• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me decide on a collection.
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I received a phone call about a week ago from a women trying to sell her sons comics. Right away I found out that he was 53 and she had his permission to sell them. She thought he collected until he went away to college around 1986. She says someone looked at them last month and offered her cover price for everything, but her son said they were worth much more.  

I drove over to look at them and was disappointed to find they were almost all DCs, ranging from .35 cent cover up to.50 cents, a couple dozen Dollar titles, with a few earlier BA books and a couple later, including a first print Killing Joke. Nice but not spectacular shape. Roughly 300 books.  I told her I'd get back to her today with an offer.  I'm thinking fifty cents a piece is too much to pay for these but I hate to think that well preserved forty year old DCs aren't worth their original cover price.  I'm torn on buying them. 

6 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I received a phone call about a week ago from a women trying to sell her sons comics. Right away I found out that he was 53 and she had his permission to sell them. She thought he collected until he went away to college around 1986. She says someone looked at them last month and offered her cover price for everything, but her son said they were worth much more.  

I drove over to look at them and was disappointed to find they were almost all DCs, ranging from .35 cent cover up to.50 cents, a couple dozen Dollar titles, with a few earlier BA books and a couple later, including a first print Killing Joke. Nice but not spectacular shape. Roughly 300 books.  I told her I'd get back to her today with an offer.  I'm thinking fifty cents a piece is too much to pay for these but I hate to think that well preserved forty year old DCs aren't worth their original cover price.  I'm torn on buying them. 

Gonna be a lot of work unloading them.  I'd pass.

Killing Joke is probably a $50 book, but if you can't identify a few more $10-15 candidates in the pile you have a lot of work ahead of you. I buy this stuff 3 for $2, but I don't hoover it up, I am selective, try to get the copies closest to NM. If the collection is heavy on Batman/Detective from that era I think you have a decent chance even absent semi-keys. There is a Batman market in strict 8.5 or better even for filler books from that era, but that market might cap out at $4-$5 a pop.

"Nice but not spectacular shape."   - Can you be a bit more specific?  9.0?  8.0?  7.0?

And what are the most frequent titles?  Batman and Detective will always move.  And if there is hi grade JLA, I would take those off your hands. 

I would reply “Your son’s collection is very nice but when I went back and looked at what I already have there is very little I need for my collection so I will sadly have to pass.  Good luck in selling the collection, I am certain there is someone out there that will be very excited to acquire it”

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I would reply “Your son’s collection is very nice but when I went back and looked at what I already have there is very little I need for my collection so I will sadly have to pass.  Good luck in selling the collection, I am certain there is someone out there that will be very excited to acquire it”

Very tactful - better than my thought of showing up with one Benjamin and saying take it or leave it

1 hour ago, Phicks said:

"Nice but not spectacular shape."   - Can you be a bit more specific?  9.0?  8.0?  7.0?

And what are the most frequent titles?  Batman and Detective will always move.  And if there is hi grade JLA, I would take those off your hands. 

I'd say most of the books would be 8.0-9.0.  A few Batman but just as many, Claw, Steel and other winners.  DCs of this era were very slow sellers. I didn't carry the full DC line in my store as some titles simply didn't sell enough copies to meet the minimum purchase for that issue. 

4 hours ago, Bird said:

Very tactful - better than my thought of showing up with one Benjamin and saying take it or leave it

And by one Benjamin he means this book:

674179.jpg

There are some semi-keys from that time, though. Firestorm #1 or Black Lightning #1. First Deadshot in Detective/Rogers and Englehart in that title, too. Joker #1 (though I think that's at 25-center). A VF Killing Joke #1 can get you $50. And Batmans from the late 70s sell pretty well.

Not every collection needs to include a $100 book.

12 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

Arak Son of Thunder

Caption Atom

DC Star Trek

Night Force

The Warlord

:acclaim:

Well, they sell in my $1 bins eventually...

I think it all depends on how you're trying to sell the books. For me, who does very little mail order, I would put the comics from a collection like this in my $1, $3, and $5 bins and they'd sell. If you're selling here or eBay, it may not be worth your while.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:47 PM, shadroch said:

Are you torn on buying them because you aren't getting many calls like this where you live now?

2 hours ago, the blob said:

Are you torn on buying them because you aren't getting many calls like this where you live now?

That is part of it, but I have a strange feeling on this one. It sounds weird but I have an emotional connection to it.  I think this woman needs money and her son is trying to sell his comics to help her. If they don't sell, I just might end up overpaying for them. It's not about the money.