone who lives in IL and about 2 hours away from  chicago says they live in chicago... i was out of state and met some people from il.. oh cool i live in chicago im in the south loop where you at?.. they said naperville

I grew up three miles from this shop. My neighborhood is actually in Chicago, which Oak Lawn borders. There is a solid but small-ish LCS a mile away (All American on 95th between Kedzie & Pulaski; I rode my bike there to buy the Punisher mini off the shelf in 1986) vs Chimera (also on 95th but just west of Cicero). Does that part of the city/SW suburbs have enough interest to support two brick-and-mortars just a mile apart? I actually don't think that they do, as they couldn't even pull that off successfully in the '80s. I have fond memories of that little part of the world, but not a chance in hell that I would be applying for that contest, even if the entry fee was zero. 

Edited by Sideshow Bob

5 hours ago, the blob said:

Well, it isn't that shocking that someone who shops at the store and has an interest in the store might be FB friends with the store/owner. With that said, this guy is a lawyer, and while this isn't him practicing law, if this was always intended to go to the friend and the "contest" was a scam, he could lose his license.

I don’t think the owner is a lawyer

16 hours ago, kav said:

His linked in profile says he is still a lawyer and employed by a pretty big, reputable, firm, although my guess is that he is employed as a contract lawyer given he has so many other things going on that an associate would not be allowed to have. He went to U. Chicago law school, so he has to be smart, at least book smart.